Team of the Decade

Pretty much agree with this. The only thing is, I'm not too sure Shane Bond has played enough ODI cricket to warrant his place in the side. I'd much rather go for someone like Nathan Bracken who has been consistently been playing.

More wickets at a better average than Waqar Younis and Wasim Akram who have also been picked by quite a few people. Sure he didn't play the amount of cricket he'd have liked, but he took heaps of wickets in the 77 ODi's he did play. I don't think a guy with a record of 138 wickets at 20.87 and a strike rate of under 30 can be ignored. Great bowler.

Test
1) Matthew Hayden
2) Graeme Smith using him for changing ends 3
3) Ricky Ponting (c)
4) Sachin Tendulkar will bowl few overs 8
5) Brian Lara
6)Mohammad yousuf
7) Adam Gilchrist (WK)
8) Shaun Pollock 35
9) Shane Warne going to bowl more than 40 OVERS
10) Brett Lee 30
11) Glen McGrath 25

You would have Lee bowling more overs then McGrath? Also, thats 120+ overs. This is meant to be the best bowlers of the decade. By 120 overs the opposition would have 400+

I'd much rather go for someone like Nathan Bracken who has been consistently been playing.

Bracken has been injured as much as Bond has.

More wickets at a better average than Waqar Younis and Wasim Akram who have also been picked by quite a few people.

I dont really understand why people are picking Wasim and Waqar. They both retired in 2003.

don't understand Langers inclusion. there is no way Langer was better than sehwag, smith and trescothick this decade.

RT Ponting (Aus) 8939 @57.3
JH Kallis (SA) 7810 @55.78
ML Hayden (Aus) 7695 @50.96
R Dravid (India) 7320 @51.54
DPMD Jayawardene (SL) 7023 @53.61
KC Sangakkara (SL) 6137 @51.57
V Sehwag (India) 6049 @53.06
S Chanderpaul (WI) 6029 @54.31
BC Lara (WI) 5985 @53.43
VVS Laxman (India) 5970 @51.02
JL Langer (Aus) 5886 @49.88
SR Tendulkar (India) 5758 @47.19
Mohammad Yousuf (Pak) 5653 @54.35
GC Smith (SA) 5524 @46.81
AJ Strauss (Eng) 5290 @44.45
MP Vaughan (Eng) 5231 @41.18
ME Trescothick (Eng) 5172 @41.04
CH Gayle (WI) 5148 @39.6
RR Sarwan (WI) 5012 @39.15
Younis Khan (Pak) 5007 @51.09

Sehwag has a better record then Langer but many people (including my self) have Langer in their lineup because he was one half of the best opening pair of this decade.
Smith is behind him in average and runs and Tresco is nowhere near.

Langer was that gritty player that could get you away to a good start before going on to make a big 100. Certainly an underrated cricketer.

Langer was alright, but he wasn't the second best opener of the decade. (and if we're talking about under-rated batsmen look no further than beardy mcgoo out at the crease now, hasn't appeared in anyones team despite touching on the sublime at times this decade)

seems a bit crap to put him in front of someone just because he was part of a partnership. If australia could pick the sehwag of the last 2 years or langer imo they would be a bit stupid to leave out someone that's scored double hundreds against murali in sri lanka, and hit run a ball triples.

I'm going by stats from the 2000's decade link on cricinfo stats

Tests:

1. Matthew Hayden - Best opener of the decade without doubt at a 52s average
2. Graeme Smith - Toss up between him and Sehwag. Hayden is quite attacking himself and I feel Smith compliments him better than Sehwag. Also has a good head on his shoulders and is a fighter.
3. Ricky Ponting (C) - 9458 runs at 58s and the captain of the decade result wise
4. Sachin Tendulkar - 7129 runs at 53s. One of the best batsmen ever
5. Brian Lara - One of my favorite batsmen of all time 6380 runs at 54s
6. Jacques Kallis - All-rounder of the decade with 8630 runs at 58s and 205 wickets at 32s with the ball
7. Adam Gilchrist (WK) - Keeper of the decade (Ever even), Absolutely no doubt about it
8. Shane Warne - He's too good to leave out. 2 spinners gives good balance. Legspin and offspin of Murili
9. Dale Steyn - Probably a surprise, I needed someone with lots of pace. Was a hard choice between Bond, Akhtar and Lee but I chose Steyn because the pitches we're seeing today are very flat and he's done well on them. Bond has limited games though is obviously the best record wise.
10. Muttiah Muralitharan - Can't argue with 565 wickets at 20s. Amazing record
11. Glenn McGrath - Can't have a side without him at number 11. Bowler of the decade.

Just some extra on the Langer thing, Not sure where your figures came from Dare, but I have Smith at more runs and average than Langer with the ones i'm using.

That was tough, so many good players left out like Sehwag, Jaywardene, Dravid, Yousuf etc. and bowling-wise Pollock (Too McGrath like to need both), Lee, Bond, Akhtar bowling-wise.

ODIs

1. Adam Gilchrist (WK) - THE opening wicketkeeper batsman who made use of the fielding restrictions.
2. Sachin Tendulkar - 8823 runs at 46s, 85 SR. No doubt about his spot. As an opener averages a few runs more and is I feel his best spot.
3. Ricky Ponting (C) - 9103 runs at 44s. No doubt he gets a spot.
4. Shivnarine Chanderpaul - Solid batsman in the middle order to help play through the innings and score big. Important #4 spot. Was head to head with Yousuf for the spot and wins with better record averaging 45s.
5. Jacques Kallis - Best all-rounder in this format also. 47 average with bat and 32s with the ball at good economy.
6. Andrew Symonds - Another all-rounder, brilliant fielder and importantly, big hitter down the order.
7. Andrew Flintoff - Another great all-rounder. Averaged 32 with bat and 24 with ball. Was a toss up between him, Afridi and Cairns. Wanted a big hitter and someone who could bowl. Cairns played mostly in the 90s though had a similar record in the 2000s and Afridi with the bat wasn't as good.
8. Brett Lee - First change. Fast and has a great ODI average (23s) and strike rate (29s).
9. Shane Bond - Opening with McGrath. Fast and has a great ODI average (20s) and strike rate (29s)
10. Muttiah Murilitharan - Best ODI spinner by way of wickets and economy.
11. Glenn McGrath - Best ODI seamer with 234 wickets at 20s.

Honerable mentions: Pietersen, Yousuf, Pollock, Ntini, Vettori, Cairns, Dhoni, Dravid (though his average is inflated by a lot of not-outs and him benefitting from elevating himself in the order in good conditions) Gayle and Hayden.

ODI side was a lot tougher to pick.

Last edited:
I'm going by stats from the 2000's decade link on cricinfo stats

Tests:

1. Matthew Hayden - Best opener of the decade without doubt at a 52s average
2. Graeme Smith - Toss up between him and Sehwag. Hayden is quite attacking himself and I feel Smith compliments him better than Sehwag. Also has a good head on his shoulders and is a fighter.
3. Ricky Ponting (C) - 9458 runs at 58s and the captain of the decade result wise
4. Sachin Tendulkar - 7129 runs at 53s. One of the best batsmen ever
5. Brian Lara - One of my favorite batsmen of all time 6380 runs at 54s
6. Jacques Kallis - All-rounder of the decade with 8630 runs at 58s and 205 wickets at 32s with the ball
7. Adam Gilchrist (WK) - Keeper of the decade (Ever even), Absolutely no doubt about it
8. Shane Warne - He's too good to leave out. 2 spinners gives good balance. Legspin and offspin of Murili
9. Dale Steyn - Probably a surprise, I needed someone with lots of pace. Was a hard choice between Bond, Akhtar and Lee but I chose Steyn because the pitches we're seeing today are very flat and he's done well on them. Bond has limited games though is obviously the best record wise.
10. Muttiah Muralitharan - Can't argue with 565 wickets at 20s. Amazing record
11. Glenn McGrath - Can't have a side without him at number 11. Bowler of the decade.

Just some extra on the Langer thing, Not sure where your figures came from Dare, but I have Smith at more runs and average than Langer with the ones i'm using.

That was tough, so many good players left out like Sehwag, Jaywardene, Dravid, Yousuf etc. and bowling-wise Pollock (Too McGrath like to need both), Lee, Bond, Akhtar bowling-wise.

ODIs

1. Adam Gilchrist (WK) - THE opening wicketkeeper batsman who made use of the fielding restrictions.
2. Sachin Tendulkar - 8823 runs at 46s, 85 SR. No doubt about his spot. As an opener averages a few runs more and is I feel his best spot.
3. Ricky Ponting (C) - 9103 runs at 44s. No doubt he gets a spot.
4. Shivnarine Chanderpaul - Solid batsman in the middle order to help play through the innings and score big. Important #4 spot. Was head to head with Yousuf for the spot and wins with better record averaging 45s.
5. Jacques Kallis - Best all-rounder in this format also. 47 average with bat and 32s with the ball at good economy.
6. Andrew Symonds - Another all-rounder, brilliant fielder and importantly, big hitter down the order.
7. Andrew Flintoff - Another great all-rounder. Averaged 32 with bat and 24 with ball. Was a toss up between him, Afridi and Cairns. Wanted a big hitter and someone who could bowl. Cairns played mostly in the 90s though had a similar record in the 2000s and Afridi with the bat wasn't as good.
8. Brett Lee - First change. Fast and has a great ODI average (23s) and strike rate (29s).
9. Shane Bond - Opening with McGrath. Fast and has a great ODI average (20s) and strike rate (29s)
10. Muttiah Murilitharan - Best ODI spinner by way of wickets and economy.
11. Glenn McGrath - Best ODI seamer with 234 wickets at 20s.

Honerable mentions: Yousuf, Pollock, Ntini, Vettori, Cairns, Dhoni, Dravid (though his average is inflated by a lot of not-outs and him benefitting from elevating himself in the order in good conditions) Gayle and Hayden.

ODI side was a lot tougher to pick.

Just when I was REAL annoyed by silly teams by some members.. this is a real treat !

Agree with you on most of the decisions. Great picks. :clap

Nice work irrotev, no honourable mention for KP in the ODi team? Already England's greatest ODi batsman AFAIC. Has 3179 runs at 45.41 with a strike rate in the 90's and 7 hundreds. Awesome ODi player.

There's so many good ODI players with similar records. I'll add him as I forgot. He probably could have made the team over Symonds though Symonds bowling is incredibly handy.

Aussies and others | Decade Review 2009 | Cricinfo.com

Cricinfo's team of the decade.

Test XI
Matthew Hayden, Virender Sehwag, Ricky Ponting, Sachin Tendulkar, Rahul Dravid, Jacques Kallis, Adam Gilchrist (wk), Shaun Pollock, Shane Warne, Muttiah Muralitharan, Glenn McGrath

12th man: Andrew Flintoff

ODI XI
Sanath Jayasuriya, Sachin Tendulkar, Ricky Ponting, Jacques Kallis, Andrew Symonds, Adam Gilchrist, Andrew Flintoff, Shaun Pollock, Brett Lee, Glenn McGrath, Muttiah Muralitharan

12th man: Shane Warne

Pretty good but I don't like Fred's inclusion even as 12th man. I may sound like a broken record but Kumble was the silent star of the decade with marathon spells, grit and fiery attitude. Apart from Fred's heroic Ashes performances, he didn't do all that much...

Aussies and others | Decade Review 2009 | Cricinfo.com

Cricinfo's team of the decade.

Test XI
Matthew Hayden, Virender Sehwag, Ricky Ponting, Sachin Tendulkar, Rahul Dravid, Jacques Kallis, Adam Gilchrist (wk), Shaun Pollock, Shane Warne, Muttiah Muralitharan, Glenn McGrath

12th man: Andrew Flintoff

ODI XI
Sanath Jayasuriya, Sachin Tendulkar, Ricky Ponting, Jacques Kallis, Andrew Symonds, Adam Gilchrist, Andrew Flintoff, Shaun Pollock, Brett Lee, Glenn McGrath, Muttiah Muralitharan

12th man: Shane Warne

Pretty good but I don't like Fred's inclusion even as 12th man. I may sound like a broken record but Kumble was the silent star of the decade with marathon spells, grit and fiery attitude. Apart from Fred's heroic Ashes performances, he didn't do all that much...

Users who are viewing this thread