PlanetCricket Award Winner
Lucky Dip Player 37...

upload_2020-3-28_22-45-51.png

:eng: :ar: Jamie Dalrymple

Rejected by
: @DalePlaysCricket
Nominated by: @DalePlaysCricket
"Panesar" counter: 18

ODI stats: 487 runs @ 19.48 (best 67) and 14 wickets @ 47.57 (best 2/5) in 27 matches
List A stats: 3,276 runs @ 26.85 (2 centuries, best 107) and 115 wickets @ 36.62 (best 4/14) in 166 matches

This nomination is a double-edged sword for me. On the one hand, it's a reminder of when the choice for English ODI spinners was between Alex Loudon and Jamie Dalrymple and that was a weird time. On the other, it's introduced me to the amazing collection of photos of Dalrymple getting clean bowled in an England shirt: there's this one and this one (WHY ARE HIS EYES SHUT?) and this one and this one...

And the player goes to... @Yash.

Aislabie

Test Cricket is Best Cricket
Ireland
Lucky Dip Player 38...

nh1600_1484459363.jpg

:ind: :bwl: Narendra Hirwani

Rejected by
: @blockerdave
Nominated by: @blockerdave
"Panesar" counter: 19

ODI stats: 23 wickets @ 31.36 (best 4/43) in 18 matches
List A stats: 75 wickets @ 34.14 (best 4/42) in 70 matches

This struck me as quite an odd Panesar from Dave, because Hirwani was a pretty good attacking leggie. I mean, obviously he never managed to recapture the heights of his Test debut as teenager but that doesn't mean that he wasn't a thoroughly competent leggie.

And the player goes to... @Na Maloom Afraad

blockerdave

ICC Chairman
Profile Flag
England
Lucky Dip Player 38...

nh1600_1484459363.jpg

:ind: :bwl: Narendra Hirwani

Rejected by
: @blockerdave
Nominated by: @blockerdave
"Panesar" counter: 19

ODI stats: 23 wickets @ 31.36 (best 4/43) in 18 matches
List A stats: 75 wickets @ 34.14 (best 4/42) in 70 matches

This struck me as quite an odd Panesar from Dave, because Hirwani was a pretty good attacking leggie. I mean, obviously he never managed to recapture the heights of his Test debut as teenager but that doesn't mean that he wasn't a thoroughly competent leggie.

And the player goes to... @Na Maloom Afraad

so this was purely and simply as he’d just taken match figures of 1/85 at about 5 an over against me in the 1st test 1990 on cricket 19 so without further research I assumed he was crap :lol

Aislabie

Ireland
Lucky Dip Player 39...

upload_2020-3-28_23-5-8.png

:nzf: :ar: John Bracewell

Rejected by
: @Bevab
Nominated by: @Bevab
"Panesar" counter: 20

ODI stats: 512 runs @ 16.51 (best 47) and 33 wickets @ 57.09 (best 2/3) in 53 matches
List A stats: 1,373 runs @ 20.49 (best 66) and 89 wickets @ 35.57 (best 3/19) in 106 matches

John Bracewell made the most of some thoroughly average cricketing skills to forge a respectable career as a stock spinner and firefighting batsman. But more than that, he really understood one-day cricket, and was able to turn a modestly talented Gloucestershire team into an English one-day dynasty in his time as coach.

And the player goes to... @CerealKiller

Aislabie

Ireland
Lucky Dip Player 40...

mluleki-nkala-zimbabwe-team-cricketer-cricket-rare-postcard-77501-p[ekm]320x488[ekm].jpg

:zim: :ar: Mluleki Nkala

Rejected by
: @CerealKiller
Nominated by: @CerealKiller
"Panesar" counter: 21

ODI stats: 324 runs @ 10.80 (best 47) and 22 wickets @ 71.36 (best 3/12) in 50 matches
List A stats: 714 runs @ 14.00 (best 54*) and 71 wickets @ 38.90 (best 5/35) in 93 matches

Well if there couldn't be Tony Suji, at least there's Mluleki Nkala. Fifty one-day internationals he played, with a batting average of 10 and a bowling average of 71. How on earth did that happen?

And the player goes to... @ahmedleo414

CerealKiller

Staff Member
Fantasy Cricket Team
PAK...
Kings XI
Islamabad
Avengers
Profile Flag
Pakistan
Lucky Dip Player 39...

View attachment 230858

:nzf: :ar: John Bracewell

Rejected by
: @Bevab
Nominated by: @Bevab
"Panesar" counter: 20

ODI stats: 512 runs @ 16.51 (best 47) and 33 wickets @ 57.09 (best 2/3) in 53 matches
List A stats: 1,373 runs @ 20.49 (best 66) and 89 wickets @ 35.57 (best 3/19) in 106 matches

John Bracewell made the most of some thoroughly average cricketing skills to forge a respectable career as a stock spinner and firefighting batsman. But more than that, he really understood one-day cricket, and was able to turn a modestly talented Gloucestershire team into an English one-day dynasty in his time as coach.

And the player goes to... @CerealKiller
Qui Panesar ferit Panesar perit

Ed Smith

Gaffer
ENG....
Northern Superchargers
The Boys
Profile Flag
England
Lucky Dip Player 37...

View attachment 230856

:eng: :ar: Jamie Dalrymple

Rejected by
: @DalePlaysCricket
Nominated by: @DalePlaysCricket
"Panesar" counter: 18

ODI stats: 487 runs @ 19.48 (best 67) and 14 wickets @ 47.57 (best 2/5) in 27 matches
List A stats: 3,276 runs @ 26.85 (2 centuries, best 107) and 115 wickets @ 36.62 (best 4/14) in 166 matches

This nomination is a double-edged sword for me. On the one hand, it's a reminder of when the choice for English ODI spinners was between Alex Loudon and Jamie Dalrymple and that was a weird time. On the other, it's introduced me to the amazing collection of photos of Dalrymple getting clean bowled in an England shirt: there's this one and this one (WHY ARE HIS EYES SHUT?) and this one and this one...

And the player goes to... @Yash.

Sorry @Yash.

Aislabie

Ireland
And so ends the Lucky Dip! Let's see how the teams look after all that carnage...

@ahmedleo414
:aus: :bat: Ricky Ponting (P)
:pak: :ar: Imran Khan (L)
:ber: :bat: James Celestine (L)
:zim: :ar: Mluleki Nkala (L)
:ban: :bwl: Mustafizur Rahman (L)

All in all, that could have gone far worse for you. You've got a couple of proper legends in there, as well as a very good deceptive seamer, but you do have to work around a couple of Panesars.

@Aislabie
:ind: :wkb: Rahul Dravid (L)
:ned: :ar: Ryan ten Doeschate (L)
:eng: :ar: Andrew Flintoff (P)
:pak: :bwl: Waqar Younis (L)
:zim: :bwl: Pommie Mbangwa (L)

I've really done well out of this. I've got myself four legends and only one Panesar to show for it. I'm really very happy with how this has all turned out.

@Bevab
:eng: :wkb: Jonny Bairstow (P)
:wi: :ar: Viv Richards (L)
:ban: :ar: Naimur Rahman (L)
:sco: :ar: Moneeb Iqbal (L)
:eng: :bwl: Monty Panesar (L)

On the one hand you've got Richards and Bairstow and that's huge, but on the other you've got two non-batting non-bowlers in there and no proper seamers yet.

@blockerdave
:aus: :bat: Michael Bevan (L)
:ken: :ar: Steve Tikolo (L)
:ire: :ar: Andre Botha (L)
:sco: :bat: Omer Hussain (L)
:wi: :bwl: Joel Garner (P)

It is fast becoming a tradition that you do well out of these lotteries; you did pick up a Panesar in Omer Hussain, but it looks like you'll have a good enough team to hide him in.

@CerealKiller
:eng: :bat: Sam Hain (L)
:eng: :wk: Tim Ambrose (L)
:pak: :ar: Wasim Akram (P)
:nzf: :ar: John Bracewell (L)
:nzf: :bwl: Chris Martin (L)

This is a weird one, because you picked up three Panesars and an uncapped player, yet your team looks pretty okay. With a little bit of role clarity here, you can make this work.

@DalePlaysCricket
:sri: :wk: Romesh Kaluwitharana (L)
:eng: :bat: Kevin Pietersen (P)
:sco: :ar: Gavin Hamilton (L)
:aus: :ar: Chris Simpson (L)
:ind: :bwl: Srinivas Venkataraghavan (L)

If we were scoring teams simply in Scrabble points, then you'd be lapping the field right now. But we're not and you didn't do that well out of the Lucky Dip.

@deleted member
:pak: :bat: Inzamam ul-Haq (L)
:ind: :ar: Ajay Sharma (P)
:ned: :ar: Tim de Leede (L)
:zim: :bwl: Adam Huckle (L)
:eng: :wk: Ray Julian (L)

The Ajay Sharma pick still confuses me a bit, but if the Lucky Dip played out differently you could have been doing really well right now. Unfortunately this team lacks both batting and bowling.

@El Loco
:eng: :bat: Mike Brearley (L)
:saf: :wkb: AB de Villiers (P)
:saf: :ar: JP Duminy (L)
:zim: :ar: Malcolm Waller (L)
:pak: :bwl: Shoaib Akhtar (L)

So you did cop two Panesars, but you've come out of it okay with two proper middle-order hitters, a keeping option and the fastest bowler of all time.

@Na Maloom Afraad
:ind: :bat: Sachin Tendulkar (P)
:ber: :wkb: Kwame Tucker (L)
:ber: :bwl: Dwayne Leverock (L)
:ind: :bwl: Narendra Hirwani (L)
:ken: :bwl: Josephat Ababu (L)

Oh. Oh dear. That's four Panesars. Two of them are pretty good but that's still four Panesars. Well at least you had Sachin?

@Yash.
:ind: :bat: Shubman Gill (L)
:pak: :bat: Zaheer Abbas (P)
:wi: :ar: Garry Sobers (L)
:eng: :ar: Jamie Dalrymple (L)
:ind: :bwl: Yuzvendra Chahal (L)

Well Zaheer and Sobers in the same team is pretty intimidating. This is definitely one of the healthier units after a brutal Lucky Dip.

- - -

So those of you who were around for the Layer Cake Draft will remember that for the Recovery Draft layer, it is an ordered draft where whoever has the best team after the Lucky Dip goes last. Granted it didn't stop @blockerdave destroying that draft anyway, but still. It's designed to redress the balance a little bit. Therefore...

SEED 10 - @Na Maloom Afraad - It had to be didn't it. Four Panesars.
SEED 9 - @deleted member - Yeah that's a pretty shaky side too, but I'm putting NMA before you because his was completely out of his control.
SEED 8 - @DalePlaysCricket - I feel like your team is the next-struggliest. Not quite as outstandingly threadbare, but not exactly what you'd have hoped for either.
SEED 7 - @Bevab - Yes you have Bairstow and Richards, but you're still carrying two or three passengers in your side and that's not easy.
SEED 6 - @ahmedleo414 - There's a lot to like here, but you're still having to work around Celestine and Mluleki Nkala.
SEED 5 - @CerealKiller - It's very much a side built around Wasim Akram, but I mean... if you're going to build a side around someone.
SEED 4 - @El Loco - There are three sides that are really very close here, but you do still have to work around Mike Brearley's batting.
SEED 3 - @Yash. - Have fun with Jamie Dalrymple! In fairness it's really close between this team and the next one, but Gill is still pretty unproven as of yet.
SEED 2 - @blockerdave - Dave always does well on Lucky Dips. He just happened not to be able to avoid Omer Hussain this time, which happens.
SEED 1 - @Aislabie - Yeah, I've done horribly well here. To the extent that it probably looks a little suspicious really, but I couldn't go fixing it to make it look less fixed.

So yeah - that ^^^ will be our draft order shortly.

But first we've got to see who else we all rejected!

ahmedleo414

The Butcher
PAK...
LQ
The Boys
Profile Flag
Canada
@ahmedleo414
:aus: :bat: Ricky Ponting (P)
:pak: :ar: Imran Khan (L)
:ber: :bat: James Celestine (L)
:zim: :ar: Mluleki Nkala (L)
:ban: :bwl: Mustafizur Rahman (L)

All in all, that could have gone far worse for you. You've got a couple of proper legends in there, as well as a very good deceptive seamer, but you do have to work around a couple of Panesars.

it could've been a lot worse... i guess..... But i think with Ricky, Imran and The Fiz, i can work and create a decent to good team

Na Maloom Afraad

Man of Tomorrow
The Boys
:ber: :wkb: Kwame Tucker (L)
:ber: :bwl: Dwayne Leverock (L)
:ind: :bwl: Narendra Hirwani (L)
:ken: :bwl: Josephat Ababu (L)
On a more serious note, I honestly don't know where I go from here. Do I spend my picks on a couple of quality bowlers so they can limit the damage the overall damage my team takes (which mostly comes from these three), or do I put all my load on getting batsmen and make it a batsmen-powered team since I know my bowling isn't gonna be good in any circumstance, so my batsmen can save my team from defeat?

Aislabie

Ireland
On a more serious note, I honestly don't know where I go from here. Do I spend my picks on a couple of quality bowlers so they can limit the damage the overall damage my team takes (which mostly comes from these three), or do I put all my load on getting batsmen and make it a batsmen-powered team since I know my bowling isn't gonna be good in any circumstance, so my batsmen can save my team from defeat?

Looking at your situation, you've got some roles covered:
  • Top-order hitter (Tendulkar)
  • Keeper (Tucker)
  • Stock spinner (Leverock)
  • Attacking spinner (Hirwani)
You could also use Tucker as a firefighter at eight - he'd not do well but he can at least block. Ababu doesn't bat or bowl. If you need to I guess you can use Tendulkar as another spinner thoigh I don't know if I'd call him stock or attacking.

1. :ind: :bat: Sachin Tendulkar
8. :ber: :wk: Kwame Tucker
9. :ber: :bwl: Dwayne Leverock
10. :ind: :bwl: Narendra Hirwani
11. :ken: :x: Josephat Ababu

So out of those six players you need three or four all-rounders to cover all your bowling roles. It'll be tough but is possible

Users who are viewing this thread