Symonds racially abused vs India 5th ODI

We are talking about the crowd abusing the players not the players sledging at each other. I don't get how one can say that aussie crowds have never indulged in racist abuse. A quick search on google will prove otherwise. Also the crowd is not supposed to abuse the player in any way whether it be insulting him or abusing him racially. But I don't agree with accusing the fans involved in this incident of racism just because it is perceived as such by some even though that wasn't their intention.

There have been quite a lot of good reasons given to suggest that it wasn't the case. It's more than just a presumption.

Link.

You have not heard of racism issues in Australian crowds? WOW. Obviously the South African cricketers were lying and so was James Sutherland:

"It's embarrassing for Australian cricket that we are put in a position where this review has been implemented,".

Another link.

During the Test series with South Africa and the current one-day VB Series that also features Sri Lanka, every single one of Australia's major grounds has experienced similar racial abuse.

Sri Lanka did not formally complain at the Adelaide Oval when their players were abused, but five offenders were identified and swiftly ejected from the ground.

Maybe you will shut up now? Or will you come up with some new twist darling?
Although the remarks were widely condemned, there was a suspicion that the culprits may not have been Australian.

After all, Western Australia has a lot of white South African immigrants.

During the Test series with South Africa and the current one-day VB Series that also features Sri Lanka, every single one of Australia's major grounds has experienced similar racial abuse.

Sri Lanka did not formally complain at the Adelaide Oval when their players were abused, but five offenders were identified and swiftly ejected from the ground.

Thats all the stuff I can be stuffed reading before school. But see? We are actually doing something about it.
How about this or this or Monty Panesar being called a Stupid Indian?
Just a few I found with a quick search.
You must be obviously joking if you are saying that there hasn't been a single racist incident from Australia. I still maintain that although it was bad behavior by the fans and they should have been banned and arrested but being racist wasn't the intent of the Indian fans.

Fan ejected from MCG for racial taunt

Under the new regulations, fans may face lifetime bans if they are found guilty of racial abuse during a match, while the venues themselves could be stripped of international status if they fail to act on any transgressions. The SCG Trust, who are responsible for the upkeep of the ground, admitted that three people had been ejected for excessive drunkenness.

OK, fair enough. Shame on us, that shouldn't be happening, but at least we ACTUALLY DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT! YOU GUYS JUST TRY TO COVER IT UP AND ACT LIKE IT NEVER HAPPENED, JUST BECAUSE THERE IS NO "OFFICIAL COMPLAINT!

Stop doing what? Booing Murali? Because Iam pretty sure thats what your going to bring up. Its not racial, its because he throws.

Jeez, some of you Indian fans are just so jealous - I love it;)
did u just read that right?
do you go into self denial whenever australian crowds attract controversy?

did u just read that right?
do you go into self denial whenever australian crowds attract controversy?
Lol, dont call me in denial! You guys are still convinced the racist chants and taunts never even bloody happen (well the BBCI aren't).

Monkey isn't about skin colour only - its about the African in you, African's have facial features that are more similar to monkey's then Indians or white people. So people, stop saying "Well Indians are brown as well, why would they tease themselves?" Because its not about that.
I don't know what you are trying to prove here. So now those Indian crowds are racist for pointing out something that you point out? I thought racism was when you used a derogatory hyperbole to describe or discriminate against someone's race. That his features resemble a monkeys are not a definite effect of race--after all Sreesanth does not have any "African inside him" as far as I am aware. As AbBh said, this argument started out out of skin color and has quickly developed into a clutching-for-straws sort of situation. And before anyone gets too offended, if you go by evolution we are all descendants of apes.

No more excuses, and as much as you are trying to say you're not - you are trying to justify the actions from the Indian crowds.
No, I am not trying to justify their actions. Just because you cannot counter my argument does not mean you can write it off. The only reason I'm arguing is because you are pleading counts of racist victimization on behalf of Symonds when it isn't necessarily the case, and is in fact probably not the case.

(When I mean Africans, I mean African-Americans. West Indians and other countries with African ancestors. I betcha if you came to my house and called my Dad a monkey (he is African American) he would whip out his baseball bat from under his bed and smash the crap outta you)
That is totally irrelevant. You are missing a very simple point. If the totally hypothetical situation that I called your dad a monkey happened, I, like most Indians, would have done so for reasons not necessarily racism.

Yeah "all thats been mentioned", you go ask the Indian fans who are doing why they are calling him a monkey. You can't just assume that they don't know that monkey is associated with Africans becayse "they weren't involved in the the African slave labour or that Liverpool game", because Animator wasn't involved with it and he surely knows it!
Animator doesn't live in India, does he? And if we are supposed to know about all these supposed racial discrimination, do explain to me precisely what the differences between the varna system is in India and why people take it seriously? Since Indians should know about racist stereotypes that developed in the West, clearly you should know about why the brahmins do not want their food touched by the untouchables.

Anyways, I just wished you guys would stop trying to defend your fans actions...Its clearly racist to some people, you obviously don't understand. All I want done is for an apology to Cricket Australia and Symonds, them fans to be banned and for it never to happen again.
We're not defending their actions, we're merely suggesting that their abuse was not as seriously intended as you make it out to be. And I understand that it can be racist to some people (for example you) but before anyone takes offense from racism, you have to understand what position someone is coming from. For example, if I were to call someone "tissue paper" and that was an extremely derogatory or racist term in their society, I would have no clue. I would just be using it as an insult, not a racist comment.

An apology can and should be made, but for general crowd misbehavior.

The topic is about Indian's "racially abusing" an Australian. What did I write in my post?

I write my opinion on how I would've reacted had I been in Symonds position. It's my opinion but of course I doubt you would've targetted me if I were an Indian justifying the crowd's actions, would you?

And thanks for the negative rep, sweetheart. ;)
Really... what does "Our country [Australia] totally outclasses their country [India] in every aspect possible" have anything to do with a minority group of Indian fans abusing Symonds and being (falsely) interpreted as being racist? And you obviously ignore the fact that races are not purely based on nationality--there are at least 5 different races in India, for example (and at least 2 in Australia, as far as I'm aware). Ironically, of course, dividing people by nationality rather than race is far less controversial and something that would cause this whole debate to be flushed down the toilet.

well i guess you can also look at it like the aussies getting a taste of their own medicine

maybe now the aussie fans will stop too
Are you kidding? They will all feel victimized and bring out the "aggressive", not abusive, chants when India tour Australia in the winter.

I think it is sad that in our PC (politically correct) society, one can make abuse acceptable by saying it was not on prejudicial grounds.
Who made abuse acceptable? I think in our PC-obsessed society, it is important to distinguish between abuse carefully since we use different sorts of abuse to dish out different sorts of punishment.

Calling their abuse racist and handing out a penalty to the ground (as per the ICC rules) would be akin to grouping murder and robbery under one name (crime) and giving a thief the death penalty.

Last edited:
sohummisra, I dont want to go into why it is classed as racist again. I can't be stuffed repeating myself. You guys probably didn't understand it was racist the first time..OK. It was made public, the Indian Cricket board then should have at least apologized for what happened and done what they could to get the section of the crowd who did it banned or something. But when it happens in the next match, after the media scrutinizes it and many people understand it's racist, and they still do nothing about it...thats my problem. Its not right. They could have at least apologized to CA or Symonds.

How about this or this or Monty Panesar being called a Stupid Indian?
Just a few I found with a quick search.
You must be obviously joking if you are saying that there hasn't been a single racist incident from Australia. I still maintain that although it was bad behavior by the fans and they should have been banned and arrested but being racist wasn't the intent of the Indian fans.
That is a false accusation. I have friends who were in that section that was accused. Nothing across those lines were ever said.

Cricketman93

Figure it out.
What does my age have to do with anything, even?
Just because i'm young it means I can't be hurt if my country gets put in a lower light then yours? What is that if not a racist post?
How is your age got to anything to do with your race?

I reacted in the tone of how you quoted on me. Of course, it is amusing with you've got a kid whose probably just entered high-school trying to give you a lecher.

And we shouldn't really care what Symonds says. If Symonds doesn't like it, he should ignore it. Follow Ben's advice, eh?

My opinion. Don't like it, ignore it.
You quoted my post to begin with, so yeah... You just rectifyed yourself, kiddo. ;)

Really... what does "Our country [Australia] totally outclasses their country [India] in every aspect possible" have anything to do with a minority group of Indian fans abusing Symonds and being (falsely) interpreted as being racist? And you obviously ignore the fact that races are not purely based on nationality--there are at least 5 different races in India, for example (and at least 2 in Australia, as far as I'm aware). Ironically, of course, dividing people by nationality rather than race is far less controversial and something that would cause this whole debate to be flushed down the toilet.
Well when you say that of course it's going to sound pointless. :rolleyes:

It is simple logic to my post. It was the beginning of me saying that any Australian who cops abuse from a bunch of Indian supporters should just laugh it off because really their in a better position in life.

@wfdu_ben - obviously your friends wont own up to what was actually said in that game. trust me it was bad, and maybe for the australians its normal - but for the rest of the world - it was way beyond the lines.

Anyways I agree with some of the comments made above - the BCCI should have atleast issued an apology after the first incident(irrespective of what the intent of the crowd was). For it to happen two games in a row, is really disgraceful.

And I cant understand these unnecessary referrals to games involving Racist australian fans. I for one, accept that the Aussies probably have the highest number of abusive and racist fans out of all the test cricketing nations(with the highest number of reported incidents). But I am not going to use that as excuse for what the Indian fans did. Hell, it might have not been racism in the first place, but it was bad abuse, and hence should have been penalised by the BCCI.

But then I dont really expect much from the BCCI anyway.

What am I supposed to show :what. You can find them in this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread