The Book Thread

I soo want to read these books

The Secret History of the World: As Laid Down by the Secret Societies
Gnosis: The Secret of Solomon's Temple Revealed

last book i read was Fatty Batter by Michael Simkins.

Cricket-themed but genuine laugh out loud moments + the turn of phrase and description used raises a smile.

One of my favourites.

Other favourites are The Harry Potter books (obviously) His dark materials trilogy. Think the way they both mature from essentially children's books. Especially HDM how it goes from simple being magical creatures in northern lights to more adult themes (i.e Religion) Reading that trilogy now (initially read as a child, now 17 but a lot more intellectual) i truly appreciate how the books have matured yet are still entertaining to children, at a more basic level. Both sets of books do this, however HDM shades it on that front (prefer HP for different reasons) due to "god" dying and the religious criticism in the final book.

Edit: Can't believe i missed these out. Must be due to it being 1.AM

Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde. Classic Victorian Gothic novel. Great characters, great language. Plus It is strongly Faustian; Who doesn't like the theme of trading your soul for something you strongly desire?

1984 and Animal farm. I'm not a Communist though. Simply brilliant. Especially the first. It's not just a political book it deal strongly with personal identity and the human psyche. (Some philistine in my year claimed it was devoid of emotion. Unbelievable)

Some plays i have studied the text of and enjoyed; King Lear, Macbeth, Death of a Salesman and a view from the bridge. Not books but still literature, sort of.

Last edited:
The bible, please don't tell me if Jesus wins or not. Actually I've always wondered what happens at the end of the bible. does Jesus shoot the devil in an explosive action packed car chase or what?
Na, you gotta wait for Bible II for that.

I've read a few cricket autobiographies, Flintoff's, Pietersen's, Strauss's, Atherton's and Vaughan's, Athertons was the best imo, probably down to the fact he had actually finished his career.

Penguins stopped play by the late Harry Thompson was a brilliant read, going all the way around the world with his village cricket team, infact I think it was recommended to me by someone on here, possibly Sureshot, so cheers!

Last edited:
Was about to close this thread thinking we already had one on books then searched and realized we didn't! :eek:

Are you serious?!!

The last book I read was The House of the Scorpions by Nancy Farmer for Language Arts. Everyone in my class pretty much went nuts over the story, although being too close to the idea of a story I had a while ago.....it is an enjoyable book nonetheless, and can be recommended for a good read.

Last edited:
Are you serious?!!

The last book I read was The House of the Scorpions by Nancy Farmer for Language Arts. Everyone in my class pretty much went nuts over the story, although being too close to the idea of a story I had a while ago.....it is a good read nonetheless, and can be recommended for a good read.

Ha! You proved a Mod wrong. I hope you learned your lesson NP :p

I love the Matthew Rielly ones, thrilling stuff! the CHERUB series is fantastic, Alex Rider ones are good and I love the Artmeis Fowl books.

I enjoyed To Kill a Mockingbird, I liked the subtle themes and the hidden meanings in it. It was also a good insight into society in 1930s America. Some others in my class, of 15/16 year olds found it boring in places, but I didn't.

The bible, please don't tell me if Jesus wins or not. Actually I've always wondered what happens at the end of the bible. does Jesus shoot the devil in an explosive action packed car chase or what?

Passion of the Christ 2: Crucify This

Na, you gotta wait for Bible II for that.

I've read a few cricket autobiographies, Flintoff's, Pietersen's, Strauss's, Atherton's and Vaughan's, Athertons was the best imo, probably down to the fact he had actually finished his career.

Penguins stopped play by the late Harry Thompson was a brilliant read, going all the way around the world with his village cricket team, infact I think it was recommended to me by someone on here, possibly Sureshot, so cheers!

Could well have been me, I've recommended it on here before. A very good book. I tend to get bored by books fairly quickly if it's boring, Penguins Stopped Play, wasn't one of those.

Have you read Slogging the Slavs?

Im a big reader.... but lol being my age (12)....im into comedy/action sort of books. Like the cherub series or various books such as the ishmael series and flush. liked harry potter as well llol/

Are you serious?!!

The last book I read was The House of the Scorpions by Nancy Farmer for Language Arts. Everyone in my class pretty much went nuts over the story, although being too close to the idea of a story I had a while ago.....it is an enjoyable book nonetheless, and can be recommended for a good read.

Lol, even I didn't know I started a book thread :p

I'm definitely gonna get Catcher in the Rye after my exams. It's a classic if critics reviews are anything to go by and I'm definitely interested in acquiring it.

Users who are viewing this thread