Story The West Indies down under [BLIC]

Huegel

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Hello all.

I'm going to attempt my first story, by covering the Windies in New Zealand.
Wish me luck. :)
The series will consist of 3 Tests and 2 ODI's in New Zealand, using channel 4 for coverage.

Last edited:
c4oi2.jpg

Hello and welcome to channel 4 cricket.
nicholaslargekh1.jpg
17ianhq9.jpg

I'm Mark Nicholas and with me, i'm delighted to welcome Ian Bishop to the team. Channel 4 are excited to be able to bring you full coverage of the West Indies tour of New Zealand. We will be bringing you both of the Tests between New Zealand and the West Indies, as well as the two limited over One Dayers.

teamszr5.jpg

The line up, for you cricket fans, looks like this:

28th September - 3rd October - 1st Test Auckland

8th October - 1st ODI Dunedin

18th October - 2nd ODI Christchurch

30th October - 4th November 2nd Test Wellington

20th November - 25th November 3rd Test Dunedin

venuetk0.jpg

M: Today, we're in the beautiful city of Sails, Auckland. It's a scorcher of a day here at Eden Park, the temperature is well into the 30s and it feels muggy. We're not really sure what the weather's going to do, talking to a chap on the way here today, he assured me it would be pouring down later. So, this should be an exciting match. We're here in the middle, let's take a look at the track.
Ian, what do you make of it?

04bangaloresk1.jpg

I: Well, it looks as though the pitch is already cracking due to the high temperatures we've had here in Auckland recently and that is going to be key. You need to win the toss here to take full advantage of the conditions.

M: Thanks Ian.
I have both captains with me so before we make the toss, a quick word with them.

M: Excuse me if i talk first to Brian, er, Stephen. So Brian, eager for this one? Your team ready?
B: Absolutely, this is our last test series before the World Cup and New Zealand will, i'm sure, give us a tough challenge.
M: Yes indeed and looking at this pitch, it looks like a vital toss to win.
B: I should say so, especially with the weather being so unpredictable.
M: And turning to you Stephen, what's the mood amongst the Kiwi camp? Feeling excited or intimidated having the West Indians here on home soil?
S: Oh mate, let me tell you. It's a great feeling playing at home against such a great team as the West Indies, we're all really excited.
Well, in that case, let's not hold up proceedings any further.
Here is the coin toss.

cointossgh0.jpg

U: Stephen, you have the call.
S: Tails.
U: It is a Tail.

M: So, New Zealand have won the toss. Stephen, what are you going to do?
S: Well, we're gonna have a bowl mate. We're pretty sure with these conditions and Danny in good form, we can do some early damage. It's been pretty hot but overhead right now, it's looking far from certain, plus with the pitch already being cracked a lot, it's another reason why we've decided to bowl, give danny a go early and see what happens.
M: Well Brain, you said it was a vital toss to win. You lost, worried?
B: No, we would have liked to have won the toss, but I still think we stand a great chance. Should be a great match.

great start mate,i love the presentation
but i think you might have forgoten to post the teams?

Good start at ur story mate.... Good luck :happy!!!

Thanks for all the encouragement guys! Appreciate it! :)

======================================================
So, before the match begins, let's have a look at the two team's line ups.

nzteamus6.jpg
windieslineupsq2.jpg

Play starts at 10:30

Opening Bowlers

sbrx0.jpg
dvrq6.jpg

Bond opens the NZ attack, along with Vettori from the opposing end. Bond is doing a great job pressurising the WI openers, however Danny Vittori is not as accurate as he is normally and his loose deliveries are being punished by Joseph, who has already started to get the upper hand and has scored 3 boundaries in just 7 overs, helping to put pressure on the New Zealand captain.

The sky is begining to darken and the crowd are settling down for the start 8th over, the 4th over of Bond's spell.
Bond steams in, the ball pitches up wildly as it makes contact with one of the gaping cracks. It catches Joseph by surprise and within moments, in an amazing display of athletisism, Bond catches the ball, which has come streaking back towards him. The New Zealand fans erupt as he throws the ball high into the air, which is followed moments later by the umpire's crooked finger of doom!

The first breakthrough.

josephsdismissaluc6.jpg

Just 34 minutes after the start of play, Joseph is on his way back to the pavillion.

Sylvester Joseph 17 (22) Caught and Bowled by S. Bond

New man in: Ramnaresh Sarwan.

2ndmancc2.jpg

Last edited:
this is a fantastic story mate,good breakthrough for new zealand,its weird how danny vettori is the other opening bowler?
keep up the great work mate:)

Nice Daniel Vettori face you got there :)

I like the simple presentation.

Bad start for the West Indies though.

:cheers

The next 3 overs are uneventful, the two New Zealanders are managing to keep the runs scored at around 2 an over and, as the 11th over arrives, Stephen Fleming passes the ball on to one of his medum pacer, Jacob Oram, replacing Bond.

The crowd quieten down as he begins his run up for his first over of the day.

His first ball is deadly accurate, it pitches just outside off stump.
It is a full blooded inswinger, which passes by Gayle's defensive stroke, continuing on and taking middle stump with it. Gayle stands frozen to the spot as the death rattle signifies the unexpected end of his innings!

39200851gayle150jh4.jpg

Gayle falls foul of Oram

gayleoutmk9.jpg

41059050adelaide300od4.jpg

New man in: Brian Lara

I: The New Zealanders seem to be unstoppable at the moment. When you get a breakthrough, invariably, another wicket follows soon after and that seems to have held true here. This is just the start that the West Indies didn't need.

M: Well indeed Bish, this has been a fantastic start for New Zealand, it really could spell trouble in paradise for the Carribean team. In just under an hour, New Zealand have managed to dismiss both of the West Indian openers, but now face the world's record holder: Brian Lara.
Ian, what do you think is going through the captains' minds now?

I: Well, I'm pretty sure that Stephen Fleming is feeling fairly pleased with himself right now. He won the toss and his decision has so far paid off, but i'm really disappointed with Daniel Vettori's performance and I think that that will be giving Brian Lara some grounds for optimism. As long as he can contain the fast bowlers, he can try to exploit Vettori's lack of form and help keep the West Indies in the game.

M: Vettori seems to have been an odd choice for an opener alright Bish. Well, we'll have to see how it pans out as the day progresses.
It's 36-2

This looks like a brilliant start, keep it up mate!

Saltires said:
what level are u playing on on BLIC?

BTW nice story, great presentation!

Thanks a lot! :)

I'm playing on county level. Dunno why but it has always seemed more challenging on county than on Test level. :eek:

Big wicket for the Kiwis. Windies need a partnership or they could be in trouble :(.

Nice simple presentation. You might want to put headings at the start of each update, just a suggestion :).

:cheers

Users who are viewing this thread