Story A Tiger's Tale

Do you like the new rules and will the Tigers make a final?

• Total voters

Covvy

Panel of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
titlevc.png

matchn.png

Day 1, Session 2

The Tigers began very cautiously after lunch, not trying to lose any more wickets would be vital for the first half an hour. They were going at around 2 an over after the break and the home crowd was getting impatient. Soon enough Michael Dighton brought up his hard fought 50 off 129 thanks to a brilliant cover drive for four. So far during his and Tim Paine’s innings, neither of them has hit a single ball in the air, showing great control. Manou soon decided to try spin to break the partnership, but Dan Cullen started to go at four an over as the Tigers started to rebuild their innings. After a few more overs by Cullen, Manou went the opposite and tried the speed of Shaun Tait to get rid of them.

Immediately it seemed as id it was going to work as second ball he got Dighton to edge one, but luckily for the Tigers it didn’t carry. But that was the only chance the Redbacks could get as both Paine and Dighton played brilliantly but still cautiously. Tait was starting to get very frustrated and he began to get a bit more erratic, leaking plenty of runs. Then he started to go over the mark as he went for 16 in two overs. Things were looking better for the Tigers until…

Disaster! Another run out had occurred! This time Dighton was on strike and Tait bowled a bouncer. Dighton got an inside edge as it trickled down to leg slip. Paine immediately called for the run, but then realised Graeme Manou had moved quick and already had the bowl in hand. So Paine screamed out no to Dighton, but it was too late. Dighton quickly doubled back and almost got there, having only Manou to have a direct hit. Michael Dighton, the brick wall in the Tassie innings was gone for 70 off 189 balls.

The new man in was Jason Krezja, a handy batsmen. Tim Paine took over as the main man in as him and Krezja still kept the runs flowing. As it began to get closer to tea both batsmen agreed that they should play until tea and not lose another wicket. So they managed the last five overs with scoring only 6 runs. The Tigers in some trouble now.

Tasmania 5/186 off 60 overs
M.Dighton 70 (189)
T.Paine 42*(117)
G.Bailey 32(49)
S.Tait 14-2-43-2
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
fox-sports-logo.jpg

Now we have Brendan Julian down with Tasmanian’s highest run scorer so far, Michael Dighton

BJ: Thanks, now Michael, what happened out there?

MD: Yeah, not too sure Timmy called for the run and it was his call so I obliged only to find him turning back the other way when I was half-way down the pitch.

BJ: Are you anger at Tim Paine?

MD: Um, I’ll get over it. The contest is far from over and hopefully he and Jas can put together a partnership and hopefully we can get around 300.

BJ: Just imagine that though. You’re all set to reach a century in front of everybody’s eyes and your partner runs you out. You must be anger!

MD: Nah, life goes on

BJ: If something happened like that to me I would seriously punch the guy that did it in the face

MD: Yeah but you’re a Western Australian.

dighton.png

Michael Dighton during his 70

Last edited:

Aditya

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Good knock from Dighton.

Common Tim get a century and help Tassie to get a big score.

Anyways nice update Covvy,KIU.

hedger_14

ICC Chairman
Yeah. That was a good one. I hope Paine gets his century. Apart from Bailey and Cowan, he's the only Tassie player I like.

Covvy

Panel of Selectors
titlevc.png

matchn.png

Day 1, Session 3

After few overs after tea Tim Paine soon brought up his half-century off 133 balls, still without hitting a single ball in the air. A few more overs later and he and Krejza’s partnership went past the fifty mark. They were very much comfortable with Krejza just trying to stay in. Having said that, he was scoring more than what Paine was doing. They were still going along at an average run rate, but more importantly not getting out. In the 73rd over Paine pushed one towards cover, he immediately went off for a single. He went quickly, but if the ball hit the stumps, he was a goner. But luckily it missed and he survived.

A few over later Paine edged one of Tait to second slip. It was a relatively straight forward catch, but the fieldsman spilled it, dropped on 73. Now Paine was looking to cost the Redbacks of their chance. South Australia were trying everything to get rid of the pair and soon went ahead and tried Callum Ferguson. Many thought it was a stupid move but Manou believed otherwise. His first over went for a respective 2 and that was all me was going to ball with the new ball due, or so we thought.

Manou took the new ball, but gave Ferguson another over. It was a huge mistake with Paine and Krejza taking 13 off it. But the next over Krejza’s luck ran out. He inside edged a Peter George delivery which went back onto the stumps, an extremely unlucky dismissal. So finally the partnership was broken, Krejza gone for 38 off a mighty 96 balls. James Faulkner was the new man in, a handy all rounder but more of a bowler. Manou tried one more over of Ferguson but Paine took advantage moving into the nervous 90’s.

Shaun Tait was bowling and immediately Paine latched onto a smashing cut shot to bring him up to 98. A few dot balls followed as the pressure mounted, but the next ball was too full as Paine blasted it away for two runs and a well-deserved century off 208 late on day 1. Paine didn’t celebrate a lot, knowing his job wasn’t done yet as the crowd gave a small, polite round of applause. But the job did just get harder as Faulkner got run-out/stumped, officially a run out. He was on strike and played and missed the ball, Manou threw the ball at the stumps and hit them and appealed. The umpire went to the third umpire and Faulkner was standing outside his crease, a sloppy bit of work. He was gone for 2 and the new man in is Brett Geeves with Tasmania 7/288.

With only one over left in the days play, Tasmania was looking to settle down and try and add a few more runs tomorrow. But another disaster occurred, with only 2 balls remaining in the day, Geeves left one alone and Manou once again threw it at the stumps and the exact same thing happened again! Geeves was well outside the crease, gone for 1 and been very annoyed with himself. Brendan Drew had the honours of facing the last ball. The crowd cheered in Tait as he bowled a vicious bouncer that hit Drew fair in the ribs, definitely showing a bruise tomorrow.

Tasmania 296/8 off 90 overs
T.Paine 105*(218)
M.Dighton 70(186)
J.Krejza 38(96)
S.Tait 24-6-68-2
P.George 27-7-64-1

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

fox-sports-logo.jpg

Now we have BJ and Blewy on the boundary for their views on the match so far.

GB: Yes, what an extraordinary day it has. The Redbacks having a brilliant start thanks to Shaun Tait but then a bit of lucky batting by the Tigers, in-particular Tim Paine and Michael Dighton, put them back into the match. But South Australia, like they always do, pulled back and relied on the opposition to make the mistakes.

BJ: So what, you’re saying Tim Paine and Michael Dighton were lucky in their innings? I don’t really agree with you on this one. I thought they really out-played the Redback bowlers.

GB: No way! They were very lucky, they were getting all the right decisions from the umpires and they were always hitting it into the air.

BJ: You do realise Blewy that they didn’t hit a single shot in the air, and not one LBW appeal was made?

GB: Yeah, but that’s what it looks like not how it is. Anyway, just proving you wrong once again BJ, I think the Redbacks will sweep up the tail quickly tomorrow and then have a solid lead by the end of tomorrow.

BJ: Yeah, not too sure. Brendan Drew can hang around for a while and Paine’s still in so the Redbacks will have to be careful not to let more runs past.

GB: So, BJ, who’ll be the batsmen to score centuries tomorrow? I reckon it’ll be Klinger, Cosgrove, Ferguson, Christian and Manou.

BJ: If you’re not too careful it’ll be Brendan Drew, Tim Paine and Ben Hilfenhaus. My predictions tomorrow are that Tasmania will add on a few more runs then South Australia will go alright at the start but then a middle order collapse.

GB: I reckon the game will be finished tommorow.

79857138.png

Tim Paine During his 105*

Last edited:

Covvy

Panel of Selectors
titlevc.png

matchn.png
Day 2, Session 1

Tim Paine looked to go aggressive right from ball one and try to increase the score. After flicking the ball away for two on the first ball, the second ball he was gone. Paine hit a poorly timed lofted shot off the bowling of Cullen straight to cover for him to be out on 107 off 220 balls. He got a standing applause by the Adelaide crowd on a grand innings. Ben Hilfenhaus was the last batsmen in as Brendan Drew started to tr to hit every ball for 6. But shortly he edged one of Cullen and Manou took a good catch to get the Tigers all out for 303.

Tasmania 303 All Out off 92.1 overs
T.Paine 107(220)
M.Dighton 70(186)
J.Krejza 38(96)
S.Tait 25-6-73-2
D.Cullen 18.1-1-77-2
P.George 27-7-64-1

So now it was the Redbacks turn to bat, looking to get a much better start than what the Tigers did. Ben Hilfenhaus, the leading wicket taker in the Ashes, was opening the bowling for Tasmania. Youngster James Smith and the newly Michael Klinger were the two openers for the Redbacks as the crowd gave them an almighty cheer. They started of aggressive, with a four. Hilfenhaus was bowling a good line but the batsmen were putting him all over the park. They did exactly the same the Geeves the next over to be 0/15 off 2 overs. Hilfenhaus was becoming too expensive so George Bailey took him off after a long discussion with Ponting. The new man, Drew, along side Geeves steadied the run rate down to three and over, but still no early wicket.

In the 12th over a rare chance came. James Faulkner was brought on for Geeves and he bowled a few looseners then a poor bowl which James Smith nicked to Ricky Ponting at slip, in what should have been a regulation catch, Ponting?s horror game continued as he spilled the bowl much to the disgust of the bowler. After that the two batsmen hade another little spurt of runs to make the partnership reach 50.

Both batsmen looked comfortable and set for a big score. Tasmania desperately wanted that vital wicket before lunch. But still no luck and with 15 minutes to go, Krejza got brought on. He didn?t get any wickets but the signs looked promising on an already cracking pitch that spin will be a big factor later on in the test. Another thing to please the quicks was that it just started to swing a bit before lunch. But so far the Redbacks are on top at lunch.

South Australia 0/91 off 27 overs
J.Smith 44*(84)
M.Klinger 42*(83)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
fox-sports-logo.jpg

Now we have the century man down on the ropes with BJ, none other than Tim Paine.

BJ: Yes, now Tim, firstly well done on the century. It must be a good way to start to the season?

TP: Yeah it?s always nice to get a century, especially on the first day of the season, but we have plenty of work to do to get back into the game.

BJ: So what?s the play of attack for after lunch?

TP: Basically to get wickets obviously. They?ve had a great start to their innings, especially compared to our start but we got good bowlers and hopefully we can peg it back.

BJ: When Krejza came on we saw a lot of spin. Is it really doing a lot?

TP: Yeah it?s spinning an absolute mile out there so it?s a pity we?ve only come with the one spinner. But I reckon there?s some swing there for the bowlers, it might even start to reverse out there.

BJ: You?ve just come back from playing with the Australian side in England due to Haddin been injured, and currently I?d say you?re leading the race to become keeper. Have you been thinking about that much?

TP: It was a fantastic opportunity to play for Australia and I do hope it happens again and we do definitely have more of a chance now with the new rules but first things first and Tasmania comes first so I?m just focused on doing well and helping us win.

BJ: Ok, thanks for talking it us, one last question are you looking forward to the school holidays? Are you in high school yet?

*Connection lost*

190388-michael-klinger.jpg

Michael Klinger hitting another four during his opening partnership

Aditya

ICC Board Member
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Wow! Tim Paine got century. Tasmania were able to get respective total now lets see how South Australia plays. They have got good start. Tasmania desperately needs a wicket.

Covvy

Panel of Selectors
titlevc.png

matchn.png

Day 2, Session 2

Soon after lunch James smith brought up his half-century off 100 balls and also the team 100. The next over Klinger also brought up his half-century off 106 balls. The Redbacks are really cruising along and ball-by-ball they get closer to the Tigers total. Jason Krejza began to get very expensive, giving away easy boundaries. But George Bailey still sticks with him. The Tigers were getting frustrated in the field and the captain started to run out of ideas, the batsmen were looking very dangerous.

But suddenly there was a chance. James Smith got a healthy edge of the bowling of Geeves to second slip. It was a pretty hard catch to make but still gettable but it wasn?t to be for the Tigers as he dropped it. How costly was that drop going to be? Brett Geeves then followed up with some brilliant bowling, but the batsmen were up for the task, still no wicket as the partnership goes past 150 thanks to a massive six by Klinger over mid on.

Krejza was now beginning to bowl a bit better, tempting the batsmen to have a swing. And that?s what Klinger did, but he missed the ball and the bails got whipped off, the umpire had to go to the third umpire. It was very close, extremely close by Klinger just got his foot back inside the crease before Paine could get the bails off. Klinger was now into his 90?s.

Bailey brought Michael Dighton on for a try to break up this partnership. But it didn?t help a lot as Klinger now moved on 99. But Klinger seemed to be very nervous. He was definitely taking a lot of time to get that run as over after over of maiden?s were bowled. One more over was left until tea, Ben Hilfenhaus was on to try and get him out.

First ball was pushed towards square leg, a chance of a run but a mix-up happened and still no run. The other 5 were all temping balls outside off stump but Klinger didn?t try and hit them. So now it?s tea?oh no wait, the umpires say one more over can be bowl. So Faulkner it is with Smith on strike. The first ball went for a single so now Klinger had his chance. And he gets his century thanks to a leg glance for four. That 100 came up off 173 balls.

South Australia 0/184 off 57 Overs Trail By 119
M.Klinger 107*(177)
J.Smith 68*(174)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

fox-sports-logo.jpg

Now we have the centurion, Michael Klinger, on the ropes with Greg Blewett.

GB: Yes! That?s right we have the legend himself, Michael Klinger, who battled through the harshest of conditions and played magnificently for a century, and he?s still not out! So how many more runs are you going to make?

MK: I?m not too sure, a few more I hope. Hopefully me and James can keep this partnership up and really bury this match.

GB: I reckon you?ll get a triple century by the end of today. Anyway, how are the conditions like out there?

MK: It?s alright. Not too hot out there and the pitch is starting to crack slightly.

GB: Ok, so what lead will you try to get before you declare?

MK: Not sure, you?ll have to ask the captain, but I?ll just keep batting hopefully.

GB: Well there you have to folks, Michael Klinger, the mighty South Australian warrior pulling of a brilliant century.

MK; Um, I?m still a Victorian you know?

Sheffield+Shield+Bushrangers+v+Redbacks+Day+qmr5gVOLvLwl.jpg

Michael Klinger Brings up his Century

Users who are viewing this thread