Stuart MacGill Vs. Monty Panesar

MacGill is perceived as a bowler who releases pressure with poor deliveries, but you can't deny the rewards he gains from offering the batsman something to hit. He far and away outdoes any other spinner as a wicket-taker. His strike-rate is better than Lillee & Thomson, Brett Lee, Glenn McGrath and Imran Khan. Such an unusual strike rate (and subsequently, his ability to hold his own when bowling together with the mighty Warne) are very unique and I don't think I'd be making huge assumptions to say these are qualities that won't be matched for some time.

MacGill is quite clearly the bterr bowler and at the end of there careers will probably have the better stats. But I suspect Monty will be remembered more.

Also an interesting little fact: When Warne and MacGill playe dtogether, MacGill had far better figures.

Vcassano said:
Also an interesting little fact: When Warne and MacGill played together, MacGill had far better figures.
This is true, 82 wickets at 22.11 for MacGill, 74 wickets at 29.57 for Warne.

It was found that both bowlers took a similar number of top and middle order wickets, but MacGill took more tailenders.

Thats a very interesting fact, but i suppose it doesn't really count if most of his wickets were tailenders

the only comparable thing is their statistics, as they are saying who is the better player atm..... thats the only thing i can see worth comparing anyway.

Based on that, stu by a long way, GUN

irottev said:
We're talking about MacGill here! We've already had that debate.

You took that well.

The two aforementioned players, aren't comparable.

Asif or McGrath? You can't can you?

These types of comparisons don't work!

Monty's beard wins hands down! :cool:

MacGill definately although he is expensive he has a great strike rate.
I'd rate him next to Murali currently
The amount of spin that he gets is astonishing and he also takes wickets
He would have definately had played 100 tests by now for any other country

Last edited:
AbBh said:
MacGill definately although he is expensive he has a great strike rate.
I'd rate him next to Murali currently

I think that's stretching it

They're both pretty average in one day cricket to be honest.

I wouldn't worry too much about MacGill having 200 wickets in 40 Tests either. Barring the year when Warne got done for drugs, he would have played most of his tests on turning pitches, as he would have played as a second spinner to Warne.

Yeah both players are average in the one day matches. Monty made his name in the Ashes series, was good in the Test match, but i havent seen enough from him in the one day matches so far.

Monty's still learning. He bowls a great line but gets quicker and quicker instead of slower. i haven't seen a ball from him under 50 mph yet

he bowls the odd under 50mph in test matches doesnt he ? i hope odi cricket doesnt effect how he bowls in test matches because hes bowling arond 58-60mph in odis and not flighting the ball enough, he needs to flight the ball to get wickets. i hope he doesnt go and bowl in the late 50s in test matches.......

Users who are viewing this thread