Story The Big Test - Eng vs S.AFR - An absolute THRILLER!! [BLIC]

chrisw2k5

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Any lovers, and indeed any sceptics o BLIC, or anyone intrested in cricket, Iwould like you to read this... The Big Test.

South Africa vs England ? 5-day test ? Oval ? Weather Variable ? Pitch Normal

I went into the test match hopeful. I was playing as England, and decided on playing South Africa. I am playing on County level, as I actually find it too easy to restrict the score when bowling on test level, and batting too hard.
The only change in the England line up from the recent Ashes match was the inclusion of Thorpe instead of Bell. The South African line up was to my knowledge that of the test series against England last year. The toss was won by South Africa, who chose to bat.

1st innings ? South Africa

In the opening session, Harmison bowled economically, whilst Flintoff was erratic to say the least, giving away 21 runs away in his first 4 overs. However, in his 5th, he claimed the wicket of Gibbs, caught in the slips by Tresco. Rain however meant the morning session was reduced to 11 overs, in which South Africa had made 34, for the loss of 1 wicket.
I opened the second session with Simon Jones and Hoggard, who after bowling 5 overs each, and not taking a wicket between them, I replaced with Giles and Harmison. Giles struck immediately, knocking out Graeme Smith?s leg stump with a quicker delivery. At the other end, Harmison was bowling well, but Kallis was keeping the score ticking over. With Giles keeping Klusener bogged down at one end, and Kallis scoring freely at the other, I tried everything at my disposal to get a break-through, but the session ended with SA on 85/2.
As Kallis became nervous, nearing his first milestone, I brought back Giles, but to no avail, as Kallis got his 50 (111 balls) and started scoring quickly again. But then Jones got the wicket of Klusener, who had been there for 104 balls, yet only scored 15. I brought back Harmison to try and get the new man out quickly, but he only bowled to Kallis, who by now was on 76. The score continued to grow, but in the last over of the day, Geraint Jones caught Rudolph off Flintoff. They finished the day on 170/4, having played 71 overs. I was trying everything to get Kallis before he reached his 100, even bringing Vaughan into the attack. Remarkably, only one 6 was hit against him in his first over (the first of the match) and he had a catch put down which would have sent Dippenaar on his way. Kallis got his 100 off Giles ( 206 Balls , 16 fours, 0 sixes) Meanwhile, Flintoff had turned round his early bad bowling, and was now on top form, forcing several misses from Dippenaar. However, the new ball was offered, and I knew I had to bowl my two fastest, Harmison and Jones. It worked, Harmison knocked out Dippenaar?s leg stump with a peach of a ball. And in his next over, he caught and bowled the new man Boucher. The sensational run continued, Harmison struck again in his next over, sending Pollock?s middle stump over the keeper. Just 3 balls later, an almost identical ball claimed the wicket of Hall, the last man who could bat. I thought Flintoff to be the best man to attempt to finish them off with Harmison. He dropped Boje off his second ball, and nothing else came off the over. This continued for a few overs, until I thought of trying spin against the tail-enders. I didn?t work, and I was starting to become frustrated again. Eventually, Hoggard captured Boje lbw, and Harmison rounded it up by bowling Ntini with a yorker. They had finished on 242, having collapsed from 170/4. Kallis had batted through from no.3, finishing with an unbeaten 125. Dippenaar and Gibbs had made fair contributions, with 29 and 18 respectively. On the bowling side of things, Harmison got 5-44, Flintoff 2-64 and Hoggard 1-23. The other two wickets fell to Giles and Jones.

1st Innings ? England

Pollock opens the bowling with the off spinner Boje, an odd choice in my opinion. I was proved wrong however, as he had Tresco caught behind with his second ball. Vaughan was next in, and the runs begin to flow, resembling a one-day match, mostly due to the attacking field choice of Smith. However, after only 3 over, alike to South Africa?s innings, the rain begins to fall. This being only the first session of the second day, I was not very concerned. However, play did not resume until the afternoon session of the third day. I was on 34 for 1, and knew that I only had till the end of the day batting if I had any hope of winning in time. Pollock continued to be smashed around, whilst Boje bowled economically. Pollock then got Strauss caught behind, off a no ball! However, Pollock did seem to be swinging the ball dangerously. Vaughan hit a six and two fours in a poor over by Boje, and after 10 overs, we had 90 on the board. The confidence of both batsmen dropped as they neared their fifties. Strauss got his with a stroked 4 (39 balls) but was nearly out lbw in the next over, which was bowled by Ntini. 2 balls later, he was out, caught and bowled. The next ball, Ntini got Thorpe lbw, he was on a hat trick. Pietersen blocked the predictable Yorker, and the double wicket maiden over finished. The next over, Vaughan completed his half-century (32 balls) Thankfully, the afternoon session ended, I was on 111/3.
Ntini continued, and Klusener replaced Boje at the other end. Both were bowling well, especially Ntini, who capture Kevin Pietersen, caught in the slips. Flintoff came to the crease, just in time to see Vaughan bowled off a no ball. He then got in on the action himself, smashing a six off another Klusener no ball. He even managed to hit Ntini for a four, but he could do nothing as Vaughan was caught behind, Ntini?s most important wicket yet. As a result of Klusener last wild over, Boje made a return, but as in his first spell, reaped no rewards for his good bowling. I decided to simply block out Ntini, and attack Boje. This policy worked, until Boje pulled out a brilliant ball to clean bowl Jones. Unlike South Africa, who could bat until number 8, Jones was the last of my batters, and I feared a collapse. A terrible accident with the triangle button caused the run out of Giles, and I was 185/7. 2 balls later, Boje bowled Jones, and I was in serious danger. Harmison blocked out the last 2 balls of Boje, and Flintoff faced Ntini. I decided that I would only run for two?s, and got a single off the last ball. Harmison hit an amazing 4 off Boje. A single off the last however left him to face Ntini. He survived, and Flintoff hooked the next ball for 6 to bring 200 up.
In the next over, having missed 3 balls in row, Harmison hit Boje for 6, and then a one bounce 4, followed by another 6. In the next over though, Flintoff went for another hook and was caught. The amazing slogging Harmison continued for one more six, but was then caught. I ended on 223, 9 behind South Africa.
The prime batting performance was Vaughan?s 69, closely followed by 51 from Strauss and a quick 41 by Flintoff. A special mention must also go to Harmison, who hit 29 off 21 balls. Two bowlers got all the wickets, Nitini, who took 6/43, and Boje, with 3/80.
TO BE CONTINUED? GAME IN PROGRESS!

why did you start a new thread on this. you opened a thread only just previously with the same content and pretty much the same title

no i just wanted to spread it far and wide. no I just saw that there was a seperate part for cricket game stories. The other one was just highlighting how much fun BLIC coulf be, this is a general story.

Anyway here's the next bit..

2nd Innings ? South Africa

Opening with Harmison and Flintoff, I wanted to get a wicket before the end of the day, so set an attacking field. However, in just the third over, bad light was offered to the batters, and they agreed.

I stuck with the opening bowlers in the morning, who both bowled economically. When a wicket didn?t come, I decided to see what Giles could do with the ever-increasing footmarks. The result was good, forcing several misses and miss-hits from both batsmen. It was Harmison who got the break through though, getting Smith caught behind. It was Kallis next in, and I was determined not to let him do what he did in the 1st innings. For now though it was Gibbs who was batting brilliantly. Giles had an lbw shout turned down, and Harmison grazed the stumps, but the batsmen were defending well.

The break-through came when Giles forced a miss-hit by Gibbs, which was caught by Harmison. I now had the upper hand, as South Africa were 40/2, with two fresh batsmen at the wicket. I tried out Jones instead of Harmison, and brought Hoggard into the attack as well. Both started with maidens, but in the following few overs, did not look like taking a wicket, so I brought Flintoff back, and gave Giles another go. Flintoff was swinging the ball greatly, and got the crucial wicket of Kallis, caught in the slips, with a demon out-swinger. The end of Flintoff?s wicket over signalled the end of the morning session, with South Africa on 70/3.

I kept Flintoff to open the Afternoon Session, along with Harmison. Flintoff got another wicket with the first ball of his over, that of Rudolph, for a duck. Dippenaar came to the crease, who had made a handy contribution in South Africa?s 1st innings. Nothing much happened over the next few overs. Flintoff continued to bowl brilliantly, but wickets were evading him, and I was forced to replace him with Giles, for another bowl at the footmarks. It worked, Giles got Dippenaar slogging, and he was caught by Strauss at backward point. The economical Hoggard replaced Harmison at the other end. There was not much action for a few overs, with trying to get Giles bowling to the left-hander, so as to utilise most of the footmarks. Eventually he got the chance, and on the second ball, an edge sent the ball to the 1st slip, Pietersen, and Klusener back to the pavilion.

In Hoggard?s next over, Boucher edged the ball over the slips twice in a row. As both the batsmen were now right-handed, I gave Giles a rest, replacing him with Jones. Boucher was attacking every ball, so I set him a couple of traps. They didn?t work however, and I soon saw that he was a quality batsman. Pollock was also playing superbly, and in no time they had a 50 partnership. I tried everything I had, but nothing came. Then I saw my chance as both batsmen neared their 50?s. I couldn?t get Pollock to make a mistake, and he calmly got his half-century (38 balls). Boucher however succumbed to the nerves, edging a beaut of an in-swinger by Hoggard, and was caught behind. The session and day 4 ended soon after.
With the arrival of the new ball the next morning I expected Harmison to round up the tail, but he only seemed to bowl to Pollock, and it was Hoggard who got first Hall (lbw) and then Boje (caught behind) This just left Ntini, who was quickly finished off by Flintoff.
The best batting performance had been by Pollock, 51, closely followed by Boucher, 48. Backing them up with a fair 30 was Gibbs.
Hoggard and Flintoff got 3 wickets each, for 37 and 42 runs respectively.

South Africa had scored 201, which left me needing 211 to win. I had thought that I was going to be racing against time on the final day to get the runs, but I had the remainder of the first session and the rest of the day.

2nd Innings ? England ? 211 to win

Strauss and Trescothick put on a good opening partnership until first Tresco (caught in the covers off Boje) and then Strauss fell (bowled Pollock) Vaughan came in and looked top notch, hitting both Pollock and Boje around the park. Then however Ntini came into the attack, and although he did not show the levels of bowling he had in the 1st innings, he did slow the score.

By his 4th over, Ntini was starting to look good, and had an edge go safe and an lbw shout turned down. Down the other end Boje was also bowling well, making the most of the many footmarks. However, the score ticked along, and after 20 overs I was on 106. It was looking good, but I knew how the tide could change so quickly. Within no time Vaughan was looking at another 50, but on 49, facing Boje, he missed two in a row and then scooped one into the bowlers hands. I needed 80 with 7 wickets left. It sounds easy
TO BE CONTINUED?

Users who are viewing this thread