Story A Tiger's Tale

Do you like the new rules and will the Tigers make a final?

• Total voters
titlevc.png

matchn.png

Ford Ranger Cup 2nd innings

The two batsmen at the crease now decided now or never and took the batting powerplay, which could well settle the result of the match. South Australia really started to struggle as runs became hard to come by, thanks to great fielding discipline, as Tasmania bowled two maidens in a row. Cullen Bailey was the main suspect of the deteriorating run rate as he had a strike rate of a mere 13.04 with the powerplay basically over. This forced the batsmen of this partnership, Dan Christan, to get some runs fast, but he tried slashing at a wide Hilfenhaus bowl which he hit to point and was out for 26.

Now South Australia really needed their tailenders to produce some runs, something they haven?t done yet as they were at 7/185 with the run rate required creeping over 6. But the miracle didn?t seem to be happening as next over Bailey spooned one straight back to Faulkner, the bowler, and was out for 6 off 48 balls and now the match was all but over. Tasmania now brought back Doherty to try and get him his 5fer.

Which he did pretty quickly, bowling a quicker bowl which Haberfield didn?t judge and was clean bowled for 4. South Australia was now 9/189 and now Tasmania suddenly looked to be able to get the bonus point. The last two batsmen began to continue batting with Tasmania getting worried. But a few overs later, the Tigers got the last wicket as Putland edged one of Doherty, his 6th victim. South Australia ending up all out for 190 and losing by 70 runs, giving Tasmania the bonus point.

South Australia 190 all out lost by 70 runs
M.Klinger 58(47)
M.Cosgrove 43(30)
D.Christan 26(51)
X.Doherty 6.1-0-56-6
B.Hilfenhaus 10-3-20-1
B.Geeves 7-0-43-1

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
fox-sports-logo.jpg

Now we have Damien Fleming down on the ground with Tasmanian spinner, Xavier Doherty

damienfleming.png
Yes! Thanks guys, down here with me is the man of the match Xavier Doherty. Now Xavier, you went for nearly 10 runs an over, good performance or bad?

xavierdoherty.png
It was a bad performance but good at the same time if you know what I mean. I think most of my wickets were from the batsmen just trying to slap me, not my brilliant bowling

damienfleming.png
Ok, you?ve just confused the hell out of me! The boys must be rapped with the trip which have seen you guys take away maximum points?

xavierdoherty.png
Yeah it?s an impressive way to start the season. Usually we?re not very good travellers so it was good that we won. The coaching staff said previous to the games that if we lose, then we?d have to walk home. It turned out to be true when Jason Krejza laughed at it and was forced to walk home. That?s the reason why he didn?t play today, he needed to start walking!

damienfleming.png
I remember when South Africa used to do that to their rising star players. Unfortunately they had a shocking tour of England. Anyway, now it?s off to Brisbane for you guys to play a one day match and a Shield game.

xavierdoherty.png
Yeah, but firstly we?ll head off back home and get ready and refreshed to try and get a really good start into the competition. It does sometimes get hard when your travelling, especially when your losing but I think the boys are mentally strong enough to overcome this, and also Brett Geeves terrible jokes.

damienfleming.png
Now, do you think you can get into the Australian side?

xavierdoherty.png
I hope so. I?ll be trying to push in the limited format, and who knows with the new system.

damienfleming.png
Well, thanks for chatting with us, good luck in future matches.

inningsbreaks.png

1copyq.png

24589318.png

Queensland vs Tasmania Ford Ranger Cup Preview
A Tigers Tale

The Tigers travel to Brisbane after their dominating display again the Redbacks where they defeated them in both the Shield and One Day games comfortable. But the undefeated Bulls will be a much tougher task. With Victoria and New South Wales just back from the Champions League, this will be Queensland’s fourth match already this summer. Just last week the Bulls posted two wins on the board. Firstly demolishing The Redbacks to get a bonus point and then narrowly winning against the Warriors.

Queensland, similar to Tasmania, hasn’t had too much change with the new rules of the competition. Only the addition of James Hopes and Ryan Harris, and even then neither of them are in the test squad. The Bulls just have a solid line-up, with the likes off Reardon, Carseldine, Hartley, Simpson and also their fearful fast bowling attack of Cutting, Rimmington, Laughlin and also Harris.

This will be a great battle, especially when Tasmania’s top class batting order bats against the Bulls potentially international class bowling line-up. Another factor is that of Xavier Doherty. Usually he’s pretty economical, but against the Redbacks they went after him as he went at 10 an over, but still got six wickets. Will the Bulls try the same tactics, or just try and play him out?

Players to watch
Chris Simpson
The Bulls captain is having a brilliant summer so far. The last two games he’s been man of the match. The mainly batting all-rounder has proven that he can be Queensland’s main spinner, taking 4/32 in the South Australian game. Can he trouble the Tasmania’s, who aren’t that well against spin, batting line-up if the fast bowlers fail? Or can he save the match for the Bulls in the batting department? Or Both? That’s the beauty of having a good all-rounder.

Ricky Ponting
Yet to really have a big score, he’ll be looking to get one soon. Arguable the world’s best batsmen, the Gabba is a bogey ground for Ponting. Queensland will be looking to get his out early as when he gets going, he’s almost unstoppable. The pressure is on him to perform and retain his national duties, especially with players all around him posting big scores.

Tigers XI
Michael Dighton
Tim Paine
Ricky Ponting
Travis Birt
George Bailey
Rhett Lockyear
James Faulkner
Xavier Doherty
Brett Geeves
Brendan Drew
Ben Hilfenhaus

No changes have been made to the team that defeated South Australia in their last match. Selection is tight though with players like Krejza, Cowan, Butterworth, Griffith and Doolan all trying to push themselves into the XI.

68486859.png

Last edited:
Fixed, I was going to also add the other matches and the tables, but it bloody froze on me! Oh well, will post it tommorow. Also BTW, no updates for at least a wekk as I'll be in Sydney for Nationals.

titlevc.png

Other Matches
Ford Ranger Cup @ Gabba
Queensland 5/242 off 50 overs
C.Simpson 63(91)
G.Batticciotto 57*(83)
N.Reardon 49(49)
C.Bailey 10-0-45-2
G.Putland 10-0-41-1
S.Tait 10-0-48-1

South Australia 9/193 off 50 overs lost by 49 runs
C.Ferguson 44(54)
D.Harris 24(57)
C.Simpson 10-2-32-4
J.Hopes 10-1-26-2
B.Cutting 10-0-53-2

Match Summary: The Bulls batted first on a flat batting track and built a solid target of 242 thanks to some great middle order batting. South Australia started shaky, losing some early wickets but then started to re-build. That was until the Bulls Skipper, Chris Simpson, came on to bowl and dismantled the lower order, taking 4/32. In the end South Australia gave Queensland the bonus point when they needed one run off the last ball but got bowled.

Ford Ranger Cup @ Gabba
Western Australia 6/230 off 50 overs
A.Voges 86(93)
L.Ronchi 48(53)
A.Noffke 38*(57)
J.Hopes 10-0-39-3
N.Rimmington 10-1-26-2
C.Simpson 10-0-42-1

Queensland 5/234 off 49.5 overs won by 5 wickets
C.Simpson 51*(60)
L.Carseldine 51(69)
N.Reardon 36(56)
A.Heal 10-1-39-2
M.Johnson 10-0-39-2
S.Magoffin 9.5-0-46-1

Match Summary: The Warrior had a terrible start, losing three wickets in the first ten overs. But they had a good comeback thanks to a terrific knock by Voges, who was unlucky not to get a ton, to get the Warriors up to a defendable total of 230. The Bulls started off on the back foot, losing a few early wickets. The run rate was slow but Reardon and Carseldine helped re-build the innings. But they both went with still a few more runs needed. Chris Simpson though batted brilliantly to back up his fantastic bowling from the other day to guide his side to victory on the second last ball.

Sheffield Shield @ Adelaide Oval
Victoria 119 all out off 35.4 overs
A.McDonald 32(36)
C.White 22(44)
D.Christan 8-0-21-4
P.George 9.4-4-16-2
J.Haberfield 6-1-18-2

South Australia 303 all out off 87.4 overs
M.Klinger 50(71)
C.Ferguson 49(72)
D.Harris 46(91)
P.Siddle 19.4-5-41-3
D.Nannes 19-3-58-3
B.McGain 19-0-81-2

Victoria 96 all out off 49.1 overs lost by an innings and 90 runs
B.McGain 21(83)
P.George 12-4-27-5
J.Haberfield 7.1-3-8-4
D.Christan 7-2-21-1

Match Summary: Victoria got sent in to bat on a damp pitch, green pitch. The ball was skidding low and the bowlers took full advantage, ripping through the top order. McDonald and White looked to steer the innings back on track, but as they fell, the tail collapsed to be bowled out for only 119. The Redbacks did the opposite to the Bushrangers as they got a brilliant start thanks to Harris and Klinger. Ferguson though couldn?t really get any support from other batsmen, but still they reached 303 as the tail wagged. Victoria?s second innings was worse than their first as George and Haberfield destroyed the whole line-up. At one stage Victoria were 7-25, but McGain, alongside with other tail-enders, batted well but still Victoria ended up all out for 96, losing by an innings and 90 runs. The match was all over before tea on day 2.

sheffieldtablecopy.png
fordrangertablecopy.png

Great presentation and writing Covvy!!!
Love your use of colours, and the table at the bottom of the previous post.
KIU!!!

Wow, superb presentation you have got going here Covvy, those tables are immense.

I didn't know you could do domestic matches on AC

Thanks guys for the support, I guess I still got a trick up my sleeve from the old graphic days. The Table I did from scratch and is really simple.

Don't expect too many updates soon though guys as I'm in a busy part of the year and haven't even started the QLD game yet, and won't do probably till next week minimum.

I didn't know you could do domestic matches on AC

I made a roster for it, damn annoying but well worth it.

titlevc.png

matchj.png
Ford Ranger Cup- First Innings

Blue skies and hot temperatures met the players as they entered the field. It was a flat and dry wicket, a batting paradise. So it wasn?t a hard choice when George Bailey won the toss and elected to bat first. Michael Dighton and Tim Paine, the two opening batsmen, survived the first over from the Bulls as they put together a solid start and a good base for the innings.

But their partnership came to an abrupt end when Dighton pushed one towards cover and took off, only to be send back by Paine. But it was too late as Rimmington swooped on the ball and gave a direct hit, the umpire not even needing the 3rd umpire to decide as Dighton fell for a good looking 22(34) and the end of a good opening partnership of 35.

Arguable the best batsmen in the world, Ricky Ponting came strolling out to the pitch looking calm and relaxed despite getting a rough reception from the hostile Brisbane crowd. He took his mark as Hopes came charging in and?..Bang! A brilliant pull shot raced to the boundary for four. Another pull shot a few balls later and Ponting was on fire.

The next few overs were full of brilliant cover drives, elegant on drives and demolishing pulls by the Australian captain. But at the other end Paine was struggling to get his shots right. It cost him his wicket in the 14th over when he tried to cover drive a Cutting ball, but instead ballooned it towards cover who took it comfortable to send Paine on his way for 20(36) with Tasmania now 2/63.

But once again the Bulls could not get quick wickets and get on a roll. This time Travis Birt was the culprit, having a nice start whilst Ponting also slowed down a bit. The runs were still flowing over though as the partnership grew and grew as Queensland brought back their strike bowlers to try and remove this partnership.

And it almost worked, had it not been for the fieldsman. Ponting once again tried to smack another pull shot for four, but this time top edged it to mid wicket. There was no fielder there though, but mid on had enough time to just get under it?.and drop it after doing all the hard work. Ponting now was looking to hurt the Bulls for their missed opportunity as the next over he brought up his half-century at a run a ball.

Ponting wasn?t stopping there though as him, along side with Birt, continued to frustrate the bowlers. Soon enough the 100 run partnership came up as Ponting was well on his way to a century. That was until he got out. The experienced James Hopes bowled a brilliant slower ball which fooled Ponting as he skied one up for cover to take another wicket and end Ponting?s outstanding innings of 70(74).

Tasmania 3/169 off 29.3 overs
R.Ponting 70(74)
T.Birt 36*(49)
M.Dighton 22(34)
J.Hopes 6.3-0-36-1
B.Cutting 7-0-47-1

inningsbreak.png

Users who are viewing this thread