The Ashes: (England tour of Australia)

Who will win the Ashes?

• England

Votes: 9 25.7%
  • Australia

Votes: 26 74.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Australia Squad: Steve Smith (c), David Warner (vc), Cameron Bancroft, Usman Khawaja, Peter Handscomb, Shaun Marsh, Tim Paine (wk), Mitchell Starc, Pat Cummins, Nathan Lyon, Josh Hazlewood, Jackson Bird, Chadd Sayers.

How is Marsh picked ahead of Maxwell? Maxwell averaged 40 in the shield, can bowl, and can change the match single handedly. What's the use of Marsh at 6?

Bancroft got his reward for scoring huge double ton.
Paine played very well in CAXI match.
Sayers was automatic choice after Sheild performance.

Marsh was the perfect replacement of Maxwell, because maxi hardly bowl these days.

Surprised by Renshaw exclusion and Paine inclusion. I thought he did okay in the Shield matches but still out of the blue selection. Renshaw deserved another chance, every player goes through this phase and honestly I think the Aussie selectors were a bit harsh on him. I don't know what to expect from Paine, expected Nevill still make way or Bancroft, whose 228* in his last shield game paved the way for his inclusion.

I honestly feel this isn't the best team still, the four bowlers look daunting but Australia will surely miss the presence of a fifth bowler. This team lacks depth in its lower order batting for sure and an pace bowling all-rounder was needed for sure.

However, this makes the Ashes even more interesting, but still I would rate Australia slightly more in favour than England. At the end of the day, it's more going to be who performs on that day and who takes the advantage of the situation. Australia's middle and lower order looks a bit wobbly, but I am still backing Australia to win and that's that.

Australia Squad: Steve Smith (c), David Warner (vc), Cameron Bancroft, Usman Khawaja, Peter Handscomb, Shaun Marsh, Tim Paine (wk), Mitchell Starc, Pat Cummins, Nathan Lyon, Josh Hazlewood, Jackson Bird, Chadd Sayers.

How is Marsh picked ahead of Maxwell? Maxwell averaged 40 in the shield, can bowl, and can change the match single handedly. What's the use of Marsh at 6?
What I've noticed about Steve Smith's captaincy is he does not want to exploit Maxwell's talent and make him bowl for a few overs. He is a very handy bowler but he refuses for him to bowl . Maxwell is a decent batsman, but is a bit reckless at times, but he is truly an all-rounder, not a pure batsman. However , if we were to talk who the better batsman is between Marsh and Maxwell, it would still be Marsh considering he is a pure batsman and scored runs in the Shield and the One Day Cup as well.

Renshaw seemed pretty good during the India tour. I would have liked to see him given the cushion of at least 2 (or even 3) Tests given that Australia are playing at home.

This is why I said Kohli and Smith are awful. How in the world did Paine get picked? People are talking about the poor form of Renshaw but all it takes is one innings. His inclusion alone would have been a huge confidence booster for him. The continuous chop and change is not good.

Probably with the recent form. Maxwell hasn't done much in Shield games.[DOUBLEPOST=1510894504][/DOUBLEPOST]

Again, the recent form of him has been awful.

You are picking a WK who has not kept wickets in donkey's years and then keeping shield games as a barometer? The blokes in question did enough on national duty to be picked.

You can't have one set of rules for some people and another for others.

Last edited:
Probably with the recent form. Maxwell hasn't done much in Shield games.
Even if we overlook the fact that Maxwell averaged 40, and scored just 25-30 runs less than him, what's the point of having Marsh at 6? They should've picked an AR.

Even if we overlook the fact that Maxwell averaged 40, and scored just 25-30 runs less than him, what's the point of having Marsh at 6? They should've picked an AR.

I don't have any obsession with the AR. But, S Marsh has been given a plethora of opportunities. Maxwell did well in his chances and he's the sort of bloke that changes games in an hour.

People are talking about the poor form of Renshaw but all it takes is one innings. His inclusion alone would have been a huge confidence booster for him.

It would have, but when you have competition for opening role (in this case Bancroft) it is always hard to pick either of them. At end of the day performance matters, I guess.

Marsh will probably bat up, while Handscomb being at 6 is what I can think of. An extra batsmen to hold the innings if the top order fails (which happens quite often for Australia, in the recent times).

It is tough to not have extra bowling option but worth having depth with bat, when you got top class bowling attack to take over.

You are picking a WK who has not kept wickets in donkey's years and then keeping shield games as a barometer? The blokes in question did enough on national duty to be picked.

You can't have one set of rules for some people and another for others.

The fact that Paine played CAXI against England where he got half century under pressure, showed courage. Probably on basis of that and a half-century on the get-go Shield game, won him a callup.

Though, I am surprised with picking Handscomb who averages just under 26

Renshaw is unlucky that Bancroft scored a shit loads of runs in the last 2 rounds :)
Good for Bancroft poor lad was selected for Aus in 15 ?? But the tour of Bangladesh got postponed :)[DOUBLEPOST=1510906683][/DOUBLEPOST]Paine is a pretty good keeper and is okish with bat :) HIS TIME HAS COME :') PAINE <3

Marsh will probably bat up, while Handscomb being at 6 is what I can think of. An extra batsmen to hold the innings if the top order fails (which happens quite often for Australia, in the recent times).

It is tough to not have extra bowling option but worth having depth with bat, when you got top class bowling attack to take over.
Likely it was Marsh vs Jake Lehmann, who was unfortunate to miss out playing despite a string of good scores in domestic. Don't quite understand what's going on with Shaun Marsh. The whole problem of selecting him is mind boggling. He plays in India, then he gets dropped, and then comes back again. Considering he's 34, Australia should have gone for a young batsman like Jake. Australia will surely miss the presence of an all-rounder, having someone to bowl a few overs and bats well is a must in this team. This may prove the difference between England and Australia as Aus have no all-rounder. It doesn't make much sense for Shaun Marsh to bat as low as 6. He should bat higher in my opinion.

Likely it was Marsh vs Jake Lehmann, who was unfortunate to miss out playing despite a string of good scores in domestic.

Jake Weatherald was somebody who scored runs this Shield games, and I thought he would get a go. But then again you would want experience so Marsh for ideal.

Marsh is a quality cricketer, don't know why everybody hates to see him. Always gets injured when he was performing well, and making a comeback was rocky.

Users who are viewing this thread