The best batsmen over the last 5 years in test match cricket

How is it a lame excuse? I posted the URLs, the post was deleted. Nothing I can do about that, so please stop looking foolish.

Besides, I don't plan to install Yahoo Messenger to engage in your foolish talk about how Sachin is a sportsman. A simple YouTube search would solve that.

Here is even more clinical proof. Me and Themer have been at each others throats on the security issue, but even he agrees with me. And he's a neutral ;)
Still no straight answer to these questions?

Please tell Sachin to stop shaking his head as he walks off when he is given out when he clearly edged the ball.

How do you expect someone to express their disappointment on themselves after getting out?

Quote:
Please tell Sachin to stop waving his arms frantically to the players from the dressing room when a decision is not in their favor.

He did not question a correct decision. Just something that was a bad decision.

Quote:
Please tell Sachin to stop pointing his bat to the umpires when he clearly did not nick the ball. Please tell Sachin to stop waving his arms frantically to the players from the dressing room when a decision is not in their favor. Please tell Sachin to stop shaking his head as he walks off when he is given out when he clearly edged the ball. Please tell Sachin to stop trying to convince himself and his fans he did not hit the ball when he clearly did.

Only then, can one consider himself as a sportsman.

4 mistakes in a 20 year long career(Most of them without proof)? Look at Miandad. Look at Aamir Sohail, Ponting etc. There are people who are worse than him.

I feel like any further discussion of this topic can take place over MSN/PM. Especially if you want to get in to YouTube discussions and the like (although if it's YouTube keep in mind that you cannot use PC resources, including PMs, to divulge this information). Basically, how "sportsmanlike" a batsman is doesn't have to do with how good a batsman he has been.

I feel like any further discussion of this topic can take place over MSN/PM. Especially if you want to get in to YouTube discussions and the like (although if it's YouTube keep in mind that you cannot use PC resources, including PMs, to divulge this information). Basically, how "sportsmanlike" a batsman is doesn't have to do with how good a batsman he has been.
And in the last 5 years, he has been absolute shite compared with the other players...

And now, to answer your questions:

I expect a batsman to honorably walk off, when he's out. I don't mind them hitting the ground with their bat, if they feel they could have done a better job. I don't have a problem with actually anything he does, until he starts looking at the umpire and walking off (shaking his head at the umpire)

Now thats where I have a problem.

Secondly, what do you mean he did not question a correct decision? I 100% agree the decision was incorrect, but there is NO NEED for that.

Also, you say 4 mistakes in a 20 year long career? There's many more. Unfortunately, if I will give you examples, you will turn around and say that there's no proof.

Simply said, this thread is about the best batsmen over the last 5 years. Sachin is not even close to fitting in that category, nor is he a sportsman (as of late)

Now thats all I'm going to say about that in public. If you feel that you wish for this discussion to continue, then please PM me, and I can also e-mail you the relevant YouTube URLs if you do not believe me.

How does sportsmanship relate to a players batting ability though? You could be the worst sportsman there is, but still be the best batsman!

You must really not enjoy cricket then... not everyone is Gilly.
Are you to judge whether I enjoy cricket or not?

Let's look at this thread in perspective now.

Last 5 years. Tendulkar is shite.

Most of his achievements have been whining, trying to fool the umpire, etc.

Also Stevo, it has nothing to do with his batting ability. The fact being that in the last 5 years, Tendulkar's batting ability has been absolute bollocks when compared to the others. Now combine that with his "antics", and really, I don't want to see his face on a cricket field until he is ready to accept his mistakes (stop pointing his bat to the umpire when there was clearly no edge, etc.) and come back into the game a better player.

Cricket was once (and should be) a "gentlemen's game"

Tendulkar does not represent that. Also, just looking back, this discussion has come after somebody's comment that Tendulkar is a "sportsman". I didn't bring this up, but somebody else chose to.

Are you to judge whether I enjoy cricket or not?
Name me one other batsman who consistently walks. If you base all cricketers on that moral denominator, then you cannot possibly enjoy cricket since < 1% of cricketers follow that conduct.

As for Sachin, he's always been and always will be a great sportsman. A few partial examples here and there don't change anything (and yes, I am saying that your examples were partial--in fact they didn't even support your argument in many cases).

Name me one other batsman who consistently walks. If you base all cricketers on that moral denominator, then you cannot possibly enjoy cricket since < 1% of cricketers follow that conduct.

As for Sachin, he's always been and always will be a great sportsman. A few partial examples here and there don't change anything (and yes, I am saying that your examples were partial--in fact they didn't even support your argument in many cases).
Brian Lara.

I don't ask batsmen to walk.

Here's what I expect. A batsman nicks the ball, he stands, waits for the umpire's decision, he gives him out, he walks off without making a huge fuss and glaring at the umpire and the bowler as if they're trying to cheat him.

Now I have a problem when batsmen try to fool the umpire, which is part of argument here on the sportsmanship issue. Fooling the umpire and putting him under more pressure to determine whether Tendulkar (a man who has scored many runs) is telling the truth or falsifying information (yet again)

How is it a partial example sohum? It's nearly impossible to show, unless you know exactly what I'm talking about. Tell me, how the hell is jumping up and down and showing his index finger to the players / umpires on the field sporting?

That is completely unnecessary, and can only put the game into disrepute.

This is the only sport known as a gentlemen's game. Let's try to keep it that way.

Here's what I expect. A batsman nicks the ball, he stands, waits for the umpire's decision, he gives him out, he walks off without making a huge fuss and glaring at the umpire and the bowler as if they're trying to cheat him.
If that is what he did, I can assure you that he would have been fined, as players of all reputations have been fined when showing dissent at an umpire's decision. Hence, it is pretty obvious to me that you are seeing what you want to believe, and not what has actually occurred.

How is it a partial example sohum? It's nearly impossible to show, unless you know exactly what I'm talking about. Tell me, how the hell is jumping up and down and showing his index finger to the players / umpires on the field sporting?
It's a partial example because it doesn't really make sense. In all the examples you put forth, the third umpire was being used. Hence, it really wasn't a case of putting anyone under pressure. The third umpire has access to video footage and if the video footage isn't enough for the decision, then the batsman should be out.

Also, the "showing his index finger" happened after the decision was made, so again, there was no pressure on the umpire to make a certain decision. Sure, it didn't leave the best taste in my mouth. But if you're going to put his whole career into disrepute based on that single incident, then you're being quite unfair to him.

This is the only sport known as a gentlemen's game. Let's try to keep it that way.
Another thing you will notice is that all the examples you quoted were from one series. Guess what was also different about that one series? The third-umpire referrals... It's definitely something new that all the players are dealing with, and perhaps Tendulkar didn't deal with it as well as his peers. But again, shrouding his whole career in controversy over his actions in one series is simply irresponsible.

Damn it actually hurts me, but I agree with zMario on the Sachin stuff. Indians have blown Sachin completely out of proportion. Yes he is a terrific batsmen and makes it into any World XI side, but the way he is treated like some sort of deity is rather silly. I would also say, Lara, KP and Ponting are all much better than him

If that is what he did, I can assure you that he would have been fined, as players of all reputations have been fined when showing dissent at an umpire's decision. Hence, it is pretty obvious to me that you are seeing what you want to believe, and not what has actually occurred.

What the hell? You deleted the dang youtube videos, go watch them. How the hell are you denying something on TV?! You still have access to them, and yet you're denying it even happened?!!

Blind worship at its best!

It's a partial example because it doesn't really make sense. In all the examples you put forth, the third umpire was being used. Hence, it really wasn't a case of putting anyone under pressure. The third umpire has access to video footage and if the video footage isn't enough for the decision, then the batsman should be out.

Actually Sachin pointing his bat to the umpire is something that I've seen since 2005. You're making assumptions on your part that I'm only referring to the India-Sri Lankan series which isn't true at all... Yes, he did it there, but he's done it in so many other games after 2005

And I'm not sure what doesn't make sense. What do you mean if the video footage isn't enough for the decision, the batsman should be out? If a player is given not out, and there isn't enough conclusive evidence to give him out, then he's not out. Not sure what world you're living in..

The fact is, he should not have behaved like an immature child in that particular incident.

Also, the "showing his index finger" happened after the decision was made, so again, there was no pressure on the umpire to make a certain decision. Sure, it didn't leave the best taste in my mouth. But if you're going to put his whole career into disrepute based on that single incident, then you're being quite unfair to him.

His whole career isn't into any disrepute. He's going to have nearly the entire population of India saying he's the greatest sportsman to have ever lived (that is a bit extreme, but you get the idea).

However, one's credibility can be doubted with such incidents. This isn't just one incident, sohum. There is no room in this sport for people who try to change the umpire's decision by waving their bat at them when they clearly did not edge it.

Thats where the umpire's job becomes more difficult. #1 - he has to decide whether the batsman is out or not, and #2, the umpire begins to doubt what they saw, and might make a different decision than the one they would have had Sachin (or any other batsman) just stood there, and waited for the decision like they are suppoused to.

Another thing you will notice is that all the examples you quoted were from one series. Guess what was also different about that one series? The third-umpire referrals... It's definitely something new that all the players are dealing with, and perhaps Tendulkar didn't deal with it as well as his peers. But again, shrouding his whole career in controversy over his actions in one series is simply irresponsible.

Yes, the specific examples are from one series. Do you want some incidents from 2005 to present time? I'll give them to you, if you seriously want them.

Also, I don't see how the third umpire referrals have ANYTHING to do with Sachin trying to fool the umpire on field. If Sachin is so sure that he's not out, and he's given, then he stands there, lets the umpire make the decision, and then hold up a T.

NOT show his bat to the umpire and make the umpire doubt his own instincts / eyesight.

Replies in bold.

Boring.

Cricket was a gentleman's game. Let's keep it that way.:D

Last 5 years, Sachin has definitely not been the best, but has most certainly not been "shite". Infact I think he has mainly been injured, which again is a very common excuse to justify some of India's losses.

Damn it actually hurts me, but I agree with zMario on the Sachin stuff. Indians have blown Sachin completely out of proportion. Yes he is a terrific batsmen and makes it into any World XI side, but the way he is treated like some sort of deity is rather silly. I would also say, Lara, KP and Ponting are all much better than him
You think Ponting exhibits better sportsmanship than Sachin?

sohummisra added 27 Minutes and 9 Seconds later...

What the hell? You deleted the dang youtube videos, go watch them. How the hell are you denying something on TV?! You still have access to them, and yet you're denying it even happened?!!

Blind worship at its best!
The very reason this discussion is even continuing is because I did see them. Besides, your response has nothing to do with what I said. What part of my comment are you responding to? This is what I said: "If that is what he did, I can assure you that he would have been fined, as players of all reputations have been fined when showing dissent at an umpire's decision. Hence, it is pretty obvious to me that you are seeing what you want to believe, and not what has actually occurred." Are you arguing that players have not been fined at showing dissent at an umpire's decision? If Sachin was indeed showing dissent, then I argue that he would definitely have been fined. And hence my conclusion follows. In the future, why don't you actually read what you're responding to.

Actually Sachin pointing his bat to the umpire is something that I've seen since 2005. You're making assumptions on your part that I'm only referring to the India-Sri Lankan series which isn't true at all... Yes, he did it there, but he's done it in so many other games after 2005
I'm not the one making assumptions. You're the one who has only brought up examples from this series. I'm only drawing conclusions based on what has been presented to me.

And I'm not sure what doesn't make sense. What do you mean if the video footage isn't enough for the decision, the batsman should be out? If a player is given not out, and there isn't enough conclusive evidence to give him out, then he's not out. Not sure what world you're living in..
What I meant to say is that the third umpire is under no pressure since they can only make a decision based on the video footage. It's not a case of having to make a split-second decision.

The fact is, he should not have behaved like an immature child in that particular incident.
Which one? The "showing his index finger" from the dressing room incident? I agree that he probably shouldn't have done that but that is hardly enough evidence to tarnish his whole reputation. Or the "pointing at his bat" which I was unable to see from any footage your provided.

His whole career isn't into any disrepute. He's going to have nearly the entire population of India saying he's the greatest sportsman to have ever lived (that is a bit extreme, but you get the idea).
You're the one with a one-item agenda to prove that Sachin is a poor sportsman. So if people were to believe you, then it would indeed disrepute his career. There are solid reasons why Sachin will be hailed as a great, both on and off the field--reasons that you have continued to ignore and hence there is no point in reiterating them.

However, one's credibility can be doubted with such incidents. This isn't just one incident, sohum. There is no room in this sport for people who try to change the umpire's decision by waving their bat at them when they clearly did not edge it.
There was no "clearly did not edge it" kind of thing happening. If you happened to see the replay, it was a pad-bad vs. bat-pad issue. I'm not sure if you've every played leather-ball cricket, but it is quite easy to mistake the order in which one happens, especially if your bat also hits the ground around the same time. And your whole "change the umpire's decision by waving their bat at them" is meaningless, since it got referred to the 3rd umpire anyway, so there was no real issue of the batsman's opinion getting in the way of the decision-making.

Thats where the umpire's job becomes more difficult. #1 - he has to decide whether the batsman is out or not, and #2, the umpire begins to doubt what they saw, and might make a different decision than the one they would have had Sachin (or any other batsman) just stood there, and waited for the decision like they are suppoused to.
Sure, "waving the bat around" (which I'm still to see) is going to hurt the umpire's decision-making skills, but I think umpires are above that. Batsmen all around the world have pointed at their bats in close calls. In fact, that is one of the surest events preceding an event where the batsman shows dissent to the umpires decision. It's not as if Sachin is the only player to do this, and hence it is just on to single him out.

Yes, the specific examples are from one series. Do you want some incidents from 2005 to present time? I'll give them to you, if you seriously want them.
Sure, and while you're at it, why don't you compare his behavior to his contemporaries. Because there is no point in measuring something if you don't have any idea as to the semantic meaning of the values you measure.

Also, I don't see how the third umpire referrals have ANYTHING to do with Sachin trying to fool the umpire on field. If Sachin is so sure that he's not out, and he's given, then he stands there, lets the umpire make the decision, and then hold up a T.
Sachin was not trying to "fool" the umpire on field. Let's analyze the three examples you provided by that criteria:

(1) Sachin shows the "index finger" from the dressing room after the decision has been made by the third umpire.

First analysis is that it has nothing to do with the on-field umpire. Second analysis is that it is irrelevant in any way to any on-field decision-making since the umpire is not going to turn around and look at Sachin in the dressing room before giving someone out.

(2) Sachin sweeps, edges and waits for the umpire to make the decision. As it happens, Jayawardene asks for the referral and he is found to have edged it.

This is the case of the batsman simply holding his ground. Tendulkar has not made any motions as to whether he had hit the ball or not. Hence, he was not "fooling the on-field umpire". In fact, in the days without referral technology, this used to happen 3-4 times a day, especially in the subcontinent with bat-pad catches. If anything, this example destroys your argument of fooling the umpire since Tendulkar did not attempt to divulge any extra information to the umpire.

(3) Sachin plays the ball, and is adjudged to be out LBW. He believes he nicked the ball before it hit his pad (compared to what actually happened--it was pad-bat) and hence asks for the referral, which is turned down.

Again, there is no attempt to fool the on-field umpire. If there were no referrals, we would not be having this discussion, since Sachin would be walking off, since you cannot overturn the umpire's decision. If Sachin had shown dissent, he would have been fined, as well.

In summary, your whole argument holds no water from the "fooling the on-field umpire" point of view. The only part I can agree with you is that he shouldn't have been divulging his point of view from the dressing room on Sehwag's dismissal. Apart from that, all I can see is a bit of intense cricket. I've seen far worse examples of batsmen pointing at their bat than what happened in this series.

One final example to show why you've got it all wrong. If indeed Sachin had done all these things as you see them through your eyes, this series would have been quite controversial. In at least one case, Sachin would have been fined because he would be overruling the authority of the umpires. As it happened, this series was relatively straightforward from a controversy point of view, and hence that proves once and for all that your argument is unproven.

NOT show his bat to the umpire and make the umpire doubt his own instincts / eyesight.
Argument proved wrong in all aspects.

Also, in the future, please don't do the "replies in bold" nonsense. It is so much harder to quote and decimate each one of your points.

Users who are viewing this thread