Story Three Lions on the Shirt? - Match Day: Northamptonshire fight back!!!

When will Tom Baker get his England call up?

• Total voters
damn dont you just hate it when you get those people who dont when to go for it but do anyway and it ends up being a dropped chance. unlucky so far mate but it is the longer version of the game so be patient the wickets will come. great pres kutgw mate

Thats a really good opening partnership. You guys really need to get rid of one of these to have a chance!

Thats also a really good and long update! KUTGW!!

A special congratulations to Rameez who has now reached 100 posts in this thread and is the thread's most active reader. Many thanks to him for his continued support, and to all of you who read this and comment. I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I do writing it :)

A special congratulations to Rameez who has now reached 100 posts in this thread and is the thread's most active reader. Many thanks to him for his continued support, and to all of you who read this and comment. I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I do writing it :)
So what do I get to post so much in your thread??:p

Gillespie has been very unlucky not to snatch a wicket. The Surrey openers look set in and I don't think they want to budge. Great works Tom!

Cricket20052008-08-2021-16-41-71.jpg

Glamorgan Bounce Back

During the lunch break the coach, Wotton and Lisbie (;)) the bowling coach all spoke to us about what we needed to improve on, in the afternoon session. So far the general consensus had been that sloppy fielding and either too full or too short bowling had made the Surrey batsmens lives easier then they needed to be. We were not bowling on that line just outside of off-stump and had also strayed onto the pads a few too many times. Lisbie and Dizzy spoke for a long time, and I guessed that due to him being the senior bowler he was being told to lead by example. Lisbie soon came over to me,

"Hey Tom. Ok, I was watching you bowl this morning. You were putting it down a bit too short, and it was almost becoming predictable so that Benning and Newman were expecting it and pulling/hooking you away. There is nothing wrong with the short ball, just don't over use it."

"Yeah, Dizzy said the same thing to me earlier."

"He knows what he is talking about mate, listen to his advice. Anyway you still bowled well in the first session, let's just see if you can pick up a wicket now, eh?"

I was now fully aware of where I had gone wrong in that first session. Bowling too short had left a few bruises on those batsmen but it hadn't got a wicket for us. I would be aiming to have it on a good length and outside off-stump from now on. Hopefully that would get me a few wickets :)

Very soon, the umpires turned up and told us it was time for us to return to the field. The lunch break had been useful for the team and everyone had that fire in the belly, of us wanting to succed. The plan was going to be for Dizzy and Cooky to re-open the bowling for us with myself being the change over bowler. Same bowling change as in the first session, except this time we planned on getting a bunch of wickets. Mike got us into a group:

"Right guys. Now that Crofty has eaten the club out of food (:p) and the rest of you have had a chance to rest, I expect some wickets this session. Our fielding in the morning session was crap. That will have to change. I want the fielders backing the bowlers up. Benning and Newman might be feeling slightly cocky so lets use that against them. Bowlers, you know what is needed. Let's do it!!!

We all broke apart as Newman and Benning walked out. I jogged over to mid-off whilst everyone shouted encouragment to Dizzy. His first ball was down the leg-side and put away for four though :( Mike went over and had a word with him. Dizzy grinned as he walked back to his mark. The very next ball, was on the off-stump and a good length. Benning looked to drive him. However, IT TOOK A THIN EDGE, which even I heard :eek: It was losing pace though, and looked like it was going to drop short. Mark, though, threw himself forward and took a pretty sharp catch. We had got our first wicket :happy Benning had edged Dizzy earlier when driving, so this was poetic justice. Everyone came running it to congratulate Dizzy and also Mark on a fabulous catch. It was exactly the start we had needed. Surrey were now 80/1 with Graham Thorpe being the new batsman for Surrey. An ex-England player, he had plenty of big scores to his name and would be a vital wicket for us to pick up.

Cricket20052008-09-0122-50-38-91cop.jpg

There was now alot of chat flying around amongst the fielders. The atmosphere out there was completely different from the morning session. Newman and Thorpe were on the receiving end of plenty of insults if they ever put even a toe wrong. Many people say that sledging is wrong. I personally don't think it is wrong, as long as it does not go too far and end up with racist or abusive comments being made.

Dizzy had got the wicket, but Cooky also had the batsmen tied up in a knot. He had managed to get Thorpe to top edge a hook shot which went flying over Mark's head and away for four. There was a lot of agression being shown by Cooky at the moment and both him and Dizzy were both bowling well in the high 80's.

"That's the stuff Cooky. Knock his block off. We don't want old men out here playing."

That earned a big grin from Cooky and a chorus of laughs from the slip cordon as Crofty told me where I could go shove it :p Thorpe was not looking comfortable though. He was prodding and poking at everything and it was not the Graham Thorpe we had expected. Perhaps he had something on his mind? :confused: I could see Lisbie and Wotton up on the balcony and they were giving us the thumbs up. Even the back-room staff were fired up and excited at the way things had gone for us so far.

Dizzy, went from good to superb though in just a few balls. After striking Thorpe on the chest and helmet, he then got a yorker to hit him painfully on the foot just outside of leg stump. The very next ball, he got his man :D A very full ball by Dizzy looked to be driven away by Thorpe. It swung very late though and went straight through the gate to knock his middle stump backwards :happy There was a roar from us as we all realised that Dizzy had got us our second wicket and we all came running in to high-five and slap him on the back. It was an excellent spell of bowling by Dizzy. He had kept it tight and picked up two crucial wickets. Mark Butcher, another ex-England batsman was in now. He had given me a horrific time when I was batting so I planned on returning the favour with the ball. Surrey were now 96/2 and looked to be having a bit of a wobbel.

Cricket20052008-09-0200-30-29-57cop.jpg

As Butcher walked out, the skip got us into a huddel again:

"Right guys. This has been a brilliant start for us. Dizzy, you have done an amazing job. Now we need to carry on the momentum. If we can get Butcher, Newman and Ramprakash, I think we have a good chance of starting our innings with a nice lead. Just keep up this excellent work lads. Tom, start warming up, by the way, your going to be bowling soon."

I was really pleased that I was going to get the ball soon. I really wanted to bowl against Mark Butcher and get my revenge. There were still a few overs left for Dizzy and Cooky to bowl though, so as I did my warming up stretches there was a very good chance that we could pick up another quick wicket. What a start to the session!

Sounds like a vicious spell from Dizzy, some vital wickets, make sure you pitch it up this session Tom;)

as usual great write up and pres!

Dizzy looking great atm.And hope you bowl in good line and length and pick the wicket of Mark Butcher. :)

Great Update asusual mate ;)

Fantastic bowling from Dizzy there! Good luck with the ball Tom! Im banking on you to get Butcher! :D Keep it up! :)

Users who are viewing this thread