The Australian Openers Gig

Who should open with Hayden in the Tests?

• Total voters
Rogers being ruled out shouldn't make a difference as Jaques has been the stand out this season and even when he was meant to be out of form he still managed a average of just a touch under 50.
Yeah, well it just came to show he wasn't genuinely out of form. As I said at the time, you have to give openers the benefit of the doubt when it comes to new ball bowling. Sometimes they really do get it right first ball. Even the most rank delivery comes down to a percentage and even against a great player, the best balls are going to strike sooner rather than later. The definition of form for an opening batsman is taking his starts into triple figures. Get in, stay in.

i will pick Phil Jaques because he had lot hundred and i remember he play his club (forget club name) against england in ashes warm up last year and he got one hundred each other innings.

It was NSW and he also score a hundred aaginst them for the PM XI vs England

Tough call, especially for Hodge and Rogers who would probably be playing regular international cricket in any other country.

I actually believe hussey should be there-he has great determination and guts it out until the new ball is gone.

People say "he has cemented the middle order for himself" I disagree with that. I don't think he did all that well in the Ashes actually-compared to what he COULD of done. He nicked a few if I remember correctly and only got the 1 hundred and two fiftes?

I think the team SHOULD (but wont be):

Hussey-Like I said he can guts it out and give Australia a good start

Hayden-Obvious

Ponting-Obvious

Clarke-I think this guy is special. As I have said on here, I think he has the widest range of shots and the most elegence in the whole team behind Ponting. I think he needs to step up and do what he is capable of. I believe we saw signs of this last year in the Ashes.

Katich-This guy is in AMAZING form. Never one to be stylish, but he is breath taking at the moment. He scored a triple century recently. He had a bad run a certain test series and unfortunately that certain test series was the most documented ever. (Ashes 2005 :P)

Symonds-Best player in the team in India. Sure, it was ODI, but I think we saw how much Symonds has matured in regards to pacing his innings. And, who could forget that 150 at the 'G?

Gilchrist-JUST. I really mean this. This guy is overrated. He is only in my team because every now and then he is on fire. And when Gilchrist on fire is the best thing in world cricket, so I think it is just worth the wait.

Lee-Obvious

Clark-Obvious in tests. I'm not sold on him in ODIs yet.

Johnson-Two reasons. I don't think it is worth the gamble to throw in a Noffke and Tait isn't back to his best yet. Also, I am not shot on Nathan Bracken he does have the ability to swing the ball I guess..

Macgill-I think you can't say no to him. He averages 5 wickets a game and usually performance-dare I say it-better than Warne (in regards to wickets ONLY). Putting hogg in will be a mark of disrespect to the second best legspinner in the past 5 years.

I heard that Macgill and Hogg are having a bowl off in the nets to decide who grabs the spot-seems pretty silly.

Last edited:
I've never seen Phil Jaques play but by the sound of it he seems pretty good

He is a freak china. He scores hundreds every second innings it seems in aussie cricket.

Users who are viewing this thread