The Ashes 2021/22

It'd be impossible for the second placed guy because he's Hashim Amla, so he's 1) retired from international cricket and 2) tied to RSA. As for the other two (David Bedingham and Chris Cooke respectively), I'm not sure either has citizenship yet. Cooke's 35 so his chances may be cooked (Cooke-d?) by that, but Bedingham might be worth keeping an eye on in the future
Chris Cooke has been in England for 10 years and he has a UK passport and as well his age he's primarily a wicket keeper batsman and we're not short of them.

Bedingham has been playing in South Africa for Western Province this winter, so I don't know if he has ambitions to play for South Africa.

Graeme van Buuren has recently got a citizenship so he might get a game. Our best ever/recent test team had Trott and Pietersen so maybe we need some fresh imports.

It'd be impossible for the second placed guy because he's Hashim Amla, so he's 1) retired from international cricket and 2) tied to RSA. As for the other two (David Bedingham and Chris Cooke respectively), I'm not sure either has citizenship yet. Cooke's 35 so his chances may be cooked (Cooke-d?) by that, but Bedingham might be worth keeping an eye on in the future
That's fair but the wait for citizenship is less for cricket than in Football which seemingly is very hard now since they crackdown on the grand parent rule which being very honest was tenuous at best. But we do seem to have many players play for lesser teams because they stand no chance of playing for any of the bigger nations. Surely it can't be that lucrative playing for a small nations but maybe having the ability to say you've played for a nation is better (but never mention who).
Post automatically merged:

Chris Cooke has been in England for 10 years and he has a UK passport and as well his age he's primarily a wicket keeper batsman and we're not short of them.

Bedingham has been playing in South Africa for Western Province this winter, so I don't know if he has ambitions to play for South Africa.

Graeme van Buuren has recently got a citizenship so he might get a game. Our best ever/recent test team had Trott and Pietersen so maybe we need some fresh imports.
So duel nationals can play for a national side but there doesn't need to be any naturalisation process? We are talking about one side whether or not there is a family link.

How long was his naturalisation process?

That's fair but the wait for citizenship is less for cricket than in Football which seemingly is very hard now since they crackdown on the grand parent rule which being very honest was tenuous at best. But we do seem to have many players play for lesser teams because they stand no chance of playing for any of the bigger nations. Surely it can't be that lucrative playing for a small nations but maybe having the ability to say you've played for a nation is better (but never mention who).

So duel nationals can play for a national side but there doesn't need to be any naturalisation process? We are talking about one side whether or not there is a family link.
I might be a bit wrong here but the naturalisation period was increased to something like 7 years after that era, when I think it became clear that England were very reliant on players from South Africa. It was then slashed to three years so Jofra Archer could play in the World Cup.

Great fact from Andrew Miller. If England lose this they tie with Bangladesh's great 2003 team as the team to lose the most number of test matches in a calendar year.
When you hit bottom there is only one way to go.

I might be a bit wrong here but the naturalisation period was increased to something like 7 years after that era, when I think it became clear that England were very reliant on players from South Africa. It was then slashed to three years so Jofra Archer could play in the World Cup.
Is this not administered by the ICC, seven years is fine but in Cricket you can play upto aged 40.

At this point, Captain Cook, Winston Churchill and Sir Francis Drake would make a better middle order than the current lot.

When you hit bottom there is only one way to go.

Is this not administered by the ICC, seven years is fine but in Cricket you can play upto aged 40.
It is, but I think ECB had their own rules for a short time, then when we needed Jofra we decided to follow the ICC regulations.

You've made me look up the actual ICC regulations :lol

1. at the date of submission of the relevant information to the ICC, the Player is able to demonstrate (by his/her possession of a valid passport issued by the relevant country) that he/she is a national of the country whose domestic cricket governing body is the National Cricket Federation; or
  2. 2.1.3 at the date of submission of the relevant information to the ICC, the Player is a Resident of the country whose domestic cricket governing body is the National Cricket Federation. For the purposes of this Article, a Player will be deemed to be a ‘Resident' of a particular country if the Player has had his/her primary and permanent home in the relevant country for the immediately preceding three years, and Residence and Residency shall be construed accordingly

Obviously qualifying for a passport and actual citizenship might vary by each country but I expect a board/club would encourage a player to apply if it made life easier (van Buuren, although he has a British spouse, had to play as an overseas player last season, Thilan Wallawalita had similar issues last season despite having lived in the UK for 10 years). The UAE team, for example, is largely just foreign workers who never get citizenship.

Great fact from Andrew Miller. If England lose this they tie with Bangladesh's great 2003 team as the team to lose the most number of test matches in a calendar year.
They also need 4 more ducks to tie the record for most Test ducks in a year.

Why are we just talking about South African players qualifying for England?

Smith, Warner and Harris are obviously English surnames. Alright, Harris is not doing great, but the Aussies have faith in him.

Lyon's spelling of his surname is clearly a mistake. What's more English than a Lion?

Marnus Labuschagne's real name is Ranulph Ponsonby-Featherstonehaugh, but the Aussies had no idea how to correctly pronounce that, so his name was changed when his family got off the boat from Southampton.

There you go. England's problems solved.

It is, but I think ECB had their own rules for a short time, then when we needed Jofra we decided to follow the ICC regulations.

You've made me look up the actual ICC regulations :lol

1. at the date of submission of the relevant information to the ICC, the Player is able to demonstrate (by his/her possession of a valid passport issued by the relevant country) that he/she is a national of the country whose domestic cricket governing body is the National Cricket Federation; or
  2. 2.1.3 at the date of submission of the relevant information to the ICC, the Player is a Resident of the country whose domestic cricket governing body is the National Cricket Federation. For the purposes of this Article, a Player will be deemed to be a ‘Resident' of a particular country if the Player has had his/her primary and permanent home in the relevant country for the immediately preceding three years, and Residence and Residency shall be construed accordingly

Obviously qualifying for a passport and actual citizenship might vary by each country but I expect a board/club would encourage a player to apply if it made life easier (van Buuren, although he has a British spouse, had to play as an overseas player last season, Thilan Wallawalita had similar issues last season despite having lived in the UK for 10 years). The UAE team, for example, is largely just foreign workers who never get citizenship.
Thanks, it has cleared up the matter. So, if these are binding regulations how (if it still goes on) are countries able to shorten the naturalisation process. I would agree being in receipt of a valid passport means the correct procedure has been followed like the citizenship test (which every migrant takes) but it does seem a little tenuous and maybe the ICC are not productive enough in applying the rules (or are they guidelines)

Sorry for being a pain in the arse.

Why are we just talking about South African players qualifying for England?

Smith, Warner and Harris are obviously English surnames. Alright, Harris is not doing great, but the Aussies have faith in him.

Lyon's spelling of his surname is clearly a mistake. What's more English than a Lion?

Marnus Labuschagne's real name is Ranulph Ponsonby-Featherstonehaugh, but the Aussies had no idea how to correctly pronounce that, so his name was changed when his family got off the boat from Southampton.

There you go. England's problems solved.
Is it okay to advise and remind that this country is made up of former criminals from the East end of London?

Hence the English surnames.

Users who are viewing this thread