The best batsmen over the last 5 years in test match cricket

Insomniac

Title Recipient
Online Cricket Games Owned
The query?

From 2003, who holds the highest batting average in test match cricket.

The results? Very surprising, as men who are real match-winners and team players top the list.

SR Waugh (Aus) - 76.61
Misbah-ul-Haq (Pak) - 70.50
MEK Hussey (Aus) - 68.38
RT Ponting (Aus) - 68.05

-----------------Big Gap--------------------------

Mohammad Yousuf (Pak) - 63.29
Jacques Kallis (RSA) - 60.29
Brian Lara (WI) - 60.01
Kumar Sangakkara (SL) - 58.20
Mahela Jayawadene (SL) - 56.48
Younis Khan (Pak) - 56.45
Virender Sehwag (Ind) - 55.64
Shiv Chanderpaul (WI) - 54.70
Rahul Dravid (Ind) - 54.49
Matthew Hayden (Aus) - 53.78
Inzamam-ul-Haq (Pak) - 51.09
Kevin Pietersen (Eng) - 50.51

--------------------------------------

Honorable Mention: Sachin 'God" Tendulkar: 46.45

Now before anybody says I'm targetting Tendulkar and all, please note I am looking at the highest averages since 2003, to indicate who in the recent past have been the highest runs getter.

Now, what I am going to do is put in only the top 4 teams since 2003. Those are Australia, South Africa, India, and Sri Lanka. Now feel free to debate this point, although I don't think we'll get very far doing that. For those players who play for those countries, I included a 5th team, England to give them 4 top opposition teams

Now doing this brings in some ridiculously high averages due to 1 to 3 tests being played. Those are ignored.

Misbah-ul-Haq (Pak) - 78.71 (take this with a bit of salt, as its only 5 tests - 9 innings)
MEK Hussey (Aus) - 72.04
Mahela Jayawardene (SL) - 66.69
Younus Khan (Pak) - 64.13
Brian Lara (WI) - 60.33
Ricky Ponting (Aus) - 58.50
Michael Clarke (Aus) - 57.10
Shiv Chanderpaul (WI) - 56.04
Kevin Pietersen (Eng) - 51.72
Kumar Sangakkara (SL) - 51.13
Matthew Hayden (Aus) - 47.87

Honorable Mention: Sachin Tendulkar (Ind) - 39.02

Just to say, Paul Collingwood and Tillakatrane Dilshan have a higher average in the last 5 years than Tendulkar.

http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru...3;spanval1=span;template=results;type=batting

http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru...3;spanval1=span;template=results;type=batting

So going on the past 5 years (which I guess could be termed a rise in class of a batsman, since to sustain good form over this large period of time would be very difficult), the top 5:
1. Michael Hussey
2. Mahela Jayawardene
3. Younus Khan
4. Brian Lara
5. Ricky Ponting

As far as Misbah-ul-Haq is concerned, this thread can be revisited on that point after the series against India and Australia (if it ever happens) take place.

I wouldn't have included Waugh since he retired in 04, also wouldn't have included Misbah since he only played 5 tests.

All the guys that are good in the game are there.

Also no need to mention Sachin. Instead of writing "* Honorable mention sachin blah blah" you should mention the next 3-4 guys in the list instead of trying to start another argument.

I'm not Indian and I don't have anything against you but you are kind of annoying even me with this sachin thing.

Edit:

also according to stats guru on cricinfo Inzi averages 49. 79 from Sept 10th 03 to Sept 10th 07

Last edited:
Everyone knows that Sachin struggled thoughout 2005-2006 and hence his low average. It's not hard really. It seems to me that you are more of a attention seeker(just like your hero shoaib actor). Not surprising given the lack of cricket your team these days.

I wouldn't have included Waugh since he retired in 04, also wouldn't have included Misbah since he only played 5 tests.

All the guys that are good in the game are there.

Also no need to mention Sachin. Instead of writing "* Honorable mention sachin blah blah" you should mention the next 3-4 guys in the list instead of trying to start another argument.

I'm not Indian and I don't have anything against you but you are kind of annoying even me with this sachin thing.

Edit:

also according to stats guru on cricinfo Inzi averages 49. 79 from Sept 10th 03 to Sept 10th 07
I'm not sure where you got 49.79 - possibly you copied the numbers wrong.

The first URL was used to find the players who were not in Australia, India, Sri Lanka, and South Africa.

The second URL was used to find players who were in those teams, and then I added England so that a 4th team could be made.

Again, I made a note that Misbah did play 5 tests, but it seems that he is capable of maintaing the quality needed to stay at the top, so this thread can be revisited at that point.

Also TruSachFan, Shoaib Akhtar is not my hero. My heros don't include people who associate themselves with God, and to me, Sachin Tendulkar is very overrated. This just backs my opinion.

The average isn't bad, but it is DEFINITELY not legendary. And why do you associate something negative with Pakistan cricket everytime I disprove the "Sachin is God" theory. It would help if you wanted to intelligently debate that point, instead of attacking the team.

And I'm not too sure how its a lack of cricket. Lack of competitive cricket might be a better word, because we played Zimbabwe and Bangladesh for 10 ODIs, then the Kitply Cup, then the Asia Cup.

I'm not sure how thats a lack of cricket at all, more like an overburn of ODI cricket. Yes, we have had a lack of test cricket.

Either way, thats not the point, please shut up and debate the point on hand. Go start another thread if you want to use other things to attack me. :)

My heros don't include people who associate themselves with God, and to me, Sachin Tendulkar is very overrated.

Sachn Tendulkar has never said himself God,.

Well I am not interested in statistical fight at all but if this is you?re only concerned then you should know that nobody is forcing anyone to say him god.
It is just passion of some people for Cricket and for Sachin.
By saying God, nobody means a real God (A mysterious power who runs the world), it is just the way Indian people respect him.
You must know, what cricket means in India? Sachin was mentioned as a God in India because Cricket has established itself as a religion in India.
I understand that Forum is to suggest your ideas and reviews but you are just after Sachin to prove that he is not god, something which we all know.

Again on serious note nobody forces anyone to say him God, but a common praise I heard from all those who have known him is that he has always showed concern for those not as fortunate as him. The Mumbai team got Reebok as their sponsors a few years back only because Tendulkar agreed, though the money offered for the entire team was one fourths of the price Tendulkar single-handedly commanded at that time. He agreed only because it would help the rest of his team-mates. And it's not just fellow players. He paid his entire Ranji Trophy season's earnings to the Mumbai Cricket Association ground staff after Mumbai beat Punjab in the 1994-95 final.
Tendulkar's public reputation is such that when he was accused of ball tampering, the entire nation rose in protest. NKP Salve, former Union Minister and a past president of the BCCI, echoed the sentiments of the masses when he said: "Sachin cannot cheat. He is to cricket what (Mahatma) Gandhiji was to politics. It's clear discrimination." The ICC were forced to explain that Tendulkar's only mistake was removing grass from the ball without informing the umpires, "which is very different from ball tampering".
One of the biggest factors that vouch for his credibility was at the height of the match-fixing scandal it was said that the betting mafia would not fix odds till Tendulkar was dismissed.
Tendulkar is unquestionably one of the all-time greats of the game, but what boggles the mind is the fact that, despite the surrealistic fame and trappings of money, the values and humility inculcated by his parents have remained intact. The middle class roots of the Tendulkars are very strong. Sachin's mother Rajini continued to be an LIC employee long after her son became cricket's Bill Gates.

Again I am not interfering your awesome work but if you?re concerned is only that we say Sachin a God, then a millions statistics like these can?t even change it.:)

zmario, if you think sachin is overrated, then good, Hats of to you. I'm not an attention seeker. Everyone knows your opinion about sachin already and frankly i don't think anyone gives a rat's a$$ about it.

BTW, Sachin is not "GOD." It is your feeble mind which tells you that every sach fan thinks he is god. He's not. He just has a kind of "god" status, and I dont see the reason why indian fans calling sach "god" gives you multiple orgasms. He's Indian. You don't have to worry about that.

Over the last five years, I'd definitely say Mike Hussey - he's been exceedingly consistent, and a great all round player and cricketer.

Sachin our god, our lord. It's still useless putting up stats like that, and people will say you are foolish after the world knows what kind of a batsmen he is..

btw, Sachin hasn't really performed nicely in 2005 onwards usually as he has a lot of injuries, if he hasn't had any injuries, he'd have more wood in his stick..

SACHIN THE GOD!!..

If they had so high Averages, why did they didn't score 16000+ Runs in OD and highest career scoring playing in tests, leave all the other things, answer my question straight forward.. And match-winning performances did make an impact on india, as sachin performs in a stand-alone manner, the others didn't coop-up. Enough..

Last edited:

no excluding of anybody, I hate it when people do that. o Bangladesh this and Zimbabwe that, face it they are test nations or were so include them in the stats.

not talking to you mario about Bangladesh or Zimbabwe just in general.
Erm, I did that above.

Not sure what you're smoking, but I'd like some of that :p

zMario added 9 Minutes and 59 Seconds later...

Sachn Tendulkar has never said himself God,.

Well I am not interested in statistical fight at all but if this is you?re only concerned then you should know that nobody is forcing anyone to say him god.
It is just passion of some people for Cricket and for Sachin.
By saying God, nobody means a real God (A mysterious power who runs the world), it is just the way Indian people respect him.
You must know, what cricket means in India? Sachin was mentioned as a God in India because Cricket has established itself as a religion in India.
I understand that Forum is to suggest your ideas and reviews but you are just after Sachin to prove that he is not god, something which we all know.

Again on serious note nobody forces anyone to say him God, but a common praise I heard from all those who have known him is that he has always showed concern for those not as fortunate as him. The Mumbai team got Reebok as their sponsors a few years back only because Tendulkar agreed, though the money offered for the entire team was one fourths of the price Tendulkar single-handedly commanded at that time. He agreed only because it would help the rest of his team-mates. And it's not just fellow players. He paid his entire Ranji Trophy season's earnings to the Mumbai Cricket Association ground staff after Mumbai beat Punjab in the 1994-95 final.
Tendulkar's public reputation is such that when he was accused of ball tampering, the entire nation rose in protest. NKP Salve, former Union Minister and a past president of the BCCI, echoed the sentiments of the masses when he said: "Sachin cannot cheat. He is to cricket what (Mahatma) Gandhiji was to politics. It's clear discrimination." The ICC were forced to explain that Tendulkar's only mistake was removing grass from the ball without informing the umpires, "which is very different from ball tampering".

And Rahul Dravid doesn't ball tamper? Ha ha ha.

And you cannot possibly call Sachin a sporting character. The man tries to deceive the umpire into making incorrect decisions, which is well and truly not allowed in the laws of the game. He is one of the biggest whiners I have ever seen, and cannot control his emoticions like a professional even from the dressing room

And guess what vaib? Pakistan were accused of ball tampering, and Inzamam stood up :).

One of the biggest factors that vouch for his credibility was at the height of the match-fixing scandal it was said that the betting mafia would not fix odds till Tendulkar was dismissed.
Tendulkar is unquestionably one of the all-time greats of the game, but what boggles the mind is the fact that, despite the surrealistic fame and trappings of money, the values and humility inculcated by his parents have remained intact. The middle class roots of the Tendulkars are very strong. Sachin's mother Rajini continued to be an LIC employee long after her son became cricket's Bill Gates.

I've never heard of this, please get some decent source on that.

And what does this have to do with it? We are talking about his cricket performances, not his dang parents. I don't care if his parents are Bill Gates or drug lords or hobos.

Again I am not interfering your awesome work but if you?re concerned is only that we say Sachin a God, then a millions statistics like these can?t even change it.:)

Of course not. But it just shows that possibly some people are a bit over-excited about a guy whose averaged around 40 and below in the last 5 years.

zmario, if you think sachin is overrated, then good, Hats of to you. I'm not an attention seeker. Everyone knows your opinion about sachin already and frankly i don't think anyone gives a rat's a$$ about it.

BTW, Sachin is not "GOD." It is your feeble mind which tells you that every sach fan thinks he is god. He's not. He just has a kind of "god" status, and I dont see the reason why indian fans calling sach "god" gives you multiple orgasms. He's Indian. You don't have to worry about that.

Yeah, if you don't care, why are you posting in this thread? Can't admit to reality? Can't admit to the fact Sachin has been so bad (bad if people are calling him a legend in the test match arena) in the last 5 years its just embarassing?

What does the fact he's Indian have to do with it? He is well and truly overrated, he is a whiner, he attempts to deceive umpires, he does not obide by the spirit of the game, he is a cheater at times :)

Sachin our god, our lord. It's still useless putting up stats like that, and people will say you are foolish after the world knows what kind of a batsmen he is..

btw, Sachin hasn't really performed nicely in 2005 onwards usually as he has a lot of injuries, if he hasn't had any injuries, he'd have more wood in his stick..

SACHIN THE GOD!!..

If they had so high Averages, why did they didn't score 16000+ Runs in OD and highest career scoring playing in tests, leave all the other things, answer my question straight forward.. And match-winning performances did make an impact on india, as sachin performs in a stand-alone manner, the others didn't coop-up. Enough..

First of all, cut the OD crap. This is a test match thread. He scores, yes.

Also, "stand-alone manner"? Cut the crap. Tell me why Dravid has an average of 71+ in test match cricket in wins for India while Tendulkar has a paltry 60.

Is it just a coincidence that Dravid scores in Indian wins while Tendulkar doesn't?

Others didn't coop-up? Explain Dravid's average in wins?

And cut the injury junk. It's his fault for not being fit or whatever, you absolutely cannot blame injuries for Tendulkar's failures. That just makes your post look like the biggest piece of junk ever. If he wants to get back into form, go to domestic cricket and do it. You cannot possibly use injuries as an excuse.

Let me say this - would you rather have Brett Lee or Shoaib Akhtar, based on the fact that say Lee averages 23 in test match cricket and Akhtar averages 22, but Akhtar is more injury-prone than Lee?

Of course, one would take Brett Lee, right? I rest my case.

There are 3 kinds of lies... lies, damn lies, and statistics ;)

Title Changed? ;).. I'd pick akthar over lee, you never know his lethal tricks.. And YES everything is junk for you, when you want to support anyone, you bring in those junk what you say.. and when you want to get the bad of others in any way possible, you cut others' words..heh..

Last edited:
The query?

From 2003, who holds the highest batting average in test match cricket.

The results? Very surprising, as men who are real match-winners and team players top the list.

SR Waugh (Aus) - 76.61
Misbah-ul-Haq (Pak) - 70.50
MEK Hussey (Aus) - 68.38
RT Ponting (Aus) - 68.05

-----------------Big Gap--------------------------

Mohammad Yousuf (Pak) - 63.29
Jacques Kallis (RSA) - 60.29
Brian Lara (WI) - 60.01
Kumar Sangakkara (SL) - 58.20
Mahela Jayawadene (SL) - 56.48
Younis Khan (Pak) - 56.45
Virender Sehwag (Ind) - 55.64
Shiv Chanderpaul (WI) - 54.70
Rahul Dravid (Ind) - 54.49
Matthew Hayden (Aus) - 53.78
Inzamam-ul-Haq (Pak) - 51.09
Kevin Pietersen (Eng) - 50.51

--------------------------------------

Honorable Mention: Sachin 'God" Tendulkar: 46.45

Now before anybody says I'm targetting Tendulkar and all, please note I am looking at the highest averages since 2003, to indicate who in the recent past have been the highest runs getter.

Now, what I am going to do is put in only the top 4 teams since 2003. Those are Australia, South Africa, India, and Sri Lanka. Now feel free to debate this point, although I don't think we'll get very far doing that. For those players who play for those countries, I included a 5th team, England to give them 4 top opposition teams

Now doing this brings in some ridiculously high averages due to 1 to 3 tests being played. Those are ignored.

Misbah-ul-Haq (Pak) - 78.71 (take this with a bit of salt, as its only 5 tests - 9 innings)
MEK Hussey (Aus) - 72.04
Mahela Jayawardene (SL) - 66.69
Younus Khan (Pak) - 64.13
Brian Lara (WI) - 60.33
Ricky Ponting (Aus) - 58.50
Michael Clarke (Aus) - 57.10
Shiv Chanderpaul (WI) - 56.04
Kevin Pietersen (Eng) - 51.72
Kumar Sangakkara (SL) - 51.13
Matthew Hayden (Aus) - 47.87

Honorable Mention: Sachin Tendulkar (Ind) - 39.02

Just to say, Paul Collingwood and Tillakatrane Dilshan have a higher average in the last 5 years than Tendulkar.

So going on the past 5 years (which I guess could be termed a rise in class of a batsman, since to sustain good form over this large period of time would be very difficult), the top 5:
1. Michael Hussey
2. Mahela Jayawardene
3. Younus Khan
4. Brian Lara
5. Ricky Ponting

As far as Misbah-ul-Haq is concerned, this thread can be revisited on that point after the series against India and Australia (if it ever happens) take place.
What's Chanderpaul's statistics over the last 5 years?

Guys, we can't be bothered with another thread on whether Sachin is or isn't better than x batsman. If it goes into that, it will be closed.

Users who are viewing this thread