T20 World Cup 2024 (West Indies/USA)

With Pakistan, Sri Lanka and New Zealand all going out early and the ICC's pet project USA qualified, wonder if we might see a suprise u-turn where they declare the tournament a huge succcess by 2026 will be changed to a 10-team round robin.
Hope they don't change the format for 2026. I quite like this. The only changes I would want to make would be to the scheduling of games. 4 games per day would make more sense, just like they had back in 2007.

With Pakistan, Sri Lanka and New Zealand all going out early and the ICC's pet project USA qualified, wonder if we might see a suprise u-turn where they declare the tournament a huge succcess by 2026 will be changed to a 10-team round robin.
That would mean by the looks of it India, Australia, South Africa, USA, Afghanistan, West Indies, Scotland/England, Nepal/Bangladesh and Sri Lanka would already qualify.

1 team would play in the qualifier and either New Zealand or Pakistan miss out :p
Post automatically merged:

Hope they don't change the format for 2026. I quite like this. The only changes I would want to make would be to the scheduling of games. 4 games per day would make more sense, just like they had back in 2007.
That wont be an issue in 2026 since the time zone will match the Indian time zone since its in India and Sri Lanka :p

10.30, 1.30, 4.30 and 7.30 should be 4 games. 2 in India and 2 in Sri Lanka.

Also dont make teams travel cross country. Divide 4 groups and have 2 groups play in India and 2 in Sri Lanka.

Also dont make teams travel cross country. Divide 4 groups and have 2 groups play in India and 2 in Sri Lanka.
I was a tad surprised they didn't do it like CWC2007. Each of the 4 groups were based in a particular city like -Jamaica, Trinidad, etc. For 2026, they can probably look at 4 cities which will host the group games and then move onto the next rung for the Super 8s.

Four matches might be overkill. My biggest complaint with scheduling is when some teams had played three matches and some only one. It's kind of frustrating that there have been so many matches with overlapping times.

I'd prefer quarter finals but if a Super 8 stage is the price of 20 teams taking part, I'll take 20 teams.

That would mean by the looks of it India, Australia, South Africa, USA, Afghanistan, West Indies, Scotland/England, Nepal/Bangladesh and Sri Lanka would already qualify.

1 team would play in the qualifier and either New Zealand or Pakistan miss out :p
Post automatically merged:

That wont be an issue in 2026 since the time zone will match the Indian time zone since its in India and Sri Lanka :p

10.30, 1.30, 4.30 and 7.30 should be 4 games. 2 in India and 2 in Sri Lanka.

Well, sub-regional qualifiers have already started so I'd hope it's too late to change.

I suppose how the finances work plays a big part. As long as full members are getting paid the actual performance might not be as worried about, beyond pride and from the ICC POV fewer Ind v Pak replay chances.

I was a tad surprised they didn't do it like CWC2007. Each of the 4 groups were based in a particular city like -Jamaica, Trinidad, etc. For 2026, they can probably look at 4 cities which will host the group games and then move onto the next rung for the Super 8s.
You think Say Jhah will limit to 4 cities ? He will limit to only Ahmedabad :p. All India matches at Ahmedabad at Ahmedabad standard time

This is some batting by Nepal.. Also please its NE- PAL not NE-PUL! This would be a great moment for NEPUL Nepal! Who would have thought after being 64/1, Nepal would be this close to winning it.

Well how things have changed in last 3 overs. Shamsi the game changer.

What an end to that! Heart break for Nepal! What was Jha thinking and not diving! Bangladesh qualify and can breathe a relief

Users who are viewing this thread