The Ashes 2021/22

I have more good news

The stats about Hameed having a first-class average of 32 and Crawley of 31 are now out of date. Thanks to their respective performances in this Test, Hameed now has a first-class average of 31 and Crawley 30.
Assuming a miracle doesn't happen I do wonder where they go from here with the tour of the West Indies. Will it be the same old faces who have failed for a long time (15-20 plus tests) or will they actually say 'they've all had chances and they've failed' time to move on and give a chance to someone else or give someone like Vince and Lawrence as many chances as other players.

2022 is West Indies away, New Zealand and South Africa at home. I could easily see England losing all them because the West Indies out-bowled us with the Dukes on green decks last time in the Caribbean and only Joe Root is any good in English conditions. :lol

I would pay good money to watch Pakistan and England play a Test series in Australia. They'd probably find a way for both teams to lose.

England need to watch this video. I feel they have been cursed ever since they won on boundary count in 2019. The bowling is spineless (baring Anderson), batting is toothless (baring Root). No fight whatsoever.

I think Pakistan would batter this England side. One is a side that's one the rise and the other might be the worst I've seen.
I guess we’ll see in about a year :cheers
Hoping to visit Pakistan when England are touring and catch a Test live.

Assuming a miracle doesn't happen I do wonder where they go from here with the tour of the West Indies. Will it be the same old faces who have failed for a long time (15-20 plus tests) or will they actually say 'they've all had chances and they've failed' time to move on and give a chance to someone else or give someone like Vince and Lawrence as many chances as other players.

2022 is West Indies away, New Zealand and South Africa at home. I could easily see England losing all them because the West Indies out-bowled us with the Dukes on green decks last time in the Caribbean and only Joe Root is any good in English conditions. :lol
Hmmmm... those Tests are in March, so they've a tiny bit of thinking time. Let's go through this alphabetically:

Players in the squad:
  • :eng: :bwl: Jimmy Anderson (39) - Still performing to an excellent standard; it just depends whether he gets rested or not.
  • :eng: :wkb: Jonny Bairstow (32) - Hasn't scored a Test hundred since 2018. Still fully expect him to be picked, possibly as the keeper.
  • :eng: :bwl: Dom Bess (24) - Becoming a better player by not being in the side, I expect him to tour.
  • :eng: :bwl: Stuart Broad (35) - The England management certainly seem to find him very replaceable. I don't disagree. Would drop him.
  • :eng: :bat: Rory Burns (31) - He was dropped for this Test. He's also a better player than Hameed or Burns. I would keep him and I'd make him captain.
  • :eng: :wkb: Jos Buttler (31) - His keeping just seems to be getting worse and worse. Please let this be the end.
  • :eng: :bat: Zak Crawley (24) - A real darling of the England management. Has a first-class average of 30, and without that innings against Pakistan it'd be 28. Drop him.
  • :eng: :bat: Haseeb Hameed (25) - The latest opener to be chewed up and spat out by this Test side. Do not expect him to tour.
  • :eng: :bat: Dan Lawrence (24) - So far hasn't been harmed by over-exposure to this Ashes series. Also decent on slower surfaces; will tour West Indies.
  • :eng: :bwl: Jack Leach (30) - Honestly shocked that he made it back into the England XI for this Test; on that basis, I expect him to tour the West Indies.
  • :eng: :bat: Dawid Malan (34) - If you drop Malan then you might as well drop everyone and start again. Expect him to tour.
  • :eng: :bwl: Craig Overton (27) - Another one who I would definitely select to make the trip. I also expect him to play before the series is out.
  • :eng: :bat: Ollie Pope (24) - 22 Tests as the next great batting hope, has one ton and an average under 30 to show for it. Leave him at home
  • :eng: :bwl: Ollie Robinson (28) - Has quietly become one of the leaders of the English bowling attack. If he's fit, he tours.
  • :eng: :bat: Joe Root (31) - He might desperately need some time off, but I cannot see him being allowed to take it. Will tour, will captain.
  • :eng: :ar: Ben Stokes (30) - Was rushed back from injury and a mental health break. Has barely even looked a shadow of himself. Will be picked, but not sure it's best for him.
  • :eng: :ar: Chris Woakes (33) - Offers very little away from home, probably won't be picked, even if he does balance the side with his batting.
  • :eng: :bwl: Mark Wood (32) - 32 years old already, goodness. Will be picked for a spot of outright pace, but won't be able to play consecutive games or anything.
Lions Players:
  • :eng: :bat: Tom Abell (28) - Probably won't get a look-in; statistically mediocre.
  • :eng: :bat: Josh Bohannon (24) - Averages 44 in first-class cricket. Find me another English batter who does. Will be picked.
  • :eng: :wkb: James Bracey (24) - Although it would be very funny, I can't see the selectors going back to this well any time soon.
  • :eng: :bat: Harry Brook (23) - Averages 27 in first-class cricket. Knowing the ECB they'll probably take him with.
  • :eng: :bwl: Brydon Carse (26) - The England management like him, and if his recovery goes to plan then he'll be in.
  • :eng: :bwl: Sam Cook (24) - An excellent bowler, should definitely be picked as a Broad replacement, especially if Carse's knee still isn't right.
  • :eng: :bwl: Mason Crane (25) - I could honestly see him get a call-up, but it wouldn't make a great deal of sense.
  • :eng: :bwl: Matt Fisher (24) - Hmmm... probabl one or two fast bowling spots away from being picked.
  • :eng: :wk: Ben Foakes (29) - Please.
  • :eng: :bwl: Saqib Mahmood (25) - He is absolutely ready.
  • :eng: :bwl: Liam Norwell (30) - A good bowler in English conditions, but not a realistic pick at all.
  • :eng: :bwl: Matt Parkinson (25) - A very good bowler, but for some reason I feel like the England management might pick Crane over him if they go for either.
  • :eng: :wk: Jamie Smith (21) - A highly talented young Surrey batter who also keeps from time to time. Honestly what could go wrong.
  • :eng: :bat: Rob Yates (22) - I think he makes it tbh. Really rate him.
Others:
  • :eng: :bwl: Jofra Archer (26) - Still crocked.
  • :eng: :ar: Sam Curran (23) - Probably does make the squad for the home Tests, but I don't think he'll play this winter.
  • :eng: :ar: Liam Livingstone (28) - I think this is the time he gets called up, probably plays as a spinning all-rounder at six.
  • :eng: :bat: Dom Sibley (26) - Should probably tour as a reserve opener. And yet, I don't think he will.
  • :eng: :bwl: Ollie Stone (28) - Still crocked.
So, my squad

Openers

:eng: :bat: Rory Burns
:eng: :bat: Rob Yates :redo:

Top-Order
:eng: :bat: Josh Bohannon :redo:
:eng: :bat: Dawid Malan
:eng: :bat: Joe Root :c:

Middle-Order
:eng: :bat: Dan Lawrence
:eng: :ar: Liam Livingstone (spin option)
:eng: :ar: Ben Stokes

Wicket-Keepers
:eng: :wkb: Jonny Bairstow
:eng: :wk: Ben Foakes

Seam Bowlers
:eng: :bwl: Jimmy Anderson
:eng: :bwl: Brydon Carse (or Sam Cook if not fit) :redo:
:eng: :bwl: Saqib Mahmood :redo:
:eng: :bwl: Craig Overton
:eng: :bwl: Ollie Robinson
:eng: :bwl: Mark Wood

Spin Bowlers
:eng: :bwl: Dom Bess
:eng: :bwl: Jack Leach

For clarity, I'm not recommending this in particular - it's just what I expect England to do.

Hmmmm... those Tests are in March, so they've a tiny bit of thinking time. Let's go through this alphabetically:

Players in the squad:
  • :eng: :bwl: Jimmy Anderson (39) - Still performing to an excellent standard; it just depends whether he gets rested or not.
  • :eng: :wkb: Jonny Bairstow (32) - Hasn't scored a Test hundred since 2018. Still fully expect him to be picked, possibly as the keeper.
  • :eng: :bwl: Dom Bess (24) - Becoming a better player by not being in the side, I expect him to tour.
  • :eng: :bwl: Stuart Broad (35) - The England management certainly seem to find him very replaceable. I don't disagree. Would drop him.
  • :eng: :bat: Rory Burns (31) - He was dropped for this Test. He's also a better player than Hameed or Burns. I would keep him and I'd make him captain.
  • :eng: :wkb: Jos Buttler (31) - His keeping just seems to be getting worse and worse. Please let this be the end.
  • :eng: :bat: Zak Crawley (24) - A real darling of the England management. Has a first-class average of 30, and without that innings against Pakistan it'd be 28. Drop him.
  • :eng: :bat: Haseeb Hameed (25) - The latest opener to be chewed up and spat out by this Test side. Do not expect him to tour.
  • :eng: :bat: Dan Lawrence (24) - So far hasn't been harmed by over-exposure to this Ashes series. Also decent on slower surfaces; will tour West Indies.
  • :eng: :bwl: Jack Leach (30) - Honestly shocked that he made it back into the England XI for this Test; on that basis, I expect him to tour the West Indies.
  • :eng: :bat: Dawid Malan (34) - If you drop Malan then you might as well drop everyone and start again. Expect him to tour.
  • :eng: :bwl: Craig Overton (27) - Another one who I would definitely select to make the trip. I also expect him to play before the series is out.
  • :eng: :bat: Ollie Pope (24) - 22 Tests as the next great batting hope, has one ton and an average under 30 to show for it. Leave him at home
  • :eng: :bwl: Ollie Robinson (28) - Has quietly become one of the leaders of the English bowling attack. If he's fit, he tours.
  • :eng: :bat: Joe Root (31) - He might desperately need some time off, but I cannot see him being allowed to take it. Will tour, will captain.
  • :eng: :ar: Ben Stokes (30) - Was rushed back from injury and a mental health break. Has barely even looked a shadow of himself. Will be picked, but not sure it's best for him.
  • :eng: :ar: Chris Woakes (33) - Offers very little away from home, probably won't be picked, even if he does balance the side with his batting.
  • :eng: :bwl: Mark Wood (32) - 32 years old already, goodness. Will be picked for a spot of outright pace, but won't be able to play consecutive games or anything.
Lions Players:
  • :eng: :bat: Tom Abell (28) - Probably won't get a look-in; statistically mediocre.
  • :eng: :bat: Josh Bohannon (24) - Averages 44 in first-class cricket. Find me another English batter who does. Will be picked.
  • :eng: :wkb: James Bracey (24) - Although it would be very funny, I can't see the selectors going back to this well any time soon.
  • :eng: :bat: Harry Brook (23) - Averages 27 in first-class cricket. Knowing the ECB they'll probably take him with.
  • :eng: :bwl: Brydon Carse (26) - The England management like him, and if his recovery goes to plan then he'll be in.
  • :eng: :bwl: Sam Cook (24) - An excellent bowler, should definitely be picked as a Broad replacement, especially if Carse's knee still isn't right.
  • :eng: :bwl: Mason Crane (25) - I could honestly see him get a call-up, but it wouldn't make a great deal of sense.
  • :eng: :bwl: Matt Fisher (24) - Hmmm... probabl one or two fast bowling spots away from being picked.
  • :eng: :bwl: Liam Norwell (30) - A good bowler in English conditions, but not a realistic pick at all.
  • :eng: :bwl: Matt Parkinson (25) - A very good bowler, but for some reason I feel like the England management might pick Crane over him if they go for either.
  • :eng: :wk: Jamie Smith (21) - A highly talented young Surrey batter who also keeps from time to time. Honestly what could go wrong.
Others:
  • :eng: :ar: Sam Curran (23) - Probably does make the squad for the home Tests, but I don't think he'll play this winter.
  • :eng: :ar: Liam Livingstone (28) - I think this is the time he gets called up, probably plays as a spinning all-rounder at six.
  • :eng: :bat: Dom Sibley (26) - Should probably tour as a reserve opener. And yet, I don't think he will.
So, my squad

Openers

Top-Order

Middle-Order

Wicket-Keepers

Seam Bowlers

Spin Bowlers

For clarity, I'm not recommending this in particular - it's just what I expect England to do.
I really think the test careers of Bairstow and Buttler need to be ended, unless Bairstow does something great tomorrow. We've got a T20 World Cup and an ODI World Cup to defend - tell them to go and win those for us.

I don't know if they'll go back to Burns, even though he's probably the most effective opener. It's funny that Yates is seemingly next in line despite essentially being Sibley's understudy at Warwickshire. I think Hameed was recalled far too early, if he's carried on his improved form into next season but I think they felt like they had to do something and now he looks like a player who couldn't average more than 10 a couple of season ago.

I would go:

Openers

1 Don't know
2 Don't know

Middle Order

3 Malan
4 Root
5 Stokes - probably captain
6 Lawrence deserves a chance to fail like the rest of them that have come before him - can bowl a bit too which means we don't have to play an actual spinner.
7 Foakes - for the love of god at least give him a year and pray he doesn't slip on a boiled sweet.

Reserve batters:

Bohannon and Bracey (he was picked as a number 3 and got thrown in at the deep end with the gloves).

I think Chris Woakes is easily in the top 7 batters currently in this current squad. If he'd had as many opportunities that Buttler has had at 7, I reckon he'd probably have as many centuries as someone like Ashwin. Dukes ball in the West Indies he might be a good option to keep.

I think England will probably fast track someone like Vince or Livingstone ahead of Lawrence who will be probably continue to practice his drinks mixing skills. Crawley will probably hang around, although all the money his Dad has spent sending him around the world to become a great batsman is beginning to look like a waste.

As for the bowlers - I think you might be right about Broad, that he is slipping down the pecking order even though he's probably been England's best bowler in the last two years. Just the kind of person he seems like, I think he will go on playing until he overtakes Anderson's record. Unfortunately, Anderson keeps going. Ironically, it may be because Broad's batting has fallen off a cliff that is costing him his place.

I think England may rest some players in the West Indies for the tests, which could be a good excuse to drop some on the sly and at least try out some new players. I think some senior players may pull out if there are restrictions or just turn up for the T20s. Although, I wouldn't put it past the ECB to stick two fingers up to the WICB like they did with the PCB. Thanks for saving English cricket but you can get stuffed.

I think Pakistan would batter this England side. One is a side that's one the rise and the other might be the worst I've seen.
I’d say this England side is comfortably the worst I’ve seen since the 93 Ashes.

we picked some some shocking sides in that series. (Alan Igglesden, Mark Illott, Mark Lathwell, Martin Mcague and Peter Such - I’m looking at you.)

I’d say this England side is comfortably the worst I’ve seen since the 93 Ashes.

we picked some some shocking sides in that series. (Alan Igglesden, Mark Illott, Mark Lathwell, Martin Mcague and Peter Such - I’m looking at you.)
On the flip side, take your pick from Gooch, Atherton, Thorpe, Stewart, Hussain, Smith, Hick and even Ramprakash and, combined with the current bowlers, we'd have a half decent team.

Players in the squad:
Lions Players:
Others:
So, my squad

Openers

Top-Order

Middle-Order

Wicket-Keepers

Seam Bowlers

Spin Bowlers

Of players in the actual current squad, only one good player (Robinson) is under 30 and he’s 28.

Our troubles are worse than we think. When Root/Stokes/Anderson/Broad finish we have nothing.

Of players in the actual current squad, only one good player (Robinson) is under 30 and he’s 28.

Our troubles are worse than we think. When Root/Stokes/Anderson/Broad finish we have nothing.

Never expected England to have the Bangladesh problem, but here we are.

Never expected England to have the Bangladesh problem, but here we are.
I don't think we'll struggle for bowlers in England. You could probably pluck half a dozen players out of county cricket who could take wickets at home.

The worrying thing is no batter, since Root, has emerged as a banker and Ollie Pope who is a beast in county cricket doesn't look like he'd get anywhere near Root's record and might not even exceed a player like Bairstow.

I'm ashamed of myself for even thinking this, and it is unlikely to happen but, from an England point of view, it might be a mercy if the rest of the series has to be abandoned because of Covid. As long as no one gets seriously ill, of course.

Users who are viewing this thread