The field editor is a shambles.

The beating bag that has become AC09 got the field settings thing pretty much spot on, in terms of tweaking fields on the fly. The presets were still terrible though. It's an area no game has been able to make as much fun or intuitive as batting or bowling though. Mostly because; it's fielding. It's pretty damn boring for 80% of the time anyway.

Agreed. It's as clunky and unintuitive as EA's Fifa system (that hopefully they've now binned!) On the PC version at the very least, there should be a way to use your mouse to drag and drop fielders - and while drag and drop doesn't work as well with a gamepad, it's a lot better than what we've got now. Just like I don't bother fiddling with formations in Fifa for this reason, neither do I bother changing the field in this game - it's just too much of a hassle. There aren't even any presets that I can see!

Agreed. It's as clunky and unintuitive as EA's Fifa system (that hopefully they've now binned!) On the PC version at the very least, there should be a way to use your mouse to drag and drop fielders - and while drag and drop doesn't work as well with a gamepad, it's a lot better than what we've got now. Just like I don't bother fiddling with formations in Fifa for this reason, neither do I bother changing the field in this game - it's just too much of a hassle. There aren't even any presets that I can see!
Agreed, drag and drop using the mouse would be great.

The way PES does its player positions in the "game plan" section is really intuitive and well designed for a controller - you hover over a player, press "A" to select them then drag them around the pitch and hit "A" again to drop them, and hitting "X" gives you a drop down list of different roles available for the part of the pitch you've placed the player. In football these 'roles' dictate the player's postional tendencies/movement, but in DBC this drop down list could bring up a list of nearby suitable positions.

For instance, you can drag a player to around the slips cordon and drop them in a freeform manner, but if you press "X" then a list would pop up suggesting First Slip, Second Slip, Gully etc. in order of proximity and selecting one of these would move the player to that predetermined position.

Agreed, drag and drop using the mouse would be great.

The way PES does its player positions in the "game plan" section is really intuitive and well designed for a controller - you hover over a player, press "A" to select them then drag them around the pitch and hit "A" again to drop them, and hitting "X" gives you a drop down list of different roles available for the part of the pitch you've placed the player. In football these 'roles' dictate the player's postional tendencies/movement, but in DBC this drop down list could bring up a list of nearby suitable positions.

For instance, you can drag a player to around the slips cordon and drop them in a freeform manner, but if you press "X" then a list would pop up suggesting First Slip, Second Slip, Gully etc. in order of proximity and selecting one of these would move the player to that predetermined position.

Hell yeah. If this game was to nick PES' system, instead of seeming to wish to copy EA's rubbish, then changing the field would be a doddle and a pleasure. It has to be done, Big Ant - changing the field is a sort of vital part of the game of cricket. :)

Users who are viewing this thread