Story The Hutch Cup 2006 - India vs Pakistan

UsmanCHADDA

County Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
INDIA IN PAKISTAN - 2005-06

THE HUTCH CUP

INDIA V PAKISTAN

After the test series in which Pakistan triumphed 1-0, the two arch rivals, India and Pakistan, look set to lock horns in the One-Day International Series. Pakistan have been on a high in ODIs in the last 6-7 months while India are coming off consecutive wins off Sri Lanka and South Africa.

Pakistan might have the psychological edge due to their win in the test series, but in ODIs you never know.

Welcome to the Hutch Cup!​

GEO TV had an exclusive interview with the Pakistani captain, Inzamam-ul-haq:

GEO: Inzamam first of all good evening!

Inzamam-ul-haq said:
Good evening to you too!

GEO: Inzamam how do you and your boys feel ahead of this series?

Inzamam-ul-haq said:
Well, the boys are rearing to go after their win in the test series. That last test at Karachi has given them a lot of confidence, because beating India is not an easy feat to achieve specially in the sub-continent! The feeling in the camp is very good.

GEO: How will the pitches be this time? You would surely not want to repeat the fiasco that happened after the first test!

Inzamam-ul-haq said:
Well ODIs are all about entertainment so obviously the pitches will be more in favour of the batsmen. Hopefully, the curators will prepare a pitch which will be sporting and will produce some very good cricket.

GEO: Inzamam, about the opening spot....is Kamran Akmal still an option?

Inzamam-ul-haq said:
Yes, definitely! Kamran has done a tremendous job opening so far! He smashed two hundreds against England and he is no doubt in the form of his life. I am sure he will be looking forward to opening against India.

GEO: Now Inzamam the million dollar question: Will Shoaib Akhtar be able to play all the matches in the series?

Inzamam said:
That I cannot say since Shoaib has been suffering from an ankle injury since the England series. He played the three tests against India with the same injury. Its very important that we dont aggravate the injury otherwise he would have to sit out the important England and Sri Lankan tours coming soon. We are monitoring his progress and we'll make the final decision one day before the match.

GEO: Inzamam how are you taking India now that you've won the test series?

Inzamam said:
India is a very good side even in ODIs. There is no need for complacency on our part. We'll just go out there and play positive cricket. India have a few very explosive players such as Yuvraj, Sehwag & Dhoni. They also have a decent bowling attack spear-headed by Irfan Pathan who took a hat-trick against us in the third test. So he is definitely no lolly-pop. Apart from that they have very good batsmen such as Tendulkar and Dravid. All in all a frightening prospect!

GEO: Right, Inzamam thanks for your precious time. Hopefully, we'll meet you after the match at Peshawar

Rahul Dravid was very positive when he addressed the media in Peshawar:

Rahul Dravid said:
Its going to be another amazing series! We were heavily disappointed when we lost the test series, but thats how life goes. The ODI Series is as important as the tests and we will try to make up for the test loss. We have got some very good ODI players, who are capable of taking the game away from the opposition single-handedly. So our chances are looking pretty good!

Pakistan are a very challenging opposition. The type of cricket they have played in the last 7 months is astounding and definitely commendable. Their performance in Karachi was brilliant, and to top it all off they are in red hot ODI form after having won three consecutive ODI series. We will give our best in the series and try to win it!

BCCI ANNOUNCES INDIAN SQUAD FOR THE ODI SERIES

The BCCI announced the ODI Squad here on Tuesday. Saurav Ganguly has missed out once again, even though he had run into decent form! Promising youngsters like Sree Santh, Suresh Raina, JP Yadav have been picked to showcase their talent in arguably one of the most important series in International Cricket! Anil Kumble and VVS Laxman have been retained while Wasim Jaffer and ofcourse Ganguly missed out.

Saurav Ganguly once again deserted by good fortune....

The following players will take part in the ODI Series vs Pakistan:

RS Dravid - captain
SR Tendulkar
A Kumble
V Sehwag - vice-captain
Harbhajan Singh
VVS Laxman
Z Khan
JP Yadav
RP Singh
AB Agarkar
Yuvraj Singh
M Kaif
IK Pathan
SK Raina
Sree Santh
MS Dhoni - wicket-keeper

THE HUTCH CUP SCHEDULE

1st One-Day International - India vs Pakistan at Peshawar

2nd One-Day International - India vs Pakistan at Rawalpindi

3rd One-Day International - India vs Pakistan at Lahore

4th One-Day International - India vs Pakistan at Multan

5th One-Day International - India vs Pakistan at Karachi

BREAKING NEWS: SPEEDSTAR SHOAIB AKHTAR WILL NOT BE PARTICIPATING IN THE ONE-DAY INTERNATIONAL SERIES VERSUS INDIA!

Shoaib Akhtar: His injury problems continue!

Pakistani speedster Shoaib Akhtar has been ruled out of the ODI Series due to an ankle injury. The paceman, who has bagged 199 wickets in 129 matches, complained of considerable pain around his ankle when he tried to bowl in the nets. The doctors have advised him to rest for about four weeks and so he will not be able to represent Pakistan in the much awaited ODI Series against arch-rivals India.

Shoaib was very disappointed by this incident "Its very frustrating to watch from the sidelines when you are a main player in the team. I have been playing with this injury from the start of the England series and also played the recently concluded tests against India. But when I try to bowl in the nets nowadays I feel a lot of pain. The doctors have told me to rest for a few weeks, hopefully I will be ready for the Sri Lankan and England series'."

1st One-Day International: India v Pakistan at Peshawar

1st One-Day International - India v Pakistan

Sanjay Manjreakar: A very warm welcome to the first ODI between Pakistan and India at Peshawar! Both teams are ready to fight it out again on this very fine (and humid!) day in Peshawar. Pakistan has a decent record on this ground with 6 wins in 10 games. India has played a solitary match over here and that too they have lost! So India will be looking forward to better their record at the Arbab Niaz Stadium.

The pitch report is next with Dean Jones...

Dean Jones: Thanks Sanjay! The pitch is looking rather 'normal' if you know what I mean. It will definitely support bowlers in the morning specially the likes of Rana Naved & Irfan Pathan, who really swing it a country mile! Later on the wicket will ease out, and will become a very good batting surface. But I have got to say this, whoever wins the toss should bowl first to extract whatever help there is from this pitch. Back to you Sanjay.

The toss

nqer9v.jpg

Sanjay Manjrekar: Right! Lets get down to the toss with Rameez Raja!

Ramiz Raja: Thank you Sanjay! And good morning ladies and gentlemen to this great encounter between India and Pakistan. I have got the two captains here, Inzamam-ul-haq of Pakistan and Rahul Dravid of India along with the match referee Chris Broad. Dravid....to toss the coin.....heads is the call, and heads it is!

So Dravid won the toss, what do you want to do?

Rahul Dravid: We are going to bat first, looks a very good pitch. The first hour will be crucial so our openers have to survive. But after that I think the conditions will definitely become better to bat.

Ramiz Raja: Who are you going to open with?

Rahul Dravid: Well we have decided upon the explosive duo of Dhoni and Viru in this match. They are very good players of fast bowling and can hopefully get us a good start in the first 15 overs.

Ramiz Raja: And your bowling?

Rahul Dravid: We are going in with four seam bowlers. On this pitch spin is not going to matter much but we have still gone for Harbhajan as a precautionary step. But the main burden will be on the fast bowlers and that will be the key today.

Ramiz Raja: Well thanks Rahul and good luck for the match! Inzamam what would you have done?

Inzamam-ul-haq: I would have bowled first considering the early morning help for the fast bowlers. It came as a surprise to me when Dravid elected to bat!

Ramiz Raja: And your team?

Inzamam-ul-haq: We have gone for Iftikhar Anjum and Umar Gul in this match. They will partner Abdul Razzaq and Rana to form the pace attack. Afridi and Malik will carry out the spin duties.

Ramiz Raja: And you are opening with Kamran Akmal again?

Inzamam-ul-haq: Yes. The batting is the same as it was in the England series with Kamran opening. He has done a very good job and we would not like to disturb the top order.

Ramiz Raja: Inzamam thanks for your thoughts and best of luck for the match!

The news from the center is that India have won the toss and elected to bat first!

Users who are viewing this thread