Top 100 in ODI history - 2: Tendulkar, 1: Richards

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Will post some more comments tomorrow, but for now a quick post before the cricket starts :D

#25 - Saeed Anwar
Saeed-Anwar-a-legendary-Pakistan-opener-109917.jpg
scaled.php

Role: LH opening batsman.

Debut: vs West Indies, Perth, 1989.
Matches: 247
Runs: 8824
Avg: 39.21
S/R: 80.67

Legacy: One of the first truly attacking openers to hit the scene, Anwar loved to cut and pull - and play a lot of shots actually :p. A pretty attractive player too particularly vs spin I thought, where he liked to use his feet.

A great match winner for Pakistan, making 20 ODI 100s and winning 28 Man of the Match awards over his career (10th most of all-time). He also has one of the best 'MOTM-to-games played' ratios in history. By comparison, Waqar Younis only won 14 awards over almost exactly the same span in the same side, 1989-2003.

All these numbers came despite having a wide selection of opening partners over his career. His most frequent partners were Aamer Sohail and Shahid Afridi, but he also spent time opening with Rameez Raja, Imran Nazir, Saleem Elahi and a few others as Pakistan constantly searched for a decent partner for him.

Saeed Anwar's 194 vs India in 1997 was the highest score in ODI cricket for 13 years, until beaten by the Little Master's 200. Also shares the record for most consecutive 100s: 3, with Zaheer Abbas, Herschelle Gibbs and AB de Villiers.

Three of the best (matches in chronological order):
1) 131 (141) vs West Indies, Sharjah, 1993. Chasing 261, Anwar carried most of the scoring load as the Pakistan order was full of 10s and 20s. Timed the chase perfectly and was out with only 10 runs to get from 15 balls, Pakistan eventually getting there with 6 balls to spare.
2) 194 (146) vs India, Chennai, 1997. Just a small matter of a world record score... Pakistan made 327, Anwar out in the 47th over, when 200 was easily within reach. Used a runner for most of the innings, which led to him relying on boundaries a bit more than usual. Anil Kumble copped it in one over, Anwar taking him for 26 (226664). Dravid made a 100 in the chase, but India were eventually bowled out 35 runs short.
3) 113* (148) vs New Zealand, Manchester, 1999. World Cup semi-final and Pakistan needed 242 to qualify for the final vs Australia. They made 194 of them for the 1st wicket (Anwar and Wajahatullah Wasti), a record World Cup opening partnership at the time. Not one of Anwar's most explosive innings, but an important one, and a smart, generally risk-free one.

Highlights:

#24 - Saqlain Mushtaq
Saqlain-Mushtaq-of-Pakistan-took-hat-trick-in-1999-World-Cup.png
044241.jpg

Role: RH off-spinner RH batsman, usually #9 or #10.

Debut: vs Sri Lanka, Gujranwala, 1995.
Matches: 169
Wkts: 288
Avg: 21.78
Econ: 4.29

Legacy: Saqlain is credited with bringing the 'doosra' into world cricket, the ball that spins to leg instead of off. He was able to disguise it pretty well, shuffling to the crease with an awkward looking, but very effective side-on action. Was a classical spinner in the sense that he flighted the ball a lot and bowled a tempting length, rather than just firing the ball in quickly like some modern spinners.

Had an astonishing start to his career. In just over 2 years (sep 95-jan 98), Saqlain had taken 155 wickets in 79 ODIs, averaging only 19.12. He still holds the record for shortest time needed to take 100, 150, 200 and 250 ODI wickets, both in terms of matches played and years taken. Took 2 ODI hat-tricks, both vs Zimbabwe (Peshawar, 1996 & The Oval, 1999).

About the only weakness to be found in Saqlain's imposing record, is the amount of 'cheap' wickets he picked up. 32.3% of Saqlain's wickets were batsmen 8-11. By comparison, Warne has 20.5%, Murali has 24.2%, Harbhajan 12.7%, Vettori and Kumble both 18.1%. It's hard to criticise Saqlain too much though: he played with such a potent fast bowling group that the only wickets he could pick up were the scraps that were left over! Another reason for those lower order wickets was that Saqlain was often a death bowler for Pakistan because of he was a difficult bowler for batsmen to really attack.

His last ODI was in 2003, at the age of only 26! Some said he relied on the doosra too much towards the end of his career, particularly in Test cricket. It was perhaps this over-reliance that lead to Saqlain's early demise.

1) 5/29 (8.5) vs Australia, Adelaide, 1996. Australia collapsed hard chasing 224 to win. They were 4/174 when Wasim Akram bowled Bevan, then Saqlain stepped in and flummoxed the lower order and tail to bowl Australia out for 211. He dismissed Steve Waugh, Moody, Warne and Healy in just a couple of overs to add to his early wicket of Taylor. The Aussies had no idea about this new 'doosra' and Saqlain had a field day.
2) 4/17 (9) vs West Indies, Sydney, 1997. Very tight bowling from Saqlain and he dismissed Murray, Griffith, Holder and Adams as WI were bowled out for 181. "Near-flawless control" said Wisden. WI lost their last 8 wickets for 25 runs! Pakistan had an easy time in the chase.
3) 5/20 (8) vs England, Rawalpindi, 2000. The deciding match in the Eng-Pak series and Saqlain mesmerised the England batsman. He bowled Hick with a ripper, also getting Trescothick and White before finishing off the tail and England for only 158. These were Saqlain's best figures in ODIs. Pakistan chased 159 comfortably. Side note: Tear gas floated onto the ground during England's innings causing a disruption.

Highlights:

Last edited by a moderator:

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
#23 - Gordon Greenidge
75287.2.jpg
_45399930_gordongreenidge512getty.jpg

Role: RH opening batsman.

Debut: vs Pakistan, Birmingham, 1975.
Matches: 128
Runs: 5134
Avg: 45.03
S/R: 64.92

Legacy: Greenidge was probably the ultimate ODI opener up until the mid-90s. He had a great technique against all types of bowling, and he could attack brightly or defend grimly depending on the game situation. Could play a lot of shots, but was probably most remembered for his style on the pull shot, where he would lift his front leg to help his balance and placement.

His partnership with Desmond Haynes was very prolific (5150 runs). Only Ganguly/Tendulkar (6609 runs) and Hayden/Gilchrist (5372 runs) have scored more as an opening pair, and you have to go a long way down the list to find an opening pair with an average partnership higher than the 52.55 of Greenidge and Haynes (to Gambhir/Sehwag, 1765 runs).

After World Series Cricket finished, Greenidge came back to official ODIs in great form and piled up runs:
1979/80-1983/84: 44 ODIs, 1996 runs @ 51.17, S/R: 63.1, 4 100s
But even outside that peak period, Greenidge was a consistently excellent scorer:
pre-79/80 & post 83/84: 84 ODIs, 3138 runs @ 41.84, S/R: 66.1, 7 100s
Greenidge also has one of the best 'Man of the Match-to-games played' ratios going around, winning an amazing 20 awards in only 128 ODIs. I can only find one man with a better ratio Greenidge's (a MOTM every 6.4 games): He's coming up later :p

Like our friend Zaheer Abbas, Greenidge wore glasses during his career, contacts towards the end. He struggled with a persistent knee problem too, playing his legendary 214* vs England in a Test on a very dodgy knee.

1) 100 (119) vs Australia, Perth, 1987. Apparently it was a particulary bouncy Perth pitch for this match and the scorecard bears it out. Only Greenidge, Steve Waugh and Holding passed 20 in the match and Holding was dropped early. It was like Greenidge was on a different pitch, helping WI to 255 before Australia were bounced out for only 91.
2) 133* (140) vs New Zealand, Christchurch, 1987. NZ plodded to 191 and then Greenidge showed how to do it. Haynes only scored 53 as they reached the target without being separated with 10.4 overs to spare. Greenidge got 69.2% of the runs for those playing at home. It doesn't feature in the records because it wasn't a 'completed' innings ie. 50 overs weren't used and they weren't all out.
3) 117 (123) vs India, Antigua, 1989. Needing 238, Greenidge and Haynes had a relatively 'normal' opening stand of 86, but then Greenidge put his foot down to show what he could do. He his 8 6s - an ODI record at the time - and he put on 130 with Richie Richardson in only 10 overs. WI home with plenty of time to spare.

Highlights: Not many great ODI highlights of Gordon, so some Test match 200s to enjoy instead.

----------

I would personally have Waqar much higher in the list but its sifter's list and he has done one helluva job till now. The business is sure to pick up now since we are already witnessing legends now starting to appear in the list.

Yes Waqar was pushed down a few spots, primarily by me I will admit. When I rechecked my own list originally vs some stats, I pushed him down a bit as I couldn't see why he should be ahead of the other large group of quick bowlers in the 30-45 range: Donald, Lee, Bond, Ambrose, Holding, Lillee. Based purely on stats, Waqar does not stand out amongst them (apart from total wickets :)). He's got a good strike rate - but so most of the others, except maybe Ambrose. The difference is his economy: only Lee has a worse economy than Waqar, and only really because Lee has played in the highest scoring period of ODI cricket history. In the end though I'm glad Waqar ended up ahead of most of that list - fantastic bowler to watch ol' Waqar, and he bought that X-factor that great bowlers need.

we're into the real big guns of the game now. wasn't aware haynes was such a good ODI player, when I initially saw the ordering I thought inzamam had been hard done by, that 60 in the 92 world cup is one of the formats defining knocks, but no, I'd agree with your order on reflection.

not sure about allan donald coming so far down, most of what I'm aware of him he was one of the best fast bowlers ever in the format. average, economy, and aggregates are all world class, but I'll wait and see which bowlers made it in front of him before taking too much umbrage.

as always great posts though, man.:thumbs

Yeah Haynes was a bit of a gun. His record doesn't looks very special now, just because of his strike rate really. Same for Greenidge. But in reality they were THE all-time XI opening pair until Jayasuriya, Gilchrist, Tendulkar changed the game - Saeed Anwar and Mark Waugh as well. It was such a different game back then and it's funny reading some of the old reports saying stuff like "Greenidge and Haynes raced to 48 off the first 10 overs"...:lol!

Difficult to juggle some of the ranks I'll agree *phew*, Donald was almost the opposite of Waqar. Great stats, but probably didn't win matches outright for SA like Waqar could, hard to weigh up. There's a LOT of competition going on for these spots - as you say: we are into the big guns... And I'm glad Inzamam ended up around next to Javed Miandad, I considered them about the equivalent of each other, although Inzamam did make a LOT of runs over his career.

Two of my all-time favourite bowlers must be in the top 25 now, McGrath and Pollock. :D

Yep they certainly will. Well into the top 20 I think :yes

I'm heading off to visit some family this coming week, so I don't think there'll be many/any updates on this thread...:( Hoping to get a couple more done tonight, which will leave the best of the best - the top 20! - for when I return. It's no mystery who they are...just look at who isn't underlined in the first post and you'll see who's there :yes

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
#22 - Richard Hadlee
Richard-Hadlee-All-Rounder.jpg
44917.jpg

Role: Bowling all-rounder. RH fast opening bowler. LH lower order batsman, most often at #7.

Debut: vs Pakistan, Christchurch, 1973.
Matches: 115
Runs: 1751
Avg: 21.61
S/R: 75.50
Wkts: 158
Avg: 21.56
Econ: 3.30

Legacy: Hadlee's bowling was a bit raw as the beginning of his career as he pushed too much for express pace, but by the time the mid 80s came around he was at the top of his game, striking regularly and still as accurate and tidy as ever:
1973-1981: 34 ODIs, 38 wickets @ 27.89, S/R: 50.5, Econ: 3.31
1982-1990: 81 ODIs, 120 wickets @ 19.55, S/R: 35.5, Econ: 3.30

Probably didn't make as many big scores with the bat as he should have, despite being as high in the order as #6 in some series. Made only 4 50s over his career with his attacking batting, but that extra string to his bow certainly helps him to move up this list a little more than his bowling alone may have earned him.

Perhaps a bit unusually, Hadlee's idol was Dennis Lillee - a man only 2 years older than him. Hadlee evolved his bowling action to be more 'Lillee-like' and something I found of particular interest, is that he's since admitted that he tried to even think like Dennis Lillee out in the middle:
One of the greatest bowlers of all time, Sir Richard Hadlee, used four keywords as he prepared to bowl, "Lillee - Hate - Rhythm - Off stump". These words reminded Hadlee to think like his own hero, Dennis Lillee, to hate the batsman, to concentrate on rhythm and to bowl on off stump

Hadlee carried the burden of New Zealand cricket and at one stage it got so much that he suffered mentally, taking time off in 1983 to take a complete break from cricket and go on holiday to get away from the pressure of it all.

1) 23* (28) & 5/26 (8.3) vs Australia, Sydney, 1981. First match of a final series vs Australia. Hadlee finished off the innings at #6, before taking 3 of the Aussie top order to leave Australia 4/28 in their chase of 234. Last 2 wickets were just the cherry on top of a big Kiwi win.
2) 0/36 (10) & 79* (64) vs England, Adelaide, 1983. A high scoring thriller at Adelaide. First, Hadlee only conceded 3.6 per over as England made 296, then he came in at 5/166 and dominated a partnership of 119 with Jeremy Coney to get NZ into a winning position. Kiwis got home with 7 balls to spare.
3) 5/32 (10) & 23 (31) vs England, Christchurch, 1984. Dismissed 5 of England's top 6, 3 of them in very quick succession in the middle of the innings. England made only 188 thanks to Hadlee's demolition, but NZ couldn't do much better. NZ were 6/76 when Hadlee appeared, but after a couple of 6s he fell and NZ were all out for only 134.

Highlights: some Test match action in the 2nd, Hadlee batting and bowling. Rob's also got a 2hr Hadlee video up on his channel if you're really keen :)

#21 - Dean Jones
118260.2.jpg
Dean-Jones-01.jpg

Role: RH #3 batsman.

Debut: vs Pakistan, Adelaide, 1984.
Matches: 164
Runs: 6068
Avg: 44.61
S/R: 72.56

Legacy: I think Jones would have been my first 'favourite' cricketer. He had a great flair to his batting, almost an exaggerated style to his stroke play. He liked to bat out of his crease, and he had a wide stance, he had the attitude as well - it was like he was daring the bowlers to challenge him. I don't think he could claim to have pioneered the tactic of dancing down the wicket to the fast bowlers, but it was one of his favourite methods of attack, to break up their length.

After taking one season to get the pace of international cricket, Jones scored heavily in the late 80s and reached his peak around 1990 when he scored 1174 runs in the calendar year at 69.05. From 1984/85-1990/91 here are his figures: 107 ODIs, 4435 runs @ 51.56, S/R: 76.1, 7 100s
The weakness in Jones' record is his conversion rate, not enough 100s coming after a good start (7 100s vs 46 50s). One trembles to think what his record might have been with a few more 50s turned into 100s.

Had a strange end to his career, his last game coming in 1993/94 at only 33. He was still performing OK, but rumours of arguments with coach Bob Simpson and the selectors appeared to give Jones very little rope to play with, and after a quiet series (vs SA) he was dumped for good. Tried to comeback via Australia A in 1994/95 but couldn't get another game in the senior side, despite a lot of public support.

Along with Javed Miandad, was one of the first cricketers to really make running between the wickets an important part of ODI cricket. Jones timed himself regularly in training to see how quick he was and pushed himself while batting in games to match that intensity. Timing his speed also helped Jones to realise that more 2s and 3s could be taken if he could keep his pace up and put pressure on the fieldsmen. He bought that same energy to his fielding, quick over the outfield with a powerful throwing arm.

1) 93* (82) vs West Indies, Sydney, 1989. The 3rd final against WI and rain was the talking point. Australia were 2/83 when the rain came, but on resumption were told they only had 14.5 more overs to bat. Jones launched into top gear, helping to add 143 in those 14.5 overs, smacking around the high class quartet of Marshall-Bishop-Ambrose-Walsh. WI made a fast start in reply and got the win, the rain rules generally favouring the chasing team in those days.
2) 102* (91) vs New Zealand, Auckland, 1990. It had been a good day for the seam bowlers, Australia bowling out NZ for 162 and Australia were quickly 1/13 in reply. Then Dean Jones arrived and made it look easy. He hit 5 6s and dominated the scoring. I suspect Border went slow to let Jones get to his 100 before the 163 was reached, but Jones certainly deserved one.
3) 145 (136) vs England, Brisbane, 1990. Probably the first innings I can actually remember, visions of Jones jumping down the pitch and wacking the Englishmen over mid-wicket still in my head. Still one of the best ever ODI innings I reckon: full of shots and that typical Jones flair. Australia's 283 was too good for England, Jones an easy choice for Man of the Match.

Highlights:

Gaurav_7

Executive member
CSK
RR
X Rebels
Profile Flag
India
Never knew the WI openers were so good at ODI cricket as well. Thanks for all the hard work, Sifter. :thumbs

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
#20 - Imran Khan
AD20120323680890-Pakistan_s_Imra.jpg
IMRAN+KHAN+HOLDING+TROPHY+OF+1992+CRICKET+WORLDCUP+.jpg

Role: All-rounder. RH fast bowler, usually with new ball. RH middle/lower order batsman, from #5-#7 mostly.

Debut: vs England, Nottingham, 1974.
Matches: 175
Runs: 3709
Avg: 33.41
S/R: 72.65
Wkts: 182
Avg: 26.61
Econ: 3.89

Legacy: The inspirational Imran Khan: a legendary captain and all-rounder. Wasn't quite as good in ODIs as Test cricket, but still has an imposing record. He could bowl with excellent pace, using a big leap at the end of his run-up (which I loved to emulate as a kid :p). Was a natural inswing bowler, but learned to swing it both ways and even reverse swing it. With bat he could hit the ball hard, but wouldn't give away his wicket unnecessarily, finishing with 40 not outs in 151 innings.

Stats-wise: a career bowling strike rate of 40 isn't particularly stunning, but Imran was better during his peak years:
1979-1987/88: 99 ODIs, 116 wkts @ 21.99, Econ: 3.76, S/R: 35.0
Imran actually retired after the 1987 World Cup and his bowling wasn't as good after his comeback as he battled age and injury.

Had a reputation as possibly the greatest captain in history. I'm not sure I totally subscribe to that, but he was definitely very effective when leading Pakistan: in 139 ODIs as captain, Pakistan won 75 of them. Of course his most famous win as captain was the 1992 World Cup. Imran also helped attract many LADIES to cricket: they loved the flowing hair; open shirt; and olive skin of the 'Lion of Lahore'. He made the front of magazines and became arguably the world's most popular player.

1) 6/14 (10) vs India, Sharjah, 1985. Imran destroyed India's top order, taking the first 5 wickets to leave India 5/34 (Shastri, Srikkanth, Vengsarkar, Gavaskar & M.Amarnath). Also got Madan Lal towards the end as India were rolled for 125. Unfortunately, Pakistan were rolled for even less: 87!
2) 67* (41) & 2/42 (9.4) vs West Indies, Brisbane, 1989. Imran gave the stalling Pakistan innings much needed impetus, bashing the Marshall-Ambrose-Benjamin-Bishop attack around the Gabba. Pakistan scored 106 off the last 10 overs to get 258. West Indies never got going, bowled out for 203, Imran taking the last 2 wickets.
3) 3/47 (9) & 55* (75) vs West Indies, Kolkata, 1989. Final of the 6-team Nehru Cup. Imran bowled all 9 of his overs at the end and got Richards, Dujon and Logie, and allowing only 5 RPO at that stage was a good return. WI made a challenging 273. Imran came out at 4/133 and anchored the chase. Came down to the last over and with 3 runs needed off 2 balls, Wasim Akram hit Richards for 6.

Highlights:

#19 - Lance Klusener
98345.jpg
021424.jpg

Role: All-rounder. LH lower order batsmen predominantly, but spending time all around the order: opening, #3 and from #6-#9. RH fast medium bowler, usually the 4th or 5th bowler used.

Debut: vs England, East London, 1996.
Matches: 171
Runs: 3576
Avg: 41.10
S/R: 89.91
Wkts: 192
Avg: 29.95
Econ: 4.70

Legacy: Klusener started out as more of a bowler, but is probably most famous for his brutal batting, able to hit the ball like a rocket with his heavy club of a bat. He was one of those players that had an intimidating presence, even when still in the dressing room, as teams wondered if they had enough of a buffer to withstand a Klusener onslaught. Was at his zenith in 1999, particularly with the bat as he became a feared finisher. Klusener was named Player of the Tournament in the World Cup that year with 281 runs @ 140.5 and 17 wickets @ 20.58. He finished his golden year of 1999 with 854 runs @ 94.88 average and 102.03 strike rate.

He was an aggressive bowler who bowled from wide of the crease and skidded the ball onto batsmen a bit quicker than they expected. Not particularly economical, but he had a good strike rate and was able to capitalise on batsmen who perhaps took him lightly after the specialist fast bowlers finished their spells. Was much more effective with the ball in the first half of his career:
1995/96-1999/00: 86 ODIs, 120 wickets @ 25.37, Econ: 4.68, S/R: 32.4
2000-2004: 85 ODIs, 72 wickets @ 37.58, Econ: 4.72, S/R: 47.75
The reason for the decline was most likely his health. Klusener struggled with ankle problems in particular, and lost some of the speed he had at the beginning of his career. Had only just turned 33 when he played his final ODI.

1) 54 (41) & 6/49 (10) vs Sri Lanka, Lahore, 1997. Smacked plenty of early boundaries (batting at #3) to get SA a fast start on their way to 311. Then took 4 quick wickets to get SL from 1/46 to 5/62 in the blink of an eye. SA eventually winning easily by 66 runs.
2) 1/29 (7) & 99 (96) vs Sri Lanka, Lahore, 1997. This was the final of the 4 team tournament, only 2 days after the match above. Bowled tidily on what proved to be a difficult wicket and took a couple of excellent catches as SL made only 209. Then showed mastery of the pitch with 99 where no one else in either innings had made more than 33. SA got home with 9.2 overs to spare.
3) 5/25 (7.1) vs Pakistan, Cape Town, 1998. Pakistan were steady at 2/54 in the triangular series final when Klusener found the edge of Saeed Anwar's bat and sparked a vicious collapse. Pakistan were all out for only 114, with Klusener getting Moin Khan, Azhar Mahmood, Rashid Latif and Abdul Razzaq to rip open the middle order with seam and swing. Wasn't required to bat as SA won easily with only 1 wicket down.

Highlights:

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
#18 - Joel Garner
art-svGARNER-420x0.jpg
_45399915_joelgarner512getty.jpg

Role: RH fast bowler, either opening or 1st/2nd change. RH tail-end batsman, usually #9 or #10.

Debut: vs Pakistan, Albion, 1977.
Matches: 98
Wkts: 146
Avg: 18.84
Econ: 3.09

Legacy: The man known as 'Big Bird' was renowned for 3 things: extra bounce; stifling accuracy; and for being one of the masters of the toe crushing yorker. Standing 6'8", he must have looked gigantic to the batsman when he delivered the ball from his high action. The bounce he got from a good length made it virtually impossible to get forward regularly and if you camped on the back foot, he would fire in the yorker. That yorker was of great value at the end of an innings, making his 'best in history' economy rate even more outstanding.

Was at his very best in the early 80s, putting up some incredible figures:
1981/82-1984/85: 54 ODIs, 87 wickets @ 15.97, Econ: 2.87, S/R: 33.4

Garner holds a couple of records in ODI cricket: He has the lowest average in ODI cricket history, taking 146 wickets at only 18.84 runs per wicket. That's 1.5 runs per wicket better than Andy Roberts in 2nd place. His economy rate too is also the best in history, Garner's 3.09 RPO a decent way ahead of Bob Willis' 3.28 in 2nd place. Garner is one of only 2 men I can find that had an economy rate a full run lower than the economy rate of the day eg. the economy rate over Garner's career was approximately 4.17 RPO, where his was only 3.09. The other man to do that is coming up soon!

1) 5/38 (11) vs England, Lord's, 1979. The World Cup final at Lord's, and England were 2/183 chasing 287, but needing around 8 RPO to win. 11 runs later and England were all out! Garner struck multiple times, 4 of them bowled, to spark a dreadful collapse and WI were World Cup winners again.
2) 5/31 (10) vs Australia, Melbourne, 1984. 3rd final of the triangular series and Garner was the most economical of the Windies bowlers. He bowled both openers, before coming back at the end to halt Australia with 3 more wickets. Their 212 wasn't enough, and WI won the series.
3) 4/10 (6) vs New Zealand, Port of Spain, 1985. WI won by 10 wickets after castling NZ for only 116. It was started by Garner who removed Howarth, Wright and the Crowe brothers to have NZ 4/18 after his brilliant opening spell. The pitch was meant to be green, but it can't have been too bad as NZ couldn't break apart Haynes and Richardson in 25 overs.

Highlights:

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
#17 - Shane Warne
1999+Cricket+World+Cup+Great+Britain+wUGwh37xyRCl.jpg
1999+Cricket+World+Cup+Great+Britain+GPqhDUQwp-Al.jpg

Role: RH leg spinner. RH lower order batsman, #8 or #9 usually.

Debut: vs New Zealand, Wellington, 1993.
Matches: 194
Runs: 1018
Avg: 13.05
S/R: 72.04
Wkts: 293
Avg: 25.73
Econ: 4.25

Legacy: Warne bought the same revolutionary attacking spin bowling he used in Test cricket so well into the ODI arena. He gave Australia a presence in the middle overs that allowed the captain to keep attacking, knowing his champion leg spinner could induce a false shot at any time. Warne's weapons were accuracy, aggression, and a willingness to be hit for 6 if it could get him a wicket next ball - always having a plan to get the batsman out. Combine those attributes with the prodigous spin he gained and it's obvious why he was a potent ODI force.

Only Saqlain Mushtaq has taken more wickets in a calendar year than the 62 wickets Warne took in 1999. Like in Tests, India were Warne's bogey team, averaging 56.26 in 18 ODIs vs India. England was the other other opponent that forced his average above 30 (33.13). Apart from his ability, Warne was a great entertainer. Like Imran Khan, he was always in the papers, and like Andrew Flintoff, he got the crowd going. Always a showman: it seemed most balls he bowled he would "ooh" and "aah" to hint that he was close to a wicket every ball, even if it went for 6. It was a lot of bluff and bravado, but it was also great theatre.

Was vice captain for 2 years and ended up filling in as captain for only 11 ODIs, much less than his sharp cricket brain and leadership ability deserved. Never very agile in the field, he was at least a good catcher and provided some handy runs with the bat. One notable innings came in the 1996 World Cup quarter-final against New Zealand where he was promoted to #4 to get the innings moving - successfully too, with 24 off 14 balls.

Retired from ODI cricket to focus on Tests after testing positive for taking a banned substance: a diuretic to aid weight loss. However, Warne played one ODI after that for the ICC World XI in the tsunami benefit match of 2005. Given what we saw from Warne towards the end of his Test career, it's a shame he didn't play the short stuff for a bit longer.

1) 4/36 (9) vs West Indies, Mohali, 1996. The first of 3 World Cup matches on this list - the 1996 semi-final. WI looked like winners, needing only 40-odd from the last 9 overs with 8 wickets in hand. But Warne had 4 overs in hand, and bowled a spell of 3/6. With wickets at the other end from McGrath and Fleming, suddenly the WI were gasping for air. They couldn't get the 10 required off Fleming's final over and Australia won by 5 runs.
2) 4/29 (10) vs South Africa, Birmingham, 1999. The legendary World Cup semi-final of 1999 and this was almost the perfect example of how intimidating Warne could be. Chasing only 213, SA were cruising at 0/48, but with his 2nd ball Warne bowled Gibbs with a similar ball to the "Gatting ball" and from there South African eyes seemed to get large when Warne walked in to bowl. He took 3/12 in his first 8 overs, picking up Gibbs, Kirsten and Cronje while completely stalling the innings' of Cullinan and Kallis. Then he picked up Kallis with lovely flight in over 45 to finish his spell. The match ended in a tie, Australia into the final, Warne Man of the Match.
3) 4/33 (9) vs Pakistan, Lord's, 1999. 3 days later and Warne turned the World Cup final too, Pakistan at 3/77 when he was introduced. 18 overs later they were all out for 132, Warne spooking the lower order after he ripped one past Ijaz Ahmed to bowl him. Australia got the runs with only 2 wickets lost and were World Cup champs for the 2nd time.

Highlights: beautiful flipper at the 2:45 in the first video to trap Bishop.

----------

Shaun Pollock. :D

Could be...:D

Fenil

PC Cricket Leagues Legend
Imran at 20, Klusner at 19 and Garner at 18. I'd would be surprised if the top 10 won't be jam-packed with batsmen.

Bevab

Staff Member
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Online Cricket Games Owned
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Would've definitely liked to see more of Klusner in action. Only saw things of him late in his career.

sifter132

Panel of Selectors
Kuslener higher than the Great Khan :eek:. That is not cool :noway

Hmm, yes I thought that might provoke some responses :) Kapil Dev is ahead too. For me, Imran just didn't have an impressive enough set of numbers to go higher - but then I'm not the only voter! Definitely a legend, so I'm glad he got to #20 at least.

Imran at 20, Klusner at 19 and Garner at 18. I'd would be surprised if the top 10 won't be jam-packed with batsmen.

It's a batsman's game :yes Or wicketkeepers... But yes, it has been a little concerning how to balance both disciplines. Ultimately, most people like the same batsmen as the best ever, but opinions on the bowlers are a bit more diverse and that leads to them dropping a little bit.

Well of course :D

It's strange that Warne only played India 18 times - these days that would take about 4 years to rack up with a couple of 7 match series, a World Cup match, and maybe a random triangular series.

----------

#16 - Sourav Ganguly
97109.jpg
23.jpg

Role: LH top order batsman, usually opening the innings. Part time RH medium pace bowler.

Debut: vs West Indies, Brisbane, 1992.
Matches: 311
Runs: 11363
Avg: 41.02
S/R: 73.70
Wkts: 100
Avg: 38.49
Econ: 5.06

Legacy: "On the off side, first there is God, then there is Ganguly", is the famous quote from Rahul Dravid. What Dravid and fans were taken with was the way Ganguly could time the ball through the off side, as Ganguly could make the ball fizz over the grass without even swinging hard. His off side preference came about from his slightly skewed grip of the bat and his whole technique in general was not one the purists loved. However, he was very effective at the top of the innings, piercing gaps with sweet timing and because he could loft the ball very well - on either side of the wicket - to take advantage of the field restrictions.

He and Sachin Tendulkar are the most prolific partnership in ODI history, opening and overall partnership. They scored 8227 runs together in partnership, 6609 of those as opening pair. They also own the most 100 run partnerships: 26, well clear of Gilchrist/Hayden on 16. Ganguly also lies 2nd on the 'most runs in a calendar year' list, for his 1767 runs in 1999. That was in the middle of Ganguly's best phase:
1997-2001/02: 168 ODIs, 6899 runs @ 45.68, S/R: 75.68, 18 100s

Not a very athletic fielder and wasn't a good runner between the wickets, but Ganguly still provided value outside his batting through his useful bowling and his captaincy of India. He could swing the ball, and was a decent partnership breaker with his wicket-to-wicket medium pace. India never had World Cup success under Ganguly, but his W/L ratio of 1.17 was certainly better than his predecessor Sachin Tendulkar.

1) 183* (158) vs Sri Lanka, Taunton, 1999. This was the World Cup match where Ganguly and Dravid put on 318 in 44.5 overs. It was an elegant Ganguly innings, but ended with brutality after Ganguly reached his 100 off 119 balls and accelerated from there. Ganguly struck 7 6s (and hit 17 4s) in his innings as India made a massive 373, far too many for Sri Lanka.
2) 141* (143) & 1/5 (1) vs South Africa, Nairobi, 2000. Semi-final of the old "ICC Knockout" (now Champions Trophy). Ganguly forged good partnerships with Tendulkar, Dravid and Yuvraj to get India to 295. In particular he feasted on Nicky Boje, hitting him out of the attack. Then in the field, he ran out Kirsten, caught Kallis and dismissed Boucher to ensure India won comfortably by 95 runs.
3) 5/34 (10) & 71* (68) vs Zimbabwe, Kanpur, 2000. Ganguly the all-rounder appeared in this match, taking Zimbabwe from 2/91 to 165 all out, as Ganguly cut a swathe through the middle order (wickets of Flower bros, Carlisle, Streak and Friend). Then he struck 54 runs worth of boundaries as India raced to the 166 target in only 25 overs.

Highlights:

----------

#15 - Michael Bevan
3404860844_6535f52430.jpg
bevanwinner.jpg

Role: LH middle order batsman - most innings at #6, but spent a fair time at #4 and #5 as well. Part time LH chinaman.

Debut: vs Sri Lanka, Sharjah, 1994.
Matches: 232
Runs: 6912
Avg: 53.58
S/R: 74.16
Wkts: 36
Avg: 45.97
Econ: 5.05

Legacy: Bevan is renowned as the master finisher, able to time his innings to perfection and get Australia home in tight spots. He wasn't a big 6 hitter, instead his method was rely on placement and to systematically target particular areas of the field where he could score boundaries if needed. I remember reading that Bevan always felt his first job was to be there at the end, but at the same time he felt the trick was never thinking too far ahead. Apart from placement and temperament, his other weapon was speed, able to take a lot of tight 2nd runs due to his pace between the wickets.

He currently sits 3rd on the 'highest career average' chart, behind ten Doeschate's minnow bashing 67.00, and Hashim Amla's 56.49. Bevan averaged 56.50 in the 2nd innings of ODI matches which puts him 5th on the 'highest career average in the 2nd innings', behind ten Doeschate again, Kohli, Watson and Clarke. Perhaps more significantly, Bevan owns the highest List A batting average in history (57.86 - more than 5 runs clear of 2nd placed Saleem Elahi), making stacks of short form runs for 3 different states and a few English counties.

Bevan's bowling had potential, but he really only mastered his bamboozling chinamans for a short period in his career: 31 of his 36 wickets came between the 1995/96 and 1998/99 seasons. Never got entrenched in the Australian Test side, a weakness against the short ball being one of the major reasons that Bevan only played 18 Tests.

1) 78* (88) vs West Indies, Sydney, 1996. A famous last ball boundary from Bevan was needed to win this thriller. Only 173 was needed, but Ambrose and Gibson had Australia on it's knees at 6/38, then 7/74, before Reiffel stuck with Bevan for a while. #11 McGrath was also needed for one ball to give Bevan the strike and it came down to Harper vs Bevan, 4 off 2 needed. First was a dot, the second went speeding to the straight boundary and Bill Lawry went off his nut!
2) 3/36 (10) & 79* (142) vs Pakistan, Melbourne, 1997. With ball, Bevan had Inzamam and Afridi caught and Mushtaq Ahmed was stumped in his last over as Pakistan limped to 182, Bevan finishing with his best ever ODI figures. In the chase Bevan was patient and cool, as usual. Only Law stuck around with him for a decent time, until Bevan and Bichel added 34 for the 8th wicket to get Australia home with 3 balls remaining.
3) 102* (95) vs New Zealand, Melbourne, 2002. Another last over win batting with the tail...why are you surprised? :p Chasing 246, Australia were again in trouble: 5/65; 6/82; 7/143. Bevan was the constant, helped by cameos from Warne, Lee and finally Bichel. He scored quickly, picking his moments and staying calm as all fell apart around him, his 2nd 50 coming in just 35 balls as Bevan increased the pace. Australia home with 2 wickets and 3 balls to spare, scoring at 8 RPO over the last 11 overs.

Not in an official ODI, but this match deserves a mention because it was a serious match and an insanely good innings: 185* (132) vs Asian XI, Dhaka, 2000. Incredible batting against a strong attack. World XI needed 320, and Bevan was the only guy to turn up (Mark Waugh's 28 was the next highest score). Needed 39 off the last 2 overs to win and he almost made it! Needing 6 off the last ball to win, Bevan could only hit it for a mere 4. His 100 came from 88 balls, before his last 85 came in just 44 balls.

Highlights:

Users who are viewing this thread