The Australian Openers Gig

Who should open with Hayden in the Tests?

• Total voters

smssia0112

Chairman of Selectors
Well it's been discussed a lot lately, who will be opening the batting come Test Season with Matthew Hayden, who will claim the prized opening job from Justin Langer?

Will it be the favourite, Phil Jaques, the solid performer, Chris Rogers, or one of the 'versatile' (which is cricket talk for "Sure I can do that, why not, just gimme a test cap :upray") Brad Hodge or Shane Watson?

Jaques seems to be leading the way, with previous test experience, and excellent recent Australia A form. He also has the advantage of coming from New South Wales.

Rogers was outstanding last season in the Pura Cup, and solid for Australia A too, opening for Western Australia.

Brad Hodge has opened for Victoria in One Day games, but is adding opener to his repertoire to give himself a chance at joining the Aussie Test side again, much like Langer did when he became an opener from a top order batsman. An outside chance, but could be worthwhile.

Shane Watson is popular with selectors, and should he drop his bowling opening could be a good move for him. Lack of experience, and injury problems, should stop him from opening this year, but in the future who knows?

Mike Hussey has also been touted, as a former opener, but he seems settled in the middle order at this stage both in domestic and international cricket, though he is another possibility.

Last edited:
Well it's been discussed a lot lately, who will be opening the batting come Test Season with Matthew Hayden, who will claim the prized opening job from Justin Langer?

Will it be the favourite, Phil Jaques, the solid performer, Chris Rogers, or one of the 'versatile' (which is cricket talk for "Sure I can do that, why not, just gimme a test cap :upray") Brad Hodge or Shane Watson?

Jaques seems to be leading the way, with previous test experience, and excellent recent Australia A form. He also has the advantage of coming from New South Wales.

Rogers was outstanding last season in the Pura Cup, and solid for Australia A too, opening for Western Australia.

Brad Hodge has opened for Victoria in One Day games, but is adding opener to his repertoire to give himself a chance at joining the Aussie Test side again, much like Langer did when he became an opener from a top order batsman. An outside chance, but could be worthwhile.

Shane Watson is popular with selectors, and should he drop his bowling opening could be a good move for him. Lack of experience, and injury problems, should stop him from opening this year, but in the future who knows?
To me its a battle between Rogers and Jacques.

Rogers gets the nod for me. Not just because he is a West Aussie but because of his Pura Cup season last season. In the 4 day game he just dominated really. And thats were the results matter most - 4 days. Sure, Jacques was good during the year but Rogers was just better. I just hope that the selectors choose Jacques because he is a NSW boy - they seem to love them. If Rogers doesn't get picked I will be shattered, he has tried for so long and has had huge seasons in Australia and England (not the 2007 season but), he deserves it. Rogers is a true opener and a West Aussie swap Rogers-Langer would be good. I know Jacques dominated on this recent tour of Pakistan but that shouldnt make the selectors forget about Rogers 4 day form last season should it? Anyways, the great thing is that we have 2 Pura Cup matches before the First Test this summer and guess who play each other? Yup, NSW vs WA, I think its at the WACA as well so I will probably go to that one. It will be a direct battle I think between these two.

Brad Hodge I just dont think will be good at number 1 for Australia. I haven't seen him do well enough against quality pace against swing and seam internationally. I have seen him score a hundred but that was when he was in the middle order on a flat WACA pitch, so I am not convinced that he can open for Australia yet, he needs to open for Vic first. The selectors won't throw him in straight away - he is the dark horse. His only chance of playing this summer is if the selectors promote Hussey to opener and then slot in Hodge at 4 as the "Damien Martyn".

Shane Watson, they can't go with him can they? He is a middle order batsman with dodgy hamstrings imagine after fielding all day then having to bat late in the day as an opener, he will just break down again. I think he would need to drop his bowling if he was to become an Aussie opener, he has already said he isn't going to be doing that in the near future. He still thinks he can be Freddie.

If I were the selectors I would go with this pecking order:

1.Rogers
2.Jacques
3.Hodge
4.Watson

Hussey seems firmly entrenched as number 4, Hodge is an outside chance, but as I said he has some experience for Victoria. He is definitely capable against good attacks, he is a number 3 most of the time, but his real playing card right now is the fact that Langer was also a number 3 when he was first touted as an international opener, and couldn't make it at 3 for the Aussies.

But I also prefer Rogers, he showed so much last year for WA, though Jaques seems to be more popular. Rogers is also a lot more of a grafter than Jaques, like Langer was.

Phil Jaques should get it, his in much better form and has been more successful over a long period of time whilst Chris Rogers' first-class average has dropped by almost 3 runs over the past few months.

Jacques makes a few good scores in Pakistan and all that Rogers has done in the past season is forgotten already? I hope not. Rogers is the best man for the job with Hayden. Give him a shot...

Yeah but if you're going to base your logic on that then you'd be ignoring everything Jaques acchieved before Rogers did.

Hence why Jaques has already been given a go at International level & Rogers hasn't.

But meh, either way. One of them is going to play second fiddle to Hayden. :)

Yeah, I know both of them are going to do well because they are Australian:p

But I just want to see Rogers rewarded after last season, anyways Jacques has already had a shot at the top level.

Isnt Rogers abit old ? I mean 30 is stupidly old but it's still abit old for a player to start an international career. I feel that Jaques is the right age to get the nod and has a very impressive FC average. I'd go for him and Haydos at the top of the order.

From the outside, I would like to see Phil Jaques given a proper chance to play Test matches for Australia as an opening batsman.

I remember last summer (Or was it the summer before) the selectors wouldn't want to pick Jaques because of his "bad fielding" and then like the next day he takes a ripper of a catch from close in.

Classic :D

Isnt Rogers abit old ? I mean 30 is stupidly old but it's still abit old for a player to start an international career. I feel that Jaques is the right age to get the nod and has a very impressive FC average. I'd go for him and Haydos at the top of the order.

Rogers is only 30. Jaques is 28. Not much difference. Also, look at Michael Hussey, he is another West Aussie opener that was only picked for the Test team at 30.

From the outside, I would like to see Phil Jaques given a proper chance to play Test matches for Australia as an opening batsman.

Yeah, from the outside, if you followed Domestic Cricket here you would know that Rogers has had two stellar seasons in the 4 day game here - the format that counts towards Test selection. While Jaques has only been good without being spectacular.

I'd go with Jaques after the performance in Pakistan with the A side. If Rogers gets the nod I would still be happy.

Users who are viewing this thread