The best batsmen over the last 5 years in test match cricket

Its gotta be Ricky Ponting. He had a quiet summer last year but apart from that his record in the last 5 years is incredible. Mike Hussey , Sangakkara and Chandrapaul not far behind him.

Its gotta be Ricky Ponting. He had a quiet summer last year but apart from that his record in the last 5 years is incredible. Mike Hussey , Sangakkara and Chandrapaul not far behind him.
You can also add Kallis to that list, but of course excluding his pathetic england tour.

Last five years only Ponting. If Misbah is in top players of last five years who are match winners then :rtfl

Please keep it civil and stop insulting each other. This is a warning--if it is not heeded it will result in an infraction.

http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru...3;spanval1=span;template=results;type=batting

no excluding of anybody, I hate it when people do that. o Bangladesh this and Zimbabwe that, face it they are test nations or were so include them in the stats.

not talking to you mario about Bangladesh or Zimbabwe just in general.
It's because the numbers are increasingly biased towards sides and players that play those teams more. We know those two teams are a long way behind the pack. What is the point of measuring Test statistics if the calibre is so frequently below first class quality? The whole point of Test cricket is a differentiation from first class cricket, the best of the best. A detailed analysis should ignore irrelevant statistics and by all accounts, Bangladesh is looking pretty irrelevant.

Take a list of all players averaging 50+ in last 48 months (min. 20 innings)
Michael Hussey
Ponting
Mohammad Yousuf
Sangakkara
Chanderpaul
Younus Khan
Kallis
Mahela Jayawardene
Lara
Sehwag
Pietersen

Out of these 11, 5 have not played any Tests against Bangladesh or Zimbabwe, while two have played 7 and this is off a four year scale, where every team should have played Bangladesh by now. Teams are increasingly resting key players, but it is not universal. The more games played, the more likely a player
will produce stat-paddingly huge figures.

but is it the players fault that they are playing Bangladesh or Zimbabwe. They don't decide who they get to play they just go out there and do the thing they would usually do against any other country.

You don't see NBAs worst teams being excluded when a players PPG is being shown. I know basketball is way different than cricket but to me it just seems pointless to leave stats out.

but is it the players fault that they are playing Bangladesh or Zimbabwe. They don't decide who they get to play they just go out there and do the thing they would usually do against any other country.

You don't see NBAs worst teams being excluded when a players PPG is being shown. I know basketball is way different than cricket but to me it just seems pointless to leave stats out.

Fair point. Never thought of that.

The worst basketball team is not as much worse as the best team as it is with cricket. You will notice that even the worst teams manage to rack up at least 20 wins in a season of 82 games. Bangladesh, on the other hand, does not win 1 in every 4 games.

Also, with lesser NBA teams you tend to see a more balanced distribution of scoring for the opposition since even the semi-mediocre offensive players have a better chance of getting points.

Pup you tank! 57 against the top 4 teams!

btw zMario I'm liking this thread. Sachin hasn't been all that good since 2003, ecspecially against the top 4 teams. I cant believe Indians wont even concede this though :rolleyes:

Tendulkar is still miles ahead of Inzamam under any period of time.

Inzamam played 27 tests combind against South Africa & Australia and only scored 1 hundred.

LOL

Pup you tank! 57 against the top 4 teams!

btw zMario I'm liking this thread. Sachin hasn't been all that good since 2003, ecspecially against the top 4 teams. I cant believe Indians wont even concede this though :rolleyes:

Why don't you look thru the whole thread first and read the indian responses? Every Indian fans know, Sachin struggled greatly throughout 2005-2006, and hence he's not one of the best batsmen in the last 5 years. Simple as that.

Why don't you look thru the whole thread first and read the indian responses? Every Indian fans know, Sachin struggled greatly throughout 2005-2006, and hence he's not one of the best batsmen in the last 5 years. Simple as that.
Exactly, he's not even close to the best batsmen in the last 5 years in test match cricket :)

And he's not getting any closer, averaging 15.83 this season

Oh, and Sachin actually struggled for 3 seasons (2005/06 - 2007)

Equates to about a year and a half, thats part of his career though. If you want to take the part of batsmen's careers where they struggled, we could do that with every batsman, and they'd probably have huge averages.. well and truly above 60 (for the top-class players like Dravid)

Aye! Mohammad Yousuf? He's palyed really well in 2006, but he's not been THAT BAD over the past years..:)..:D..

Last edited:
Aye! Mohammad Yousuf? He's palyed really well in 2006, but he's not been THAT BAD over the past years..:)..:D..
I'm not sure if thats suppoused to provoke a response out of me, but if it is, then guess what.

Yousuf's averaged 45.57 vs the top 4 test teams since 2003, and 63.29 since 2003 (vs all teams)

Not sure what you're trying to prove, but I'm not a big fan of Yousuf. His technique and elegance is possibly the best in the world, but his performances have sometimes come in the "Sachin Tendulkar" mold if one gets what I mean ;)

Users who are viewing this thread