Story Three Lions on the Shirt? - Match Day: Northamptonshire fight back!!!

When will Tom Baker get his England call up?

• Total voters
Oh great signing. Hayden and Marsh can really boost your season! :)

Hayden will be a great signing for Glamorgan. I'm sure you will have many great partnerships with him.

I should of known that this story would come back :)

great signing with Haydos, haha oh and by the way, i think Gem is trying to tell ya somethin mate :cool:

Team Announced and a guilty conscience?

You ever have that feeling that you are asleep when you are actually awake? I had that, that night. It was about 6:30 in the morning and I had woken up before the alarm clock for some reason. For some reason there seemed to be some sort of shimmering outside my window and I could hear men's voices. Sleepily I opened the curtains,

"JESUS CHRIST!!!!"

Outside there were about 50 armed response men. As I opened my curtains they snapped around and looked at me through their sights. I, not surprisingly, hit the floor hard. Gemma, with a start woke up,

"What's going on?"

"Just stay in the bed!!!

I ran down the stairs towards the cellar, talking to myself,

"Illegal brewery, gotta hide the evidence......."

Myself and Cooky had our own brewery going in the cellar, which might have been just slightly illegal. Just as I locked the door up and made sure there was nothing that could incriminate us. There was a knock on the door and I catiously opened it to find a Sergeant standing opposite me, who looked like he had been bred by a bear,

"For your own safety sir, we request that you stay in your house and keep away from the windows."

"Err, yeah, sure. What's this about?

"I can't say."

And with that, he walked away. I slowly closed the door. All of a sudden I heard shouts of armed police as next doors front door was taken of it's hinges. It later transpired that there was ?3 million of heroin in there and that my next door neighbour Gareth was actually a drug baron. I mean come on. The guy is 5'5, wears big round glasses, has prominent front teeth and has a lisp. What happened to the thugs and the guys with arms like beer barrels? Instead there was just......this nerd.

Anyway, Gareth was taken away and after Jack and James, the gay couple from down the road, came over to gossip, I went of to cricket. For some reason Cooky already knew about what had happened, yet Cooky being Cooky he had managed to make it sound like I was on the run from the law.... Anyway it was probably revenge after I had that reporter pester him for ages :p I noticed a new car in the players car park. It was a BMW 7 Series. Only 1 player had the money for that. Sure enough, I found Matty Hayden chatting to Crofty and Dizzy.

"G'day mate. So your the young gun of the team?"

"Well I suppose anyone is young compared to these two wind-bags you've got yourself trapped by ;)"

"HAHAHA, fair enough, good call. So I hear your the all-rounder of the team. How you finding your first season of professional cricket?

"Just phenomenal, I could never expect it to have been so intense. Just so much cricket is played and against so many talented guys. It is hard to find time in the nets to work on your game."

"Yeah, I have heard about this. The schedule in Aus is not so hectic, gives us a bit of time to work on our game. I've heard you have Ian Wotton as your batting coach here. I worked with him over in Melbourne. He's a good guy."

"Aye, that he is. Helped me on lots of aspects of my game.

"Well I'll catch up with you later Tom. Look forward to some good partnerships :)"

"Yep, it's awesome that we've got you over here."

Now many people say that Hayden is arrogant, but he did not seem like that one bit. He just is confident, and he has a right to be, he is one of the best ever openers in the history of cricket. He would really give our season a much needed boost, hopefully.

That morning, we worked firstly on our fitness and then in the nets. Nothing helps bond the team more than laughing at Crofty doing shuttles :p Mark seemed to be really getting into this captaining role and was encouraging everyone along and leading by example. He certainly seemed to be backing the coach up. He might not be the most out-going person, but he is incredibly talented, a great thinker and very loyal. He is exactly what a captain should be. After being made to do 150 press-ups :( myself, Matty, Mark and Mike all put the pads on to go and bat. I was in the net next to Matty, and it was enjoyable to see Cooky being made to look like an amateur. I was not having too much trouble in my net and eventually when I swapped with Rich Grant I felt in nice form.

I spent a bit of time bowling to Richard (Rich) Grant. I have nearly really met him, but he was really shining in the net, and I saw the coach take notice as he lobbed me straight back over my head. As I went over to get my ball, I had a word with the coach,

"Jesus, how come he has never played before? He is all over me."

"I've seen. I will keep my eye on him."

After lunch the team for the match against Nottinghamshire went up. There were a lot of open places available, so chances were there would be some debutants.

Cricket20052009-01-1612-37-21-35.jpg

I was not surprised to see Rich Grant be handed his maiden Glamorgan cap. Everyone crowded around him to shake his hand. It really did show that if you put in the hard work you got the reward. There was obviously no surprises about Matty at the top of the order, hopefully him and Reesy would bond well. I was happy at 4. I shouldn't have to worry about the new ball, but I could still make an impact with the bat. We had lots of bowling options, so hopefully we could give Notts a good run for their money and get our first win of the season :)

The rest of the day was spent talking about tactics. Notts, like ourselves have a lot of all-rounders in their team, so we would have to make sure we didn't waste any chances in the field. Luckily Samit Patel was out injured, but they still had Ryan Sidebottom and Graeme Swann in their side......

We ended early so as to let us get back home and catch an early night. The bus left the ground at 8:30 which was not a bad time. Just as long as there was no more drug smuggling going on, I should make it ;)

awsome update match a great read.
Haha what's with the nerds being drug addicts :p maybe it's just a disguise? lol anyway good luck with the match bro

Where has Grant came from? He wasn't in the last post. Is he a player from the C2005 youth academy? :p That team looks very strong with two Australians in there :D

Great update, really enjoying this.

Gay couple? That automatically makes it a terrible update... :p

Nah good presentation and the writing is very good, Tom. Hayden didn't seem that arrogant, if anything you seemed more arrogant. Number 4 should help you with Hayden probably lasting to bat with you and scoring an unbeaten 200 but we'll see. ;)

Haha. Do you ever have a normal day Tom???? :p

Still loving this story.

I've talked to Marky Wallace as he did a course at my Uni. Top bloke, really knowledgable about the game and sounds like he'd make a good captain.

Users who are viewing this thread