The End Of Australian Dominance?

Is it offically over now? As of 30th December 2008?

• Total voters
Do you do any research before posting, or do you just type the first thing that comes into your head? In fact I would be quite interested (I say quite interested but I mean don't really care either way) if you even watch any cricket at all, and who?

I think as had been said, Australia will still be a very good side, almost certainly top 1-3 in the world, but whether they will be the best side, or even dominate as they have done, only time will tell. Obviously being an England fan I hope they don't but it all depends how the likes of Johnson and Tait and the rest of their younger bowlers adapt to test cricket. You can have all the talent in the world, but when you get to the test arena half the battle is fought mentally, an area that McGrath and Warne were simply superb in on top of their obvious talent.

The Aussies will struggle while Tait and Jhonson find their feet, maybe even Bailey and Dan Cullen, but should still be a force by the next Ashes.

can't say i've seen much of him since the 2005 ashes but as an englishman i'd be far more worried about mitchell johnson than shaun tait.

Ok retirements before 2010 are going to hurt Australia a little bit, because id imagine Warne, Mcgrath, Lee, Ponting, Clark, Hussy and a fair few others are going to retire, but then you look at the possible team and you think, hang on, these kids are a bit of alrite!
Test / ODI
1.Phil Jaques (32.00 30.25 )
2.Tim Paine From what ive heard he is looking good, plus he is 22, still young :)
3.Adam Voges Not played yet, but for Australia centre of excellence he did well
4.Michael Clarke (44.00 43.75)(19.00 36.19) Bat Stat/Bowl Stat
5.Shane Watson (20.25 30.58)(61.50 31.28) Batting stats/Bowling stats
6.George Bailey Decent stats, looked very good for the acadamy!
7.Brad Haddin (24.93) Only played in ODI
8.Nathan Bracken (42.08 20.53) Been around for a while, still useful
9.Johnson (25.78) Bowling average from ODI, not played test as of yet!
10.Dan Cullen (54.00 73.50) High, but he's only very young
11.Tait (42.00) Not played a ODI, fairly high average but still 23 :)

Bearing in mind im an English person, so i dont get to watch a whole lot of Australian cricket, i wouldnt know too much about the up and coming youngsters. Ive spent quite a while researching that, and i think the team looks decent from what i can see without the big guns :)

Last edited:
Simbazz said:
11.Tait (42.00) Not played a test

Who was that rather quick young slinger that made his debut at Trent Bridge in 2005 then? :p

gambino said:
thats thing thing

I Dont!!

lol

Your comments are boring me. If you don't have the knowledge to post on something, don't. It might stop you looking silly from time to time.

puddleduck said:
In fact I would be quite interested (I say quite interested but I mean don't really care either way) if you even watch any cricket at all, and who?

mate the whole world doesnt revolve around the ashes

in a sense you must think that aslong as you watch aussies and england matches you know everything about cricket,

so i dont watch and couldnt care less about the australian domestic cricket,
i dont have to

gambino said:

in a sense you must think that aslong as you watch aussies and england matches you know everything about cricket,

i dont have to

No but you have to understand a big percentage of this forum have a nationality of English or Australian, and another big percentage are hooked on the Ashes even though they arnt English or Australian.

I said in my post i didnt watch a great deal of Australian Domestic stuff, but i wasnt rude like you about it.

in a sense you must think that aslong as you watch aussies and england matches you know everything about cricket

From talking to Stevie a lot i know that he knows his fair bit about cricket, so i suggest you find out your facts on people's knowledges before making such a bold statement

I suggest you get yourself a new attitude and grow up!

And Stevie, i meant to say ODI, but you gotta admit thats quite impressive research ;)

gambino said:
Is this the End of the Aussie dominance in world cricket?
With Warne and Mcgrath retiring,australia will find it hard to bowl sides out unless jason gillespie and kasprowicz find their old form,

I think that they will win some matches but it will mostly be draws or losses

More draws cos of the power of their batting but who knows maybe the remainder of Dads Army might follow their lead,

i said this a couple of weeks ago when martyn retired that others will follow him very soon

i have seen no evidence that leads me to believe they are retiring, but if the announcement comes it will be a bitter blow for cricket and the end of an era, of that, there is no doubt.

Octavius said:
i have seen no evidence that leads me to believe they are retiring, but if the announcement comes it will be a bitter blow for cricket and the end of an era, of that, there is no doubt.
totally agreed, Warne hasnt come out and said "look im retiring," so dont believe it until he does. If Warne in particular for me retires, i will miss him as a bowler and as a player, he always has an uncanny way of making the field liven up be it shouting out encouragment or using his humour!

Warne is the single most best wrist spinner of all time, even better than Murali!

Warne is a guy who you know if you put on a big score like Cook did then Warne would be the first to come to shake you hand, he is that kinda guy!

Colly has said that he loved the task of Warne bowling, but also having him in his ear constantly, and i know id love that as Warne is the greatest guy in cricket!

Bold comment, but in my opinion it is 100% true

gambino said:

i dont have to

wow who doesnt love the history and drama surrounding the ashes, if they are a true cricket fan? Im neither English or Australian, but i love the clash between Pakistan and India and Eng and Australia, thats what crickets all about.

As far as your comments about the dominance of Australia, i would hasten to submit that Australia has more secondary level depth than many other countries out there.

There is plenty of new young talent coming through from what i can see.

As Duff kindly reminded me, Cameron White!!!

Test / ODI
1.Phil Jaques (32.00 30.25 )
2.Tim Paine From what ive heard he is looking good, plus he is 22, still young :)
3.Adam Voges Not played yet, but for Australia centre of excellence he did well
4.Michael Clarke (44.00 43.75)(19.00 36.19) Bat Stat/Bowl Stat
5.Shane Watson (20.25 30.58)(61.50 31.28) Batting stats/Bowling stats
6.Cameron White His average is 60, but he has played only 5 times, still great for Somerset
7.Brad Haddin (24.93) Only played in ODI
8.Nathan Bracken (42.08 20.53) Been around for a while, still useful
9.Johnson (25.78) Bowling average from ODI, not played test as of yet!
10.Dan Cullen (54.00 73.50) High, but he's only very young
11.Tait (42.00) Not played a ODI, fairly high average but still 23 :)

12.George Bailey Decent stats, looked very good for the acadamy!

as any team would we will sorely miss Warne & McGrath in the bowling, but the following young bowlers will make names of themselves: Bracken, Watson, Tait, Johnson, Hilfenhaus (remember that name), Cullen... not to mention Stuart Clark & Brett Lee will be there for a while, and as for our batting, other nations have to worry about them, not us!

(edit: typo)

Last edited:
This would probably be the team for the fourth test at Melbourne if the retirements were with immediate effect:

1. Justin Langer
2. Matthew Hayden
3. Ricky Ponting (captain)
4. Mike Hussey
5. Michael Clarke
6. Andrew Symonds
7. Adam Gilchrist (wicket keeper)
8. Brett Lee
9. Stuart Clark
10. Nathan Bracken
11. Stuart MacGill

I still wouldn't fancy facing it!

They are blowing it out of proportion a bit, Australia will always dominate world cricket because we have the grassroots inplace better than anywhere else in the world with our cricket academy. Warne hasnt played one day cricket for a fair while now and we're still ranked where? oh number 1..

Zaibatsu22 said:
They are blowing it out of proportion a bit, Australia will always dominate world cricket because we have the grassroots inplace better than anywhere else in the world with our cricket academy. Warne hasnt played one day cricket for a fair while now and we're still ranked where? oh number 1..
England aren't far behind at the grassroots level. It wouldn't take long here to find a local club. The one thing we do lack is good schools cricket - that's because the teachers anre juggling so many things at the same time and the kids would rather play football.

We have four domestic competitions in the Liverpool Victoria County Championship, Twenty20 Cup, Natwest Pro40 and ECB One-Day Trophy. Yet we are still lagging behind in the world rankings.

Users who are viewing this thread