The News Thread

btw shouldnt all the "Rupees" look like that now?

like for the dollar all countries that use it have this sign $ not just the US. so pakistan should be allowed to use that too :D

But they will create their own symbol since this one is in Hindi.:D

Saw this yesterday on the news. Looks like a heck of a lot of fun but I'm imagining myself falling off and getting run over by a car. Not a pretty sight. I'm alright with them doing this just as long as they don't act like right morons and jump in front of cars and such. Guy on the news said they wear more safety gear than cyclists but then they had that guy doing it in bare feet. :laugh

how do they pick up that sort of speed??

Most of the places they go is downhill and they follow behind trucks to get into their slipstream and that helps them pick up some major speed.

btw shouldnt all the "Rupees" look like that now?

like for the dollar all countries that use it have this sign $ not just the US. so pakistan should be allowed to use that too

Rupees is a common noun :p INR(Indian Rupee) is different from PKR(Pakistan Rupee) and such...

The symbol is for INR only ;)

There's a Bill being put through Parliament in NZ that will change the drinking laws. Have to be 18 to buy drinks at an on-license (bar, club, restaurant I think) which is the same as it is now, but you'll have to be 20 buy them at an off-license (liquor store, supermarket). Luckily for me this only comes into effect after the Rugby World Cup, at which point it'll only be like a month before I'm twenty :)

It will also lower the drink driving limit, which I find pretty stupid cos it's low enough as it is. It's just going to be more sober drivers being ticketed for being slightly over the limit. Most of the people involved in crashes are much over the limit (i.e. 5 times), so lowering it won't have much effect.

These is all subject to Parliament passing the changes though, and as it's a conscience vote I'm not sure whether it'll pass...

Luckily for me this only comes into effect after the Rugby World Cup
Thankyou, I wasn't sure when it would be happening but that's a relief.

I don't see the point in it. If I can get alcohol now I certainly will be able to when I'm 18.

About the driving limit, It's really funny because any expert will tell you that they're against it being raised. The problem is that it's too easy to get your license in this country. Basically drive down the road and you've got it.

Thankyou, I wasn't sure when it would be happening but that's a relief.

I don't see the point in it. If I can get alcohol now I certainly will be able to when I'm 18.

About the driving limit, It's really funny because any expert will tell you that they're against it being raised. The problem is that it's too easy to get your license in this country. Basically drive down the road and you've got it.

Yea it's not like it's hard to get it when you're underage.

And yes I read all about those experts too. It would probably be better if they raised the penalties rather than lower the limit.

It will also lower the drink driving limit, which I find pretty stupid cos it's low enough as it is.
It's nearly double the one we have in Australia (0.05 vs 0.08), and we still have a lobby to lower ours to 0.02.

Just catching up on this story of the Chilean miners stuck down there...they have been told that rescue could take up to four months...what the heck...can't imagine anything worse than that....:(

Mmm just read that this thread isn't suppossed to be for "serious" stuff....ah well...

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread