The Best Leg Spinner Ever-Subhash Gupte

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most of us Indians who've talked to our fathers know about Gupte and Chandrasekhar. I think that Chandra is the greatest though of Indian spinners and probably one of the greatest leg spinners of all time.

Warne is right up there as well.

You can never compare two generations of cricket - played under different conditions, at a different pace and with different priorities. Today Cricket is a much more physical game than the days gone by and the pace at which it is played is also much quicker. You only have to go back to old videos (70s-80s) to know the difference...

Also when some people say "I've never seen him bowl" how can you say that Sir Don Bradman was the greatest batsman when you haven't seen him either? Yet most of us parrot this phrase because his name is more in circulation than others Is it because most cricket pundits say so?

Let's face it. Most of our opinions are driven by the media, especially about things we haven't seen or heard for ourselves.

MUFC1987 said:
So you're suggesting that Cricket has only been around for 60 years? You make me laugh, you know absolutely nothing. :rolleyes:

No, hes suggesting some people who watch cricket today have been doing so for 60 years. Cricket originated in the Middle Ages, but how many people who watched it then are still watching today?

answer: none

Let's face it. Most of our opinions are driven by the media, especially about things we haven't seen or heard for ourselves.

People are always gonna be biased for their own reasons. Its all opinion. a statistican might argue one spinner was better looking at his stats, but is that a good measure of how good they were? Also, I think every great spinners were the best in their own way. Chrandrasekhar was best at frightening the batsman in a way pace bowlers do, Warne was a master of variation, etc the list could go on...

MUFC1987 said:
So you're suggesting that Cricket has only been around for 60 years? You make me laugh, you know absolutely nothing. :rolleyes:

Where did I say cricket has been around for only 60 years. Read properly before making a stupid statement. I was saying these dream teams were picked by guys who have been watching cricket for over 60 years. How many have you been watching it for? I can bet it wouldn't even be near half of what guys like Richie Benuad and co have been. Who would most cricket fans listen to you or Richie Benuad?

Obviously there was cricket before his time but you can't have guys with 100 years of watching the game.

Laxman Sivaramakrishnan....
well he was good though not the best.
Its a tough question to rate the best but i'd go in for richie benaud

aussie1st said:
Where did I say cricket has been around for only 60 years. Read properly before making a stupid statement. I was saying these dream teams were picked by guys who have been watching cricket for over 60 years. How many have you been watching it for? I can bet it wouldn't even be near half of what guys like Richie Benuad and co have been. Who would most cricket fans listen to you or Richie Benuad?

Obviously there was cricket before his time but you can't have guys with 100 years of watching the game.
First things first, I'd appreciate it if you read my first post correctly, at no point did I state that I knew more than anybody. Neither did I state who was 'the best'. I'm asking how even people who have been watching cricket for 60 years can state who is the best? The answer is they can't, as they have not seen every single player. Please read my posts in the future, it would save me from having to treat you like a child.

Ah for gods sake just leave each other alone, everyone has a right to their own opinion. I don't give a damn what everyone else says but I think that the best legspinner is Warne.
Also, about thinking someone is better than someone you've never heard of, how do you know if the someone youve never heard of is better? Look at his stats? The point aussie1st was making was that people who have been watching cricket for 60 years has seen all these players in action, and would be better judged to compare them.

MUFC I think its a bit hypocritical to tell aussie1st to read your posts properly when

MUFC1987 said:
So you're suggesting that Cricket has only been around for 60 years? You make me laugh, you know absolutely nothing.

Just leave it now, its going too far.

embi said:
MUFC I think its a bit hypocritical to tell aussie1st to read your posts properly when
*Groan* His response was that people who have been watching cricket for 60 years somehow knew who the best player ever was. I questioned this. You seem intelligent enough, surely you read this in my post?

MUFC1987 said:
First things first, I'd appreciate it if you read my first post correctly, at no point did I state that I knew more than anybody. Neither did I state who was 'the best'. I'm asking how even people who have been watching cricket for 60 years can state who is the best? The answer is they can't, as they have not seen every single player. Please read my posts in the future, it would save me from having to treat you like a child.

First point where did I say you knew more than anybody? I said who would cricket fans listen to you or Richie Benuad. That statement is directed at the experience factor.
Second point you said "So you're suggesting that Cricket has only been around for 60 years?" You left it at this point hence the confusion over what you meant. If you had expanded on that and said what you said above then you would have made a good point.

Last edited:
Alright, we all misunderstood each other, to put it diplomatically :D . If we all agree everyone has their own opinion on who is the best legspinner then that would be good. Saying things like weve been saying is always a bit edgy in text, we dont know the real intentions of things. People misunderstand. end of story.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread