Steam update for DBC17 released

I am glad to see you are seeing them in 20 overs. I am not really getting much of a difference in test cricket. (Surely everyone should just be trying to smash the ball all the time in T20?)

I am doing a long test match and am going to post things like strike rates for each mentality. Granted Big Ant have loads of stuff on their plate and I am just one guy.

I know I've said this before but really 1 game or innings is irrelevant. How do they play over time? What if you happened to bowl dross at a defensive player but good at the attacking player?

I agree with you about the mentalities by the way and not having a go. I just don't think 1 test is gonna tell you anything xxxx

I am glad to see you are seeing them in 20 overs. I am not really getting much of a difference in test cricket. (Surely everyone should just be trying to smash the ball all the time in T20?)

I am doing a long test match and am going to post things like strike rates for each mentality. Granted Big Ant have loads of stuff on their plate and I am just one guy.
You ought to check the mentalities. For some reason, on my academy, Stokes and Ali were were set as conservative.

To me this is one reason why having two mentalities (either a 'default mentality' and an 'attack mentality' or a long form and short form mentality) would be more effective. Someone like Hales for example, I set him as precise but really I see him as someone that starts slowly but would progress to a Brute after say 20 balls.

I know I've said this before but really 1 game or innings is irrelevant. How do they play over time? What if you happened to bowl dross at a defensive player but good at the attacking player?

I agree with you about the mentalities by the way and not having a go. I just don't think 1 test is gonna tell you anything xxxx

I've got nearly 2000 hours over DBC titles, mainly bowling, to see it doesn't have an effect. But yes, for statistical purposes I agree one game isn't enough. I will keep a longer record if anecdotal evidence isn't sufficient grounds.

As I have said before I am not looking for some exact science, but McCullum and Chris Tavare played the same game in a different way, and in 2017 I think that should be fairly obvious in an AI.

Last edited:
You ought to check the mentalities. For some reason, on my academy, Stokes and Ali were were set as conservative.

To me this is one reason why having two mentalities (either a 'default mentality' and an 'attack mentality' or a long form and short form mentality) would be more effective. Someone like Hales for example, I set him as precise but really I see him as someone that starts slowly but would progress to a Brute after say 20 balls.

Haha yes I always check them and alter them to how they should be. Amla is a Brute on one of the SA sides. I don't know who has watched Hashim Amla bat and thought, "Brute", but there we go. I see Hales as "Attacking", so it shows that AI batting behaviour is by no means an exact science.

Eh? No I don't care about that. I hardly ever play career. Pretty much the only thing I care about is realism in AI batsmen and having a good realistic bowl in a test match. The only thing I want fixed is AI mentality having more of an effect, so you'll have to wait in turn like the rest of us if you want to see a change. They have the most difficult sport in the world to reproduce, and a load of people whingeing, largely incoherently, on a forum.
Man.. M not being incoherent.. When the game was about to release.. Dynamic lineups was there in the features list.. Retiring players.. Player progression.. Selection in bigger teams.. Soo m not demanding anything.. M only saying they have missed one of their main features in career mode even after showing it in features list.. This addition would add more longevity in career mode!!

Very important feedback on today update

1) broadcast batting camera needs to be adjusted slightly as Umpire head masks and covers the batsman. As a player the camera must be slightly higher above the umpire.
2) while batting between ball to ball appearance of sight screen.
Please rectify and update in the next build update. BA is great.Thanks.

Haha yes I always check them and alter them to how they should be. Amla is a Brute on one of the SA sides. I don't know who has watched Hashim Amla bat and thought, "Brute", but there we go. I see Hales as "Attacking", so it shows that AI batting behaviour is by no means an exact science.
In all honestly I am not sure how mentality works but I do think that the skill points do make a difference. If you edit the skills for attack and defence it changes everything. I put QDK on very high on attack and slightly less on defence he tends to be more aggressive when he first comes to the crease. Part of my issue I raised during testing is that the default values for brute, conservative and so on do not apply these necessarily. It just randomly generates a default set of values rather than high attack for brute etc.

It also has a bigger impact on shot choice. Faf du Plessis had very high driving skills and his drives just felt more crisp.

In all honestly I am not sure how mentality works but I do think that the skill points do make a difference. If you edit the skills for attack and defence it changes everything. I put QDK on very high on attack and slightly less on defence he tends to be more aggressive when he first comes to the crease. Part of my issue I raised during testing is that the default values for brute, conservative and so on do not apply these necessarily. It just randomly generates a default set of values rather than high attack for brute etc.

It also has a bigger impact on shot choice. Faf du Plessis had very high driving skills and his drives just felt more crisp.

I'll give that a go. Thank you for your suggestion.

I was under the impression that it actually changed something in the AI rather than just the values of the attributes, and I had that confirmed to me by a BA member, but it may be so small as to make no difference.

If attack and defence sliders make a difference to how a batsman approaches the innings, that is enough for me.

I might also give it a bit of a test later. Say maybe 3 out of top 6 with attack settings high and 3 with defence and have a good bowl at them at them.

I might also give it a bit of a test later. Say maybe 3 out of top 6 with attack settings high and 3 with defence and have a good bowl at them at them.

Let me know your findings. I have aggressive Hales and Defensive Cook (with only 41 Attack rating). I'll do 10 or so innings and see what happens.

Also, if anyone gets a clean bowled in this game they deserve a medal. It's like the ability to bowl a batsman out has gone?!

Let me know your findings. I have aggressive Hales and Defensive Cook (with only 41 Attack rating). I'll do 10 or so innings and see what happens.

Also, if anyone gets a clean bowled in this game they deserve a medal. It's like the ability to bowl a batsman out has gone?!
I've had a few. Usually medium pace cutters or spin bowling.

I've had a few. Usually medium pace cutters or spin bowling.

Anything with pacers? I just find it weird that they rarely seem to play down the wrong line any more

I would request BA to put in the old broadcast cam along with the new one please don't remove what is already good in the game. I play with my mates and we always use the broadcast cam the new one feels very different and much more difficult than the previous one we had with dbc17 and 14. cheers

I had asked for the same thing but the default fields cant be made editable.

I have adjusted t20 bal fields to have mostly 3-4 out fields now, will most probably be updated in next build.
Attack fields are fall backs for pp, and def i think,it will not be used mostly as long as the other fields pp, balance and defense do their work.

If you find any such fields in ODi too do tell.
The field setting is definitely getting there for T20. There was a noticeable difference.

But I found that from over 7 to 17, it was predominantly fields with 3 men out (all the time for spinners). This is even when I had Yuvraj and Kohli both in the 20s with a 50 run partnership. The only ball when there were 5 men out was the first ball faced by Dhoni. By the time they went to five men out (death overs) I'd got the game all but in the bag chasing 150.

There is also the odd field that pops up with a short/silly mid off for spinners. The last over was bowled by a spinner and there were only three men out. Some of the fields with three/four men out have two slips & a gully which makes it way to easy to nudge singles. Hope that all my obsessing over field settings helps!

Users who are viewing this thread