Sri Lankan players attacked in Pakistan?!

I just love how so many people here can hear about a tragedy like this, and think it is the perfect opportunity to start going around and saying 'Hah, told you so, Pakistan isn't safe! Nah nah nah nah!'. Fantastic work. Does that make you feel proud?

Yeah I did also notice this. Pretty pathetic, I thought. Almost like people think they have now got one up on people like zMario :noway

Its a sad day for cricket. Its good thing that all the Sri Lankan players are safe from any major injuries. RIP to the security guards , without them I dont know what couldve happened. I really feel for all the Pakistan cricket fans, they really dont deserve this.

It's shame for Cricket . Terrorist of Pakistan made Pakistan shameful. I think nobody will ever go again in Pakistan for playing.

I remember and I wanted to salute the British cricketers who again returned to India after 26/11. They were brave and supportive:).

Another thing, Indian cricketers wore black band to bring some contrast on this event.

Last edited:
zmario can't do anything.. why even Pakistan govt or cricket board can't do anything on these if heartless people exist on this earth wanting the life of others.

One thing which is to be blamed is, Lankan's bold move to send the team to tour Pakistan.

May be one idea is, to have Pakistan tours in Toronto. Anyone remember? India-Pakistan matches have taken place in Toronto many times. So Toronto and Sharjah can be a place for Pakistan tours by other international countries.

I was feeling very bad when I read the news this afternoon from my office in the net. I didnt still see any videos or any TV news but killing of one's life is THE WORST thing on this that could ever happen! :rolleyes:

I think the quotes from Muttiah Muralitharan are the most touching and sum up the situation. He said he looked out of the coach window and saw the guys with machine guns, and saw a rocket launcher pointed at the coach and thought that was it for him, he honestly thought he was going to die there and then. It's amazing that they're alive actually, there was apparently a grenade thrown at the coach, which was mis-directed, and then the terrorists had a rocket launcher pointed at the coach also, but that attempt also failed. Horrible situation for the Sri Lankan team, but it could have been a heck of alot worse.

I just gotta say that that's just effed up. I can't believe having to face your death and having it so plainly in front of you. Thank God they're alive. And I hope for the best to those that have had loved ones killed.

prarara added 4 Minutes and 8 Seconds later...

Don't worry. He'll drag himself into it.

Anyways, Cricinfo - 'I'm happy we didn't tour Pakistan' - Dhoni is stupid from Dhoni. Was there any need to say it?

The media always takes one flippant quote and blows it out of proportion. I feel as though he meant to say, that he's glad he's not in that situation and hopes for the best. Vettori, of course made the better remarks regarding the situation. Dhoni is a more brusque person, and will not tiptoe around certain issues.

I just love how so many people here can hear about a tragedy like this, and think it is the perfect opportunity to start going around and saying 'Hah, told you so, Pakistan isn't safe! Nah nah nah nah!'. Fantastic work. Does that make you feel proud?

Incredible. Horrible. To be brutally frank, these sort of incidents are expected in Pakistan, and have been going on for a very long time. Pakistan usually isn't a safe place to visit.

However, there has always been one thing about Pakistan for as long as I know, and that is that Cricketer are hands off. Cricket is what all the Pakistanis had a chance to cheer for. Cricket was one of the last few joys in an existence where they could die any day. Imran Khan, Wasim, Kamran Abbasi, etc. all argued for Pakistan playing cricket, cause they all knew theat 2 things stood true. Cricket was happiness for Pakistan, and the Cricketers were off limits. Terrorists, for all they would do, would not attack the cricketers, especially if unprovoked. They enjoyed their cricket, they enjoyed their sports, an honestly, sport was the only reason people were going to Pakistan anymore. From the 1990s, Pakistan has been hosting cricket match after cricket match, all while the Political instability and terrorist attacks were going on. At the worst, there would be the odd crowd riot and invading of the pitch, but for the most part, Cricketers in Pakistan were safe. They were in a world of their own. No one would touch them. And everyone who supported Pakistan to host matches would have held that belief.

But now, we're wrong. That is. The final line was crossed. Cricket in Pakistan is over. No one is safe now, and despite the horrendous attacks, I feel more terrible for the Pakistanis. Because this is it. Their last attempt to prove to the world that they can be a stable nation, that they can host such tournaments, that despite what was happening, outsiders and guests would always be safe, is now wrong. Their last attempt to show that they can be a life or normalcy in Pakistan is gone. No one is safe. And now no one will come to Pakistan. Ever. For anything. For the next decade at the very least. And it's terrible.

This is pathetic and terrible. Good thing everyone is safe, but the aftermath of this will not be good.

You've basically described how I feel Zorax. I was really disappointed at the some of the comments in this thread but gained some hope after reading this. I saw the news when I got online at work earlier to check the score and was devastated to see what had happened. You try and try to live in denial about these conditions in your home country, especially when you're sitting halfway around the world. Its not because you don't care, rather because you feel helpless unless you try and forget about it. Then something like this happens to one of the biggest passions of your life and happens to people who were brave enough to give you a chance to show the world they're wrong. It hits you hard, real hard. Gives the world a chance to say 'told you so' but it doesn't really matter. I feel like a broken man today...

You've basically described how I feel Zorax. I was really disappointed at the some of the comments in this thread but gained some hope after reading this. I saw the news when I got online at work earlier to check the score and was devastated to see what had happened. You try and try to live in denial about these conditions in your home country, especially when you're sitting halfway around the world. Its not because you don't care, rather because you feel helpless unless you try and forget about it. Then something like this happens to one of the biggest passions of your life and happens to people who were brave enough to give you a chance to show the world they're wrong. It hits you hard, real hard. Gives the world a chance to say 'told you so' but it doesn't really matter. I feel like a broken man today...

Real am sorry to hear that Usman. I don't think I can really imagine what it must be like to have my homeland in such a situation. I really hope that perhaps this might wake everyone up and the global community can sit down and work on how to get these animals out of Pakistan, as there are so many great things about it, but it gets forgotten (not surprisingly) when these acts of evil happen. Really do respect you opening up though and posting your true feelings. It takes a lot of balls to do that.

Its not really an attack on zmario about what he said rather all these comments on him wasn't actually for him but for many pakistani's who think that pakistan is safe place, because they are safe in their home. they are still asleep. they don't know how worse the situation is.

they can't see what whole world can see. whole world can see that pakistan is all mess right now.

it is not some personal rivalry that other countries like India is saying it and not touring Pakistan. Just try to look the situation as the whole world is seeing. Just change your perception. How can all this happen. .
those terrorist were in the middle of the city and important place, where was the security before all this happened. why don't you young guys do something instead of feeling angry at the comments.
It is not like one is feeling proud or is happy by attacking zmario or else. It is more like why don't you accept the truth and find a cure for it. Just open your eyes and try to see the reality, and not just defend something that is wrong.

If pakistan is incapable of handling all these then should ask for help. .everyone will help you.but they don't want it . .they say that they feel that their ego will be hurt or whatever. a lot of things are wrong and everyone knows it.

you guys say that you have suffered a lot .. .ofcourse . .you suffer because you are allowing others to hurt you. it is frustration and grief for us and the family that loses their member.

p.s. i don't know how correct i am but this is what i feel.

My deepest condolences to the police officers that perished and their close ones, including the driver. Glad all the players came out fine. Heartbroken for all the Pakistani cricketers and fans.

Anyways, Cricinfo - 'I'm happy we didn't tour Pakistan' - Dhoni is stupid from Dhoni. Was there any need to say it?

Absolutely there was. I prefer people who speak their heart out rather than behave diplomatically just to keep everyone happy. He is being honest, and bold, so full credit to him for that.

Anyways, like some people have mentioned before, this justifies why so many teams have refused to play in Pakistan. It had nothing to do with double standards or the attitude of the cricketers, but just down to the fact that that country is not safe, nowhere near.

Last edited:
Well where's that Zahid Ali who told me to study on Pakistan before saying anything...

May the policemen who died fighting RIP. Its a tragic day for cricket on a whole.The good thing is that the Sri Lankan players are safe and not much untoward incident happened.

Don't worry. He'll drag himself into it.

I don't thing Dhoni said anything stupid.
These are the excerpts of the interview
-"I was quite shocked, quite blank," Mahendra Singh Dhoni said. "It's sad that sportspersons are attacked. Even a civilian getting attacked is just as sad. Hope they are all fine."
-Dhoni, though, said he was happy to be in New Zealand. "There are a few places you have to be aware of where you are moving and what's going on around you. I am glad I am in New Zealand, and I don't have to worry about these things. From now on cricketers will be on alert, but there is not much a cricketer could have done in a situation like this when the whole convoy is attacked.

Being a captain he is quiet right in putting the safety of his players first and it is natural human tendency to react that way because it was his team which was previous slated to tour Pakistan. Dhoni is after all a player and no great politician.

The impact of this incident could be as follows:
1. No international cricket in Pakistan atleast in the near future
2. This could affect the upcoming world cup schedule (could even lead to change of the world cup venue away from the subcontinent!)
3. Already the Indian Home Minister has made a media statement to postpone IPL, that could mean calling off the IPL.

Having said all this, its time for everyone to curb this menace of terrorism with utmost priority forgetting the within differences and stern steps need to be taken for this. I sincerely hope that we do not get to see such incidence again.

Users who are viewing this thread