Symonds racially abused vs India 5th ODI

I think Allan Border and Mark Waugh have made some comments about the incident. I agree that the crowd members hurling abuse should be penalized by being removed from the crowd. The thing with labeling it racial abuse is that you are going to bring the ICC regulations into effect, which could result in grounds being barred from hosting matches.

Let's see if Aussie fans gain the moral high ground when India visit in a couple of months.

Some Australian fans will give some back I imagine, but it's just like the Indian fans in this instance, it's only a small section. Australia are very concious about cracking down on the issue now, especially after Monty during the Ashes etc.

The Indian board president, Sharad Pawar, and the chairman of Cricket Australia, Creagh O'Connor, have issued a joint statement condemning racism, saying that there was "no place for it in cricket - either on or off the field".

Andrew Symonds said that he was the target of monkey chants during the fifth ODI against India at Vadodara and an Australian cameraman in Nagpur reported more monkey chants directed at the allrounder. The local authorities in Vadodara, however, denied that the crowd had made racist taunts.

"Cricket crowds in all cricket nations are often noisy and boisterous, which is part of the fun of cricket," said Pawar and O'Connor in the statement. "But all cricket nations have to be on guard to ensure that the fun does not cross the boundary into unacceptable behaviour. If it does, it is our expectation that the specifics of the ICC Anti Racism Code be enforced without fear or favour.

bombay_wideweb__470x352,0.jpg

Theres the proof all you Indian fans who are trying to suggest it didn't even happen.

Yeah no one in this thread has denied that it happened.

As others have been saying here, no one denied it happening. People have been arguing that it might not be racist of those fans to do such acts to make fun of the opposition player. Whats racist in trying to ape a monkey to make fun of a player?

As others have been saying here, no one denied it happening. People have been arguing that it might not be racist of those fans to do such acts to make fun of the opposition player. Whats racist in trying to ape a monkey to make fun of a player?
Herschelle Gibbs called the Pakistani fans a bunch of monkeys and was suspended for racism.

Consistency should be applied here.

I am absolutely disgusted at the crowd right now, they are honestly terrible supporters, picking out Symonds to hate, making racist actions and sounds and then booing him as he comes out to the crease, because he complained?

I hope that the Aussie crowds do not make any racist remarks, but I also hope that guys like Sreesanth still get heaps.

bombay_wideweb__470x352,0.jpg

Theres the proof all you Indian fans who are trying to suggest it didn't even happen.

Full of Barbarians :mad

Herschelle Gibbs called the Pakistani fans a bunch of monkeys and was suspended for racism.

Consistency should be applied here.

I am absolutely disgusted at the crowd right now, they are honestly terrible supporters, picking out Symonds to hate, making racist actions and sounds and then booing him as he comes out to the crease, because he complained?

I hope that the Aussie crowds do not make any racist remarks, but I also hope that guys like Sreesanth still get heaps.

Well BCCI has always covered their players, and Sreesanth will feel the heat, once he land in Australia, but he will not be treated as the aussie squad has been in this tour :mad:

Last edited:
This information came to light after Hoopers post. I only heard/read about the arrests this morning.

Users who are viewing this thread