Story Indian Cricket Season - THE ALLIANZ CUP (India Vs Pakistan) [C2005]

good stuff bala. cant wait for the 1st test mate. really high standard

Blast from the Past - Episode 1
Pakistan Vs India, 2nd Test
April 5 - 9,2004. Gadaffi Stadium Lahore

This is a section in which we present to you the previous encounter between these two teams. So let us go back to Lahore for the second test between India and Pakistan when India toured Pakistan in 2004.

India came as the strong favorites after a crushing win at Multan. The match will be remembered for two sterling performances by two young men.

gul4cm.jpg

Gul's date with destiny

Umar Gul ripped apart the famed Indian batting line up which had the murderous Sehwag who was fresh from his smacking 309 at Multan and Tendulkar who was left stranded at 194. Umar Gul's near McGrath like bowling action and perfection was India's undoing as they were bundled for 287. Gul took 5/31 in 12 overs.

yuvraj0jf.jpg

Yuvraj Singh - Redefining his game!

India's batting cut a sorry 7/147 and it was wen the aggressive southpaw Yuvraj Singh decided to show to the world that he was indeed test material. He put on 117 runs for the 8th wicket with another young colt - Irfan Pathan. Yuvraj smashed 15 boundaries and a six on his way to a 129 ball 112.

Pakistan scored 489 in their first innings thanks to their middle order and bowled India for 241 in the second innings. Needing 40 runs to win, they reached the target in 7 overs losing just 1 wicket.

Result: Pakistan win the match by 9 wickets

Man Of the Match: Umar Gul.

Thanks for all your reply guys! Its over now to Lahore for the first test between India and Pakistan in the Allianz Cup.

allianzpitchad3yl.png

Sanjay Manjrekar: Hello and welcome to the Lahore for the first test of The Allianz Cup between Pakistan and India at the Gadaffi Stadium. The match is a sell-out and the crowd is already filling the stands. Its a sunny day, not a cloud in sight and the weather is clear. The temparature is in the low 30s, all together an excellent day for cricket.

I have with me here Nasser Hussain and Rameez Raza. Rameez, great build up to the series?

Rameez: Absolutely Sanjay, both these teams are well matched and its hard to pick a clear winner from these teams.

Sanjay: No Shoiab Malik for this match?

Rameez: Yes, Shoaib was struck on his head by a fast bouncer from Sami in the nets and he has been sent to the near by hospital for preliminary scans. So it seems he will be missing this one out. Hasan Raza or Imran Farhat might play this match.

Nasser Hussain: What about India, Sanjay? Will Ganguly play this match or will he be left out?

Sanjay: The Indian camp is keeping it a closely guarded secret and it remains to be seen whether Sourav gets to play this game. Yuvraj being in top form doesn't help the selection to be a bit easy at all.

Rameez: Let us join Dean Jones for the pitch report.

The Pitch Report
with Dean Jones

anyc000027on.jpg

Dean Jones: Lovely day to play some hard cricket. Perfect subcontinent conditions, no doubts about that. Let us take a look at the pitch. Well --- Its dry and soft at the top. This pitch is a belter. Expect runs to be scored at a good clip. But I have a doubt that the top surface being soft, will aid the spinners right from the word go. SO If I were a captain I would want to bat first so that I wouldn't want to bat on a crumbling pitch.

Over to Sanjay for the TOSS!

THE TOSS!

Sanjay Manjrekar: Good Morning and Welcome to the first of the 3 tests between India and Pakistan for the Allianz Cup. We are at Lahore and joining me are the two captains Inzamam ul Haq and Rahul Dravid.

The match referee Mr. Ranjan Madugalle is also present here. Inzi, the coin is all yours

toss7gc.jpg

Inzamam tosses the coin
Dravid: Heads!

Sanjay: Its a tail! Inzamam has won the toss (Crowd roar). Inzi, what do you want to do.

Inzamam: We want to bat first. This looks like a good wicket for batting. So we would like to put some good runs on the board first.

Sanjay: No Shoaib Malik for this game?

Inzamam: Yes! He had a nasty hit. We wish hime well so that he could be fit for the next match. Hasan Raza will play this match.

Sanjay: That means Afridi will open!

Inzamam: Yes! Afridi has played well in opening against India.

Sanjay: All the best Inzi. Rahul, you have to bat last on this wicket.

Dravid: Yes! It is a a bit disapppointing that we have to bat last on this wicket. I guess it would take spin from the word go and it would be pretty much worn out by the 4th day. So we would try to restrict Pakistan for a decent total and go about it.

Sanjay: Big question. Is Ganguly playing?

Dravid: Yes! Sourav is playing this match. He will be used as a third seamer as we have only two seamers in Ajit (Agarkar) and Irfan (Pathan) are playing this match. Laxman will be sitting this out.

Sanjay: Wow! Thats huge. Laxman sitting out.

Dravid: Yes! It is a big minus that Lacchaa is not playing. But he is a genuine professional and will understand that this is how cricket is played. We know that he will be back and deliver the goods again.

Sanjay: All the best Rahul. So the news form the centre is that Inzamam has won the toss and Pakistan will bat first. And V.V.S.Laxman has been left out from the Indian side.

We will take a short commercial break and when we are back it will be ball 1 LIVE

anyc000048zd.jpg

We are LIVE at Lahore

The Indian team file out to take the field. They will be riding high after a successful series against Sri Lanka and South Africa. A mauling of the Pakistan A team at the Bagh - e- Jinnah would have sent warnings to the home side.

anyc000054mh.jpg

The Indians have fielded a very strong squad that has no place for "Very Very Special" Laxman. The bowling attack will be spearheaded by the spin twins - Kumble and Harbhajan while Irfan Pathan will look to add some zing with his swing.

The Pakistanis also field a strong side and they will be hampered by the non availability of Shoaib Malik who was entrusted with the opening duties. Afridi will open the innings along with Salman Butt.

Irfan Pathan to bowl the first ball to Shahid Afridi. Three slips and a short leg are in place for Pathan.

Let the game begin.......

anyc000079uh.png

Butt and Afridi rally Pakistan

Pakistan were given a steady start by their openers Salman Butt and Shahid Afridi. Butt showed finesse and silken touch in caressing the ball to the ropes.

Afridi on the other end seemed intent to pass this test as a opener as he blocked and much to many audience's horror, "HE LEFT A FEW BALLS ALONE"

He did hit a couple of boundaries, the best of them being the extra cover drive of Agarkar.

Pathan and Agarkar extracted some movement but hardly troubled the batsmen. Pakistan are well placed at 39/0.

1stpic8aa.jpg

Sureshot said:
Sami at number 8?

Surely Rana is better :D

KUTGW Bala.
Thanks Sure shot!

But Sami has a highest of 49 against India, whereas Rana has 36. You do your math.

To me both are poo.

Users who are viewing this thread