Tendulkar set to be Test captain

baburao

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Another foolish decision by BCCI.
Saurav Ganguly should be the captain.Sachin cant bat when he is captaining grrr.
NEW DELHI: Sachin Tendulkar is all set to become India's Test captain for the upcoming cricket series against Pakistan, Australia and South Africa.

Tendulkar has accepted the BCCI's request to take over the reins of the Test team after Rahul Dravid opted out of captaincy on returning from the England tour earlier this year, a top BCCI source said today.

The national selectors will meet here today to announce the Indian team for the first two one-dayers against Pakistan but will wait till November 8 before making a formal announcement on Tendulkar's appointment as Test captain.

"It is the prerogative of the national selectors to announce the captain. Most probably Tendulkar's appointment would be announced only in Mohali on November 8 when the selectors meet again to choose the team for the remaining ODIs against Pakistan," the source said.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com...et_to_be_Test_captain/articleshow/2494982.cms

I really dont know how to react... it looks more like a stop-gap arrangement than anything else, and eventually, they would go towards dhoni or yuvraj for even the test captaincy...

anyway, this little stint would be interesting, and probably the last major challenge for tendulkar

But will he be able to take so much pressure while batting.I dont think so.

Dear god, Ganguly would be like every sane fan's choice.

Maybe now there would be little less pressure.. India has learnt how to win without him, and that would mean a huge deal psychologically. Around 2000, when he was last captain, he was more like a One-Man-Army. The batsmen did well, the bowlers failed. When the bowlers did well (very rarely), the batsmen were not upto the mark. He was made to believe that he has to win the match alone, which no player can sustain over a period of time, thus the decline in batting form when captain.

Now, with players like dhoni, yuvraj puttting together some match-winning performances, he knows, that his team can win, and a few failures wont be the end of the world for them...

I doubt Yuvraj will be in the Test team, though.

Ganguly or MS Dhoni should be captain

The reason that Dhoni is not captain is that he is not a consistant enough test batsman or wicketkeeper to demand a place in the side and as a rule of thumb, captains should command places in their side without question.

Making Ganguly captain would actually be a huge backward step because Ganguly had an extended stint as captain. Tactically, it may be good, but symbolically, it is a literal step into the past.

The reason that Dhoni is not captain is that he is not a consistant enough test batsman or wicketkeeper to demand a place in the side and as a rule of thumb, captains should command places in their side without question.

Making Ganguly captain would actually be a huge backward step because Ganguly had an extended stint as captain. Tactically, it may be good, but symbolically, it is a literal step into the past.
The same thing can be said about Sachin isnt it?

The same thing can be said about Sachin isnt it?

Not quite... Sourav, as we all know was dropped from the team after a string of poor performances, and the controversy with greg. That stripped him of the captaincy as well... he had to toil, to find a place in the team again. The same is not true for sachin. He gave up captaincy on his own pretence, and he has never had to fight to get a place in the team, like ganguly had to...

Not quite... Sourav, as we all know was dropped from the team after a string of poor performances, and the controversy with greg. That stripped him of the captaincy as well... he had to toil, to find a place in the team again. The same is not true for sachin. He gave up captaincy on his own pretence, and he has never had to fight to get a place in the team, like ganguly had to...
And who is the better captain out of these two?

That is very much debatable.. like i said before, when sachin resigned, the team he had was not competent enough to win matches collectively. it relied on 2-3 people to perform consistently, and hope that they keep performing.

Sourav, on the other hand was more aggressive, and had the opportunity to get new talent - the likes of harbhajan, yuvraj, dhoni, kaif, and the bowlers....

imo.. if sachin had captained this team, he is no less qualified than sourav to be a captain..

the only thing which sourav has is the aggression, which i agree was missing from sachin at that time.

I really dont know how to react... it looks more like a stop-gap arrangement than anything else, and eventually, they would go towards dhoni or yuvraj for even the test captaincy...

anyway, this little stint would be interesting, and probably the last major challenge for tendulkar

It is not a stop-gap decision.
Tendulkar will be captain against Pak,Aus and Saf.

Tendulkar commands a place only because he is loved by the ppl.
Throw him out and there will be riots.

Ganguly should be the logical choice,but seeing as there is a lobby for the Maratha players,they will choose Sachin.

And please remember-
Sourav Ganguly was sacked beacuse of Board politics.
Sachin Tendulakr gave up cause India lost 2-0 to Saf at home.

In my books,there is no place for a captain who gives up his position.
Though in the present scenario,I really would'nt mind if the selectors went back to Dravid for the Tests.

We might have a 1-1 scoreline under Dravid/Ganguly.
Under Sachin,we will suffer a whitewash.

And please remember-
Sourav Ganguly was sacked beacuse of Board politics.
Sachin Tendulakr gave up cause India lost 2-0 to Saf at home.
No. Ganguly was not sacked because of board politics. He was sacked because of an extended run of bad form and because he chose to wash his dirty laundry in public. His sacking was very much justified, in my opinion, since the team was not playing very well and personally he was playing pathetically.

As for Tendulkar taking over captaincy... I'm not sure. If he doesn't succeed with regards to personal form, this may be a path to the exit door, for him.

Users who are viewing this thread