Steam update for DBC17 released

TBH I wouldn't mind seeing AI defaulting to purely defensive fields with max fielders outside the fielding circle post powerplay overs. I would rather take AI which is too cautious and defensive, which is what happens most of the times in shorter formats, than AI which is unrealistically aggressive.
I agree to be honest. While it wouldn't be the ideal solution it would be a quick way to fix it.

This thread...

If you want to make a suggestion, make it once. It doesn't need to be posted multiple times on every page.

Post it once. Make it coherent.

Okay

- Batsman AI mentalities should matter more (although fiddling with aggressive and defensive sliders is getting me somewhere, I think)
- More clean bowled and LBW's needed. Where did they go? With about 300 overs of bowling on pro and amateur I have the grand total of one chop on and one LBW.
- A broadcast camera less painful on the eyes (although with all the different opinions flying around, who knows what is right in this regard. Less movement and switching between cameras in the long run)

That's about it. It looks really good otherwise.

Okay

- Batsman AI mentalities should matter more (although fiddling with aggressive and defensive sliders is getting me somewhere, I think)
- More clean bowled and LBW's needed. Where did they go? With about 300 overs of bowling on pro and amateur I have the grand total of one chop on and one LBW.
- A broadcast camera less painful on the eyes (although with all the different opinions flying around, who knows what is right in this regard. Less movement and switching between cameras in the long run)

That's about it. It looks really good otherwise.
I do agree, the more aggressive the batsman is, the more chance of play and miss and then either clean bowled or LBW. I also think the weather should have more say in strategy particularly in early season County games where the game may have to be forced to earn max bonus points.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there an option to choose the weather in casual matches? If not then I'll like that

I agree to be honest. While it wouldn't be the ideal solution it would be a quick way to fix it.

Yup, not ideal but a much better option. IMO Big Ant are up against time so revamping the AI may not be feasible. At this point the easiest solution might be to simply have three fields...

1. PP fields for odis and T20 with 2 (or 3) fielders out. Can't recall the exact PP restrictions.
2. Fields with 4 fielders out for odis between overs 11-40 - the new field restriction added recently.
3. Fields with 5 fielders out for T20s from overs 6-20 and and the same for odis from overs 40-50.

That way you don't rely on AI much and even a poorly selected field would be a decent one given AI doesn't have too many fields to select from. Essentially you are constraining the AI with the field options provided. In the next iteration of DBC (possibly DBC 19?) the whole AI can be worked on ground up.

Is there an option to choose the weather in casual matches? If not then I'll like that

Being able to choose weather, pitch conditions and venue would be great in career. I'd love this to be an option.

New update posted by Big Ant on FB, including revamped Broadcast camera for those of us who asked. I hope it ties in well with the best fielding camera for when the shots get hit away (usually Fielding 1 I think). Can any PC guys who like Broadcast cams test and see?

I can't believe how lately Big Ant have gone from so silent to so communicative! I think they must've had their heads under the hood of this game and not talking whilst they fixed a lot of core programming, physics and AI stuff that they honestly couldn't have found acceptable, because what it seems like is now that all of that's done they're putting all the proper bells and whistles on the game. Great work Big Ant!

Don Bradman Cricket 17 Steam Update Patch Notes V0.1.0940
=============================================

Revamped Broadcast Camera
Players will now wear glasses that were assigned in the Academy
Resolved issue where rain would not be visible
Adjusted stamina drain
Various performance improvements

Yup, not ideal but a much better option. IMO Big Ant are up against time so revamping the AI may not be feasible. At this point the easiest solution might be to simply have three fields...

1. PP fields for odis and T20 with 2 (or 3) fielders out. Can't recall the exact PP restrictions.
2. Fields with 4 fielders out for odis between overs 11-40 - the new field restriction added recently.
3. Fields with 5 fielders out for T20s from overs 6-20 and and the same for odis from overs 40-50.

That way you don't rely on AI much and even a poorly selected field would be a decent one given AI doesn't have too many fields to select from. Essentially you are constraining the AI with the field options provided. In the next iteration of DBC (possibly DBC 19?) the whole AI can be worked on ground up.
It would be simple, but one problem would be close finishes. If you need 1 to win off the last over then you'd expect to see a field that is trying to stop singles rather than having five men spread out.

In my last five games I've batted second and I've had one finish as a super over, one go to the last ball and I'm fairly sure the other three were last over finishes. Although there is room for improvement I can't fault the game for producing tight finishes when I've been playing.

Last edited:
Just a suggestion for the running between wickets mechanics as it can be frustrating:
Start run as already mapped then either no button held to jog or R2/Rt to sprint. Then combining the above with this:
Press L2/Lt to slide bat into crease or
Press L1/LB to turn and wait for run or
Press square/X to start next run immediately or
Press ^/Y to dive
Not sure if it could be implemented but would add so much more control to running.
**Also could the beta testers pass on that the starting point for sliding the bat could be a bit earlier as it always looks like it begins after the crease

It'd be cool if occasionally the AI could misjudge the trajectory of the ball and leave an inswinger that goes on to hit the stumps.

Feels like something that's hard to add in though without breaking the game. Can't have every 3rd dismissal be like that

It'd be cool if occasionally the AI could misjudge the trajectory of the ball and leave an inswinger that goes on to hit the stumps.

Feels like something that's hard to add in though without breaking the game. Can't have every 3rd dismissal be like that

It'd have to be earned. Maybe a combination of a near perfectly aimed inswinger, a batsman with stats that aren't that too high in the right areas, lowering batsmans confidence to a sufficient level, high bowler confidence and a few dot balls in a row could produce a miss that hits the stumps.

To those playing on PC, were there any additions to the academy, particularly with regards to appearance and equipment? Sleeves, colors for padding, shoes etc.?

It'd have to be earned. Maybe a combination of a near perfectly aimed inswinger, a batsman with stats that aren't that too high in the right areas, lowering batsmans confidence to a sufficient level, high bowler confidence and a few dot balls in a row could produce a miss that hits the stumps.

that sounds like a perfectly probable situation to create with a randomised chance multiplier via code

New update posted by Big Ant on FB, including revamped Broadcast camera for those of us who asked. I hope it ties in well with the best fielding camera for when the shots get hit away (usually Fielding 1 I think). Can any PC guys who like Broadcast cams test and see?

I can't believe how lately Big Ant have gone from so silent to so communicative! I think they must've had their heads under the hood of this game and not talking whilst they fixed a lot of core programming, physics and AI stuff that they honestly couldn't have found acceptable, because what it seems like is now that all of that's done they're putting all the proper bells and whistles on the game. Great work Big Ant!

Don Bradman Cricket 17 Steam Update Patch Notes V0.1.0940
=============================================

Revamped Broadcast Camera
Players will now wear glasses that were assigned in the Academy
Resolved issue where rain would not be visible
Adjusted stamina drain
Various performance improvements
BigAnt please put old broadcast camera along with new Revamped cam .I am always a broadcast player. If not, adjust the Revamped camera to move some height as feeling very difficult to bat and bowl as it lies very low on umpires hat. Hope it will be sorted in next update. Thanks

BigAnt please put old broadcast camera along with new Revamped cam .I am always a broadcast player. If not, adjust the Revamped camera to move some height as feeling very difficult to bat and bowl as it lies very low on umpires hat. Hope it will be sorted in next update. Thanks

You've said the same thing at least three times now. They get it. Stop.

Users who are viewing this thread