The state of off-spin bowling/suspect actions/doosra bowlers worldwide

ferg512

International Coach
Online Cricket Games Owned
I haven't read through what you guys have already posted but I'm probably in the minority when I say I don't really care about chucking at all. I mean lets be honest its probably all the bowlers have left.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Press Conference : Australia v India, World T20, Group 2, Mirpur | 'Why should I lag behind in the advantage' - Ashwin | Cricket videos, MP3, podcasts, cricket audio | ESPN Cricinfo

Match Point : India news | Crowe: Everyone capitalising on 15-degree rule | Cricket videos, MP3, podcasts, cricket audio | ESPN Cricinfo

Ha candid admission from Ashwin, didn't notice he was bowling full sleeve now for the 1st time.

Further shows how this doosra/15 degree flex rule is such a tricky topic & sad indictment of the game as Crowe says. Makes you wonder if Ajmal & others had bowled with short sleeves if umpires would have called them more frequently.

Aalay

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
Press Conference : Australia v India, World T20, Group 2, Mirpur | 'Why should I lag behind in the advantage' - Ashwin | Cricket videos, MP3, podcasts, cricket audio | ESPN Cricinfo

Match Point : India news | Crowe: Everyone capitalising on 15-degree rule | Cricket videos, MP3, podcasts, cricket audio | ESPN Cricinfo

Ha candid admission from Ashwin, didn't notice he was bowling full sleeve now for the 1st time.

Further shows how this doosra/15 degree flex rule is such a tricky topic & sad indictment of the game as Crowe says. Makes you wonder if Ajmal & others had bowled with short sleeves if umpires would have called them more frequently.

Yes, he did wear full sleeves for the first time in his International career. If you have followed Ashwin's international career, he has never done this before because he does not bowl doosra but bowls that carrom ball. He just flicks that middle finger to turn the ball away from right handers and does not bend his arm too much. However, during that Asia cup match against Bangladesh, he bowled with that Sunil Narine action. This is why he was wearing the full sleeves and it did look like he was chucking the ball. This is the exact feeling I get when I watch Ajmal bowling that doosra or Sachitra Senanayke's bowling in general. It looks like they are just throwing the ball.

War

Chairman of Selectors
Yes, he did wear full sleeves for the first time in his International career. If you have followed Ashwin's international career, he has never done this before because he does not bowl doosra but bowls that carrom ball. He just flicks that middle finger to turn the ball away from right handers and does not bend his arm too much. However, during that Asia cup match against Bangladesh, he bowled with that Sunil Narine action. This is why he was wearing the full sleeves and it did look like he was chucking the ball. This is the exact feeling I get when I watch Ajmal bowling that doosra or Sachitra Senanayke's bowling in general. It looks like they are just throwing the ball.

Indeed. Narine although he bowls with long sleeves, I have never had a problem with his action. He doesn't bowl the doosra, his variation is the carron/carrom ball (whatever you call it), which i believe Ashwin bowls too. That ball as we all know is a flick of the fingers (whichever one) instead of jerky elbow which is used to bowl the "doosra".

ICC should probably ban the doosra, since the carron/carrom ball, gives off-spinners the same variation & can be bowled without any issues.

Nice article on the matter here - India Cricket Features: R Ashwin: Nothing to hide | ESPN Cricinfo

IceAgeComing

Retired Administrator
Profile Flag
Scotland
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
I'm honestly excited about the potential of the in-match chucking tests the ICC are working on; provided that they don't change the rules to allow people who chuck to stay in. Perhaps make sure that the thing works: and then have it for six months/a year at every international match, but not making decisions but instead informing the player and the coach that they have a suspect action; allowing some work to be done before you start no balling people.

Something needs to be done though. I genuinely think that Murali wasn't a chucker; but because he was a freak of nature, every off spinner now tries to emulate what he did, and because they aren't Murali they chuck. Banning the doosra wouldn't help, if someone finds a way to bowl it with a straight arm, then they should go hog wild; but most can't. Look at this Senanayake guy; you can't tell me that he's not throwing the ball...

War

Chairman of Selectors
I'm honestly excited about the potential of the in-match chucking tests the ICC are working on; provided that they don't change the rules to allow people who chuck to stay in. Perhaps make sure that the thing works: and then have it for six months/a year at every international match, but not making decisions but instead informing the player and the coach that they have a suspect action; allowing some work to be done before you start no balling people.

Something needs to be done though. I genuinely think that Murali wasn't a chucker; but because he was a freak of nature, every off spinner now tries to emulate what he did, and because they aren't Murali they chuck. Banning the doosra wouldn't help, if someone finds a way to bowl it with a straight arm, then they should go hog wild; but most can't. Look at this Senanayake guy; you can't tell me that he's not throwing the ball...

Well as i mentioned before, i think you can ban the doosra & tell off-spinners to learn bowl the "carron ball" that Narin & Ashwin bowls instead.

Since just like doosra, the carron ball gives off-spinner the same variation of turning the ball away from the right handers & it can be bowl without a jerky looking action.

Aalay

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
So this image has been going viral on Twitter in last couple of days. This is Saeed Ajmal bowling against Essex last week. Apparently he also achieved his career best figure in first class cricket in that match.

BoJb42rIIAAYjTf.jpg

I also found one another picture in which his doosra action is mostly being highlighted.

BoLccIYCYAEAu9Y.jpg:large

War

Chairman of Selectors

Aalay

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
Oh, i didn't read that article. Broad might end up in some trouble for saying this now.

----------

And now Andrew Flintoff tweets the same things about Sachitra Senanayke.

166gd2s.jpg

ParkedTheBus

International Coach
Profile Flag
Australia
Why dont the English accept that Doosra is an important part of modern cricket?They could have had 2 of their own Ajmals if they let the 2 play :facepalm

War

Chairman of Selectors
Why is the doosra "important" to international cricket?

Aalay

Panel of Selectors
Profile Flag
India
I personally don't have any problem with doosra as long as they are bowled ithin the limit. I have said this before and going to say it again, whenever I see Senanayake bowl, it looks like he is chucking the ball. Same goes with Ajmal bowling his doosra. His action looks very dodgy as you can see from some of the pictures i have posted above. I know Ajmal has been cleared by ICC but then he might have bowled with a different action in the lab as Stuart Broad mentioned on his twitter account. If he is bowling with the action that is shown in the picture, I don't think he would have been cleared by ICC.

Ajmal did the same thing against WI in T20 WC in the last 3 overs. When he was getting hammered by Bravo and Sammy. He tried to bowl fast and sometimes it looked like he was chucking the ball. Shane Warne even indirectly mentioned that from the commentary box and I think I also have posted that somewhere in this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread