Review This game is fully scripted no real physics at all!!!

Allrounder, you mention Cricket 07, but I remember seeing screenshots/videos of the ball passing entirely through the bat, and also missing the bat by inches and 'being hit'. If ever there was an example of 'scripting' it is this! Their shots work in a way that means that there is a random (i.e. totally out of the user's control) chance that you might edge the ball for a given shot. The likelihood of the edge is different for different shots and different timings, but it's still out of your control.

I think the AC09 method of having the edges determined by your timing much fairer, and more realistic. For example, if you're early on a cover drive you're likely to inside edge it, and if you're late, likely to outside edge it. There is a good deal of balancing which needs to be done to improve the game, but I think they're on the right lines.

Hopefully with our input and help it'll get better every year (or two) and also better with any patch released (or not released as the case may be!)

Allrounder, you mention Cricket 07, but I remember seeing screenshots/videos of the ball passing entirely through the bat, and also missing the bat by inches and 'being hit'. If ever there was an example of 'scripting' it is this! Their shots work in a way that means that there is a random (i.e. totally out of the user's control) chance that you might edge the ball for a given shot. The likelihood of the edge is different for different shots and different timings, but it's still out of your control.

I think the AC09 method of having the edges determined by your timing much fairer, and more realistic. For example, if you're early on a cover drive you're likely to inside edge it, and if you're late, likely to outside edge it. There is a good deal of balancing which needs to be done to improve the game, but I think they're on the right lines.

Hopefully with our input and help it'll get better every year (or two) and also better with any patch released (or not released as the case may be!)

Not to mention the fact that edges only ever happened in Cricket 07 if there were slips present and they always went straight to the fielder. That's what you call scripted! Oh and didn't you notice how, in it's unmodded state, shots more often than not found the fielder in Ckt 07? In AC09, edges happen regardless of whether or not there's a fielder, or where the fielder is - which is why you get edges going for four sometimes. I have no doubt that all that needs to be done is the edges given more momentum (which'll probably tie into the bounce off the pitch as well).

Yea C07 was definitely poorly scripted but the point I am trying to raise is that instead of triggering CERTAIN ANIMATIONS which result in stupid bowled/lbws/missing the ball they could have gone old school BLIC 07/C07 way of FACILITATING THE BALL TRAJECTORY and MOVING THE BATSMEN TOWARDS THE BALL atleast it would result in more satisfaction after getting the wicket
I agree the edge system is brilliant (may be they need to tinker it a bit more)
but bowling and to some extent batting has to be revamped for the next version.

Allrounder18 added 1 Minutes and 35 Seconds later...

Not to mention the fact that edges only ever happened in Cricket 07 if there were slips present and they always went straight to the fielder. That's what you call scripted! Oh and didn't you notice how, in it's unmodded state, shots more often than not found the fielder in Ckt 07? In AC09, edges happen regardless of whether or not there's a fielder, or where the fielder is - which is why you get edges going for four sometimes. I have no doubt that all that needs to be done is the edges given more momentum (which'll probably tie into the bounce off the pitch as well).

From what I have understand edges in cricket 07 are based on random function taking bowling and batting ability in to account plus random edge producer from the config file and not the actual position of the ball or shot selected by the batsman.

Last edited:
Yea C07 was definitely poorly scripted but the point I am trying to raise is that instead of triggering CERTAIN ANIMATIONS which result in stupid bowled/lbws/missing the ball they could have gone old school BLIC 07/C07 way of FACILITATING THE BALL TRAJECTORY and MOVING THE BATSMEN TOWARDS THE BALL atleast it would result in more satisfaction after getting the wicket
I agree the edge system is brilliant (may be they need to tinker it a bit more)
but bowling and to some extent batting has to be revamped for the next version.

Allrounder18 added 1 Minutes and 35 Seconds later...

From what I have understand edges in cricket 07 are based on random function taking bowling and batting ability in to account plus random edge producer from the config file and not the actual position of the ball or shot selected by the batsman.

You played Ckt 07, yes? I played it extensively and modded or not, I never saw an edge unless it went straight to a fielder.

You played Ckt 07, yes? I played it extensively and modded or not, I never saw an edge unless it went straight to a fielder.

I have played C07 extensively and had plenty of edges that went into gaps (well with my own patches anyway) :D

I have played C07 extensively and had plenty of edges that went into gaps (well with my own patches anyway) :D

Now I come to think of it, there was a very good 'edges' patch, but out of the box is what I'm focusing on right now.

Are you high? I never commented on the edges direction, from ball position I was referring to the pitch point and believe me I played the game more extensively than you.

How can you possibly know how much I played the game??

Now I come to think of it, there was a very good 'edges' patch, but out of the box is what I'm focusing on right now.

How can you possibly know how much I played the game??

Well may be not but thats just the way to tell that I have also played the game extensively.

Allrounder18 added 1 Minutes and 23 Seconds later...

This is getting stupid.... how can you even make this statement!

When you run out of things to say, you cant just insult someone!

When he said have you played C07? I found insult in that too specially because I had just posted edges function of that game.

Last edited:
Well may be not but thats just the way to tell that I have also played the game extensively.

Allrounder18 added 1 Minutes and 23 Seconds later...

When he said have you played C07? I found insult in that too specially because I had just posted edges function of that game.

Forgive me mate if I am being opportunistic, but if you know so much of the games programming fundamentals etc. cant you try and patch the games AI, runout bug and make it a better game for every one!!!! You?ll become everyone?s hero in a day or two

Forgive me mate if I am being opportunistic, but if you know so much of the games programming fundamentals etc. cant you try and patch the games AI, runout bug and make it a better game for every one!!!! You?ll become everyone?s hero in a day or two

Ameen to that :P

By the way Cricket 07 was more like Matrix. As lazy_chestnut and MasterBlaster bros said, the ball used to pass the bat and then defy gravity, come back to the bat's 6 animation and fly off towards the crowd. Poor animation was why Codemasters always beat EA in cricket games in last 5 years. One thing good about Codemasters' cricket games is that the collision system looks realistic you won't notice the ball go through the bat.

I am not a reverse engineer neither do I have time in my hands for such stuff :)

Looking at the title, I was thinking, what is real physics other than scripting? :laugh

Due to the scripting, this game has a lot of bugs than unlikeables(in BLIC 05 and 07).

It is easy to script the physics and tell him to do all the physical events than to script each and every ball movements.

Ashes 09 is way better than BLIC 07 and they now have a good (not the best, but good) base.

Users who are viewing this thread