The Australian Openers Gig

Who should open with Hayden in the Tests?

• Total voters
Yeah, but that was in the era before scoring 90 runs in the first 15 overs wasn't even contemplated - i.e Mark Taylor.

You just have to see his ODI SR to see he should be more than capable in the test arena. Hes dropped way down the list for the selectors and his age means he'll be very lucky to get the call up.

Yeah, well I think the fact the selectors decide he didn't warrant a contract from Cricket Australia really shows how down the pecking order he really is.

He would definitely be a better Test batsman than ODI. The thing is that not long ago, he was Michael Clarke. He was the young, talented batsman and a future captain for Australia, but since the Ashes he has dropped down the pecking order a great deal.

According to an article I read the selectors won't be playing favoritism so whoever is in the best form at the start of the domestic season could well find themselves a spot. Obviously the guys not on the radar atm would have to do something special.

According to an article I read the selectors won't be playing favoritism so whoever is in the best form at the start of the domestic season could well find themselves a spot. Obviously the guys not on the radar atm would have to do something special.
As if the selectors would admit they play favouritism?

Well i think Phil Jaques should open with Hayden.

Phil Jaques isn't really in form after his dissapointing spell in England this season. Rogers... well i dont thinl he played English Cricket... Hodge has also, like Jaques picked a bad time to lose form and i dont think Watson i good enough..

So i guess i would choose Rogers but i would love to see Jaques play this summer but he might have to wait a bit into the Australian Domestic season.
I think Hussey would be a good option up the top too.

Rogers' average has dropped from 50 to 47.

He shouldn't be given the go ahead just because of 1 good domestic season whilst Jaques has been productive in the last couple of seasons & averages 7 more runs per innings then Rogers does + he can also play ODI cricket in the future so giving him more International experience could benefit both forms of the game.

Hodge would also be a good option but it appears his struggling in the subcontient.

Phil Jaques isn't really in form after his dissapointing spell in England this season. Rogers... well i dont thinl he played English Cricket... Hodge has also, like Jaques picked a bad time to lose form and i dont think Watson i good enough..

So i guess i would choose Rogers but i would love to see Jaques play this summer but he might have to wait a bit into the Australian Domestic season.
I think Hussey would be a good option up the top too.
Well Rogers was also disappointing in England this year.

wfdu_ben91 said:
Hodge would also be a good option but it appears his struggling in the subcontient.
Yeah, it's probably hurting his chances, but who knows, he is a consistent FC batsman.

There is Jaques. There's Hussey. I think Micheal Clarke would be a good Test Opener. He's shown eral good temperament so for in India. Of course, thats ODI's.
What about Gilly? Bring about another new "tactic" to Test Cricket now, scoring in the first 20 overs, just like ODIs.

Clarke's more suited to the ODI game.

You can't expect a wicketkeeper in his mid 30's to immediately start opening the batting after wicketkeeping for 90+ overs.

Bradley Elizabeth Hodge. How anyone can be above him in the pecking order is insane.

Users who are viewing this thread