Story The Tasmanian Green to the Baggy Green? [UPDATED!! - Greetings from Warwickshire!]

Just read the total story matt. And next, whats your team.? I guess you'll fly up to Sydney. That'll be good move playing for your home state:)

banner-3.jpg

A Move?
I was sitting at home. Still. I was miserable. Still. I didn't have a job. Still. But I did have $500,000... Actually I had $200,000 of that left.

It was March and I had been doing nothing for the past 5 or so months since that very strange and forgettable encounter at Tasmania. I couldn't believe how messed up things were over there, and at first I didn't know how to answer the questions from my family, friends and press. It was hard to keep up the story that they couldnt afford me in their budget. Not to mention this mysterious $500,000 I found. I considered telling them I went into the business of selling myself, but it may not of worked well...

So the Australian summer had ended and I had nothing to do. I would be sitting around for another 6 months waiting for Grade cricket to start up, and I didn't know if I could handle that. I couldn't get what out happened out of my head. Were my team mates safe? Would the same thing happen to them? It was hard to tell.

Hi, I'm a phone! -rings-

"Matt! Can you answer that please?"

Oh yeah, did I mention I'm living with my mum?...

"Yeah whatever... Hello"
"Hi there, this is Colin Povey from Warwickshire cricket club, could I speak to Matt Coll please"
"Yeah, that's me mate."

What the hell? Was I about to get a contract offer from Warwickshire? Did I want this?

"Oh hello Matt. Pleased to talk to you. With the start of the English domestic season coming up, I've been doing some scouting and I noticed your bizzare happenings, and felt annoyed that such a talent has been wasted for 5 months. We think you need to be playing cricket, and we want you to be doing that with us."
"So you want someone like me to move to England and play with you guys?. I have family and friends back here and all."
"Yes I understand perfectly. But you are young still, and this could be a great opportunity for you. We've seen footage of you and like what we see."

"You wouldn't want a trial?"
"We want to offer you 22k for just the one season. Please consider it."

The money didn't matter, I was loaded at the moment. But how could this be? They were going to offer me a contract just like this? Wow.

"Mate this sounds awesome. But i've got to discuss this with my family though. Can you call back tomorrow?"
"Sure thing. Have a lovely day."
"It's nigh-"

He had hung up, probably a good thing, he might not of liked my cheeky comment :D

Great update mate, so, I guess you'll get geared up in Warwickshire colors soon. Good luck playing for english county team.

greetingsfromwarwickshire.png

Back in Blue.

I was back. Finally. Back where I felt most comfortable in life - A cricket field. I had met the Warwickshire boys for the first time then went off to train. It was a refreshing change, and I was glad I made the move already. I was lucky enough to be thrown a lifeline by Warwickshire and I was told I would get to play a bit, not just carry the drinks. Either way, it was good to be back in a cricket team.

The first game of the season was just a week away. A 4 day game against Glamorgan. It was at home though which was good. That meant I didn't have to do any extra traveling after just arriving in the country not long ago. We reached an agreement to my contract fairly quickly. I had decided not long after I got off the phone to Colin Povey that I wanted to give this a chance. To play in England would be a great experience.

Greetings from Warwickshire!

I will change the titles to "Greetings from Warwickshire" after the next update when people know its the same story haha.

Last edited:
I better be playing for Glamorgan :p In fact if you are you using my domestic roster I might actually be playing for them :laugh

Fraps stuffed up and none of my screenshots worked >_< . So no images this update.

greetingsfromwarwickshire.png

Warwickshire vs Glamorgan

It was time for the first game of the season. You could see the excitement in the fans faces, all 25 of them. It was magical.

I had been named in the starting line-up, in the number 5 position. I had trained well in the nets, but I was already told to expect to start. The pitch looked good for batting and Knight was eager to win the toss and get out there to bat. I wouldn't of minded having to field though to settle in a little more.

Knight went out to do the toss and returned 10 minutes later with the news.

"We're having a bat boys. It's a good pitch for batting, so all you batsmen won't want to miss out on this."

If anything, that made me more nervous. We were expected to do well on a pitch like this. I certainly didn't want to fail in my first innings for the club when the pitch was ideal for batting. But as it turned out, Knight and Wagh weren't having the easiest time on this pitch early.

Knights only managed to get an edge on the first ball he faced which luckily fell short of the slips. The next 5 overs were full of shaky shots and played and misses.

"Geez, what a start aye"
"Oh yeah. I'm definitely looking forward to getting out there!"
"Haha, you'll do fine. Hopefully these boys stick it out."
"It'll be a fair effort if they do."

But things did start to get easier, as Wagh and Knight hit a few boundaries. Runs started to flow a little more and Kaspa was getting thrown off his line. Knight played one of the best Back Foot on drives I have seen, which was a surprise after he could barely hit the ball just a few overs before. Knight raced to 17, and was just starting to look good before he lost his wicket.

A quality ball across his body drew him into the drive, but he only managed to edge it to 3rd slip. It's fair to say he wasn't happy with himself throwing his wicket away with such a poor shot.

"Ah, looks like its my turn now."
"Hah, good luck mate."

Warwickshire 1/33

Users who are viewing this thread