The best batsmen over the last 5 years in test match cricket

Sorry but it's true that Punter has his own class and Bradman can't beat it and even Bradman has his own class which Punter can't beat

I know I didn't say that, but I will have to say that Ponting isn't a good person to compare with Sachin (in simpler terms, Sachin has shown more sportsmanship than Ponting)
Why's that? Ponting's a contemporary and a comparable, if not superior batsman. If you're going to be comparing people's sportsmanship you have to compare them to their contemporaries and their equals.

How am I suppoused to know why Sachin didn't get fined? Maybe he didn't get fined because the last time he got fined (for excessive appealing) and a suspension for ball tampering, the Indian media, fans, and parliament threw a huge fit although TV cameras clearly captured Sachin ball tampering.

Me and you all saw what he did. Lets simply agree on this. He should not AT ALL have done it, the end.
Maybe you forgot the reason that huge fit was thrown--Mike Denness. It's easy to ignore everything else that happened in that test match to further your argument but some simple digging up in Cricinfo (India to 'forget' Mike Denness affair and Ball tampering controversy aired in Indian parliament) shows that most of the furor was caused due to uneven and biased judging by Denness, who seemed on a mission to ban half the Indian team before the third test commenced. So that addresses the part of your argument with the media and fans reacting.

As for the ball tampering issue, if you think any player would be fool enough to pick the seam of the ball in broad daylight, then so be it. Most players with intentions of tampering do it through extra tools in their pocket. But that notwithstanding, I couldn't find evidence of whether Tendulkar's ban and fine were lifted, so if you want to get me a few articles based on that, feel free to.

Well, it was the most recent series, so I was under the impression that we would all remember it (and therefore it was a decent-enough example to use)

Of course, the bat pointing should have had nothing to do with the appeal system
Well I argue that your lack of examples is what is pointing you to throw in examples from only this series. I also argue that your recently developed hatred for Tendulkar has formed this theory in your head, and you are now trying to hunt for evidence to justify your theory, instead of building your theory based on available evidence.

Well I didn't provide the footage at the time, although I could, but since YouTube videos are banned... :p
Wrong. I have watched the videos on YouTube, and even the videos you put forth, and I can make the statement that there was no "waving of bat" in any of the videos you put forth, nor in any I saw on YouTube. It was a moment of hallucination on your part, it seems.

I hate to bring this back up, but BALL TAMPERING IS NOT SPORTING.

And this is different from the Oval Scenario. There was TV proof that he tampered with the ball, got a 1 test ban. If Indian Parliament, Media, and Fans could accept that he tampered, then possibly he would have served his punishment.
I have addressed all these points already.

What reasons have you given sohum, of Sachin being a sportsman? Please, let's hear them. I haven't seen them, but it is very possible I have missed them. Exactly what has Sachin done to qualify him as a sportsman, like Gilchrist, or Lara.
Sachin has never been one to "mentally destroy" the opposition, whether on the field or on paper. You will never see Sachin making pre-series predictions about his opponent's weaknesses, or see him sledging the opponents continuously. On the field, he pretty much lets his bat do the talking.

I'm not sure if I had put the right video, but I'll describe it.
I've described all your videos in my post, as well.

It was Prasad v Tendulkar, hits Tendulkar on the back leg. He points / waves his bat at umpire, given out anyway (I guess this umpire decided not to believe Tendulkar or w/e). Tendulkar calls for referral, decision of umpire is upheld.
There was no evidence of "points/waves his bat at umpire". If he had done it ostentatiously at all, rather than from momentum, it would have been clearly obvious. This is the part I argue that you are making up. Besides, do you think he is so stupid as to waste a referral if he thinks he didn't hit it?

Now here's another one. Murali v Tendulkar. Tendulkar sweeps the ball, the ball hits the back of the bat, Jayawardene takes an excellent catch. Given not out by the umpire because he couldn't see the back of the bat. Tendulkar stands there (doesn't point his bat at this occasion), Jayawardene refers it.
Adam Gilchrist is the only batsman in world cricket to consistently walk. MS Dhoni followed along the same routes but I seem to remember a case recently when he didn't walk. I can assure you that almost all other batsmen agree with the "it all evens out theory".

And replays show, and as Tendulkar should have known (if you've ever played leather ball cricket) that the ball had hit the bat. No question of a bat-pad or pad-bat issue there, which I completely agree with you, is a difficult decision to make for even the player.
Did you read the above? Calling Sachin out on not being a sportsman because he doesn't walk is ridiculous and delusional. Less than 1% of cricketers walk, so you might as well say that there are no sportsmen in cricket. Even when it was a "gentleman's game" people didn't walk.

Which you won't ever be seeing till either an exception is made, or the rules are changed.
You don't get it, do you? I did not see any "waving the bat around" even in the footage you provided, regardless of the rules.

Just because others do it, doesn't mean Sachin should, now does it? Did Gilchrist ever do it? Nope. Did Lara ever do it? Nope. Did Jayawardene ever do it? Nope (well to my knowledge anyway)

You get the point. Those that are considered sportsman don't do it.
I argue that anyone other than Gilchrist walked consistently. Are you going to say that Gilchrist is the only sportsman in the game of cricket? Read my comments a couple of lines up.

Now let me make one thing clear. I'm not singling Tendulkar out at all. The reason we're here is the comment made that Tendulkar is a sportsman.
You are singling Tendulkar out. It is obvious to everyone on PC that you will single Tendulkar out on almost any issue that comes up. So don't even pretend that you don't have an agenda against him.

That's all the time I have for now, because I have to go to class. But your whole discussion of the media is irrelevant to me since I hardly look at the media when drawing my own conclusions. I don't think Tendulkar is a god, contrary to your opinion. So that whole discussion falls flat on its face.

I believe I have provided sufficient evidence to counter all your claims. If you think I haven't, just read over my posts again--since it's obvious that you don't really read them to understand them in the first place. So do that.

sohummisra added 0 Minutes and 27 Seconds later...

Oh yeh, I'm sorry, I forgot you know everything.
That's okay, with time it'll be easy to remember.

Ponting often looks like he is in such good form he will never get out, but this is usually only in Australia where conditions (hot dry weather and flat pitches) favour the home batsmen. He does score his runs quickly so I rate him more highly than Dravid or Kallis for that reason.

I know statistics don't tell the full story of a batsman's greatness, but I wonder what Ponting's average outside Australia is if you ignore the runs he scored on the last two tours to the West Indies, seeing as these days they are just minnows who pull off an upset once a year (if they are lucky).

Brian Lara is still the best batsman I've seen, he often got out cheaply, but once he got going he was unstoppable, and by far the best batsman to watch for the range and style of his strokeplay.

Apart from Tendulkar's form in 2003 he has never got anywhere near the peak he reached back in 98 so I don't rate him as highly as I once did.

Not sure about Mohammad Yousuf or Younis Khan, haven't seen enough of them to comment, but they are talented and score at a decent rate.

Michael Hussey is just showing the benefit of having been picked at the age when a batsman reaches peak form, and his form outside of Australia and Bangladesh is not that impressive at this stage, and a bumper tour on flat Indian pitches will not impress me either. I'll wait and see how Hussey does on the tours of South Africa and England next year before I pass judgement on his "greatness".

Hayden has a pretty poor record on the seaming pitches of South Africa and England, and has even had his worries in New Zealand, so I don't think he is as great as his average suggests. His average in England is boosted by a couple of good innings at The Oval, which is the flattest pitch in England...Surrey and Lancashire racked up totals of 863 and 707 in a county match against eachother there back in 1990, Ramprakash averaged over 100 there recently, and even Jason Gillespie has scored a ton there.

Last edited:
Thanks Blady but yeah All time best is Punter

You've got a lot of guts saying that, being Indian :clap :p, all time best is hard to judge. Ponting still has time left in him, whether he will use it well or not is another question.

Punter knows how to do it and I am sure that he would be named equal to Bradman one day

Punter knows how to do it and I am sure that he would be named equal to Bradman one day

I don't think even in his dreams he could come close to Bradman. He is the greatest and most respected cricket to ever play the game. I'm sure Ponting will make a huge name for himself, but getting it remembered like Bradman's, is something else

Best batsman proved today he can play in India. Finally I can admit :hpraise

But not to the extent as Bradman,I've met someone who didn't even know exactly what cricket was but he knew about Bradman,That shows you how much he is honoured.

Users who are viewing this thread