The Best Leg Spinner Ever-Subhash Gupte

Status
Not open for further replies.
siddharth2002 said:
Laul we probably don't need thread on someone who is so old. we here at PC are young guns who'd like to discuss how good is Kaneria or Harbhajan but not some old Subhash Gupte about whom even "Sehwag":p wouldn't know. Hell, I just come to know about him.

Mate, we all need to know the cricket history and coming from some one liuke gary sobers should be treated with some seriousness.at that time he was bowling to vivian richards ,shewag is nothing against him

siddharth2002 said:
Laul we probably don't need thread on someone who is so old. we here at PC are young guns who'd like to discuss how good is Kaneria or Harbhajan but not some old Subhash Gupte about whom even "Sehwag":p wouldn't know. Hell, I just come to know about him.

Oh come on yaar! So homage to our cricketing historical figures wont do any harm! Its not going to cost more than just a few kb's of space on PC!

Well I havent seen Subhash Gupte! But its a matter of pride that a legendary all rounder holds an Indian leggie as his greatest!

No disrespect to Subhash Gupte,he was a very good spinner but Gary Sobers is being idiot calling him better than Shane Warne,Richie Benaud etc who played on pitches which have absolutely nothing for the spinners & yet managed to conquer the world & with their superb bowling as compared to people like Gupte,Abdul Qadir,Saqlain,Chandershekhar,Bedi,Mushtaq Ahmed ,Kumble etc who playerd most of their games on wickets which are almost always extremly supportive to spin bowling.Thtas the reason why I rate non-subcontinent spinners as better than those from subcontinent barring Muralitharan(because of his superb bowling despite all the conspiracies & crtricism against his action).

Last edited:
Shoaib87 said:
No disrespect to Subhash Gupte,he was a very good spinner but Gary Sobers is being idiot calling him better than Shane Warne,Richie Benaud etc who played on pitches which have absolutely nothing for the spinners & yet managed to conquer the world & with their superb bowling as compared to people like Gupte,Abdul Qadir,Saqlain,Chandershekhar,Bedi,Mushtaq Ahmed ,Kumble etc who playerd most of their games on wickets which are almost always extremly supportive to spin bowling.Thtas the reason why I rate non-subcontinent spinners as better than those from subcontinent barring Muralitharan(because of his superb bowling despite all the conspiracies & crtricism against his action).

Our opinion doesn't matter that much, what we think.... :rolleyes: :D

It is a honour indeed, when the greatest allrounder says that this particular bowler is the greatest spinner. Now he has his opinions. I have mine. YOu have yours.
The bottom line is, we have to respect each other's opinion.

If you call Sobers an idiot, imagine what others will call you! :cool:

I haven't seen a better "leg-spinner" than Shane Warne. His stats mean that he is the greatest ever to play the game.

This thread wlil endup like many others...but hey! good article, and I agree with Sobers' initial statement...The vintage WI team is invincible. All 11 players could turn the match on their own.

No one is undervaluing the greatness of Warnie or Benaud. But Sobers has his own opinion and its a honour that he, being a great all rounder has such high praise for an Indian leg spinner.

I dont want to get into who is the best leg spinner of alltime. its tough to compare spinners of different generations!

The best leg spinner of all time is me :D

No really, I would say the best ever was Warne. Gupte sounds like a decent spinner, but Warne pretty much single handedly brought spin back to the forefront of cricket.

Never seen him bowl. But Warne is considered by soo many as the best.

Another reason why warne is considered the best - he has inspired countless people to become legspinners. The word legspin is almost synonymous with Shane Warne.

Shoaib87 said:

If that would have been the case SHane Warne would have won Australia series wins in India .Thats not the case is it dude ???

Oh Gary Sobers, you crack me up.

"I never saw Bradman's teams play but you don't even have to go back that far," Sobers said. "I don't think they would have even won a single Test against Clive Lloyd's team, to tell you the truth. Look at how the Aussies struggled against Steve Harmison in England. What would they have done against an attack with Michael Holding, Joel Garner, Colin Croft, Andy Roberts, Malcolm Marshall?

A) Bradmans team would've challenged and possibly beaten Clive Lloyds team, would be thrilling to watch.
B) What on GODS GREEN EARTH does the last Ashes series have to do with Don Bradmans team and Clive Lloyds team?
C) We struggled against Harmison? It was Flintoff and Jones who killed us.
D) Just what has Sobers been smoking?

Yeah, there's definitely some patriotic blinkers as far as WI cricket goes. I remember Viv Richards saying recently that if he could have taken any world player from the period of his WI team to improve it in any position he wouldn't because his XI were the best in the world individually and as a team...

Its clear what I am going to say. Warne is the best that there has ever been. When legends are spoke of Warne's name always pops up. When dream 11s are name his name is there again. Today is the first time I have heard Subhash Gupte which shows he clearly isn't a legend of the game. Great Indian spinner probably but no legend.

I think some of you guys need to read up on your history. Just because you've never heard of somebody does not automatically make them worse. I bet most of you haven't heard of Harold Gimblett, but does that mean that someone like Michael Di Venuto is a better batsman? Of course not. Some of you are so blinkered to think that the best players ever are around today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread