Twenty20 Champions League

Who will win the Twenty20 Champions League 2009

• Total voters
Dam just when I thought NSW had Warner, they go and change the rules and get Delhi into the comp. Seems unfair that India get 3 teams while other Countries only have 1.

Dam just when I thought NSW had Warner, they go and change the rules and get Delhi into the comp. Seems unfair that India get 3 teams while other Countries only have 1.

I admit that 3 teams are a bit excess, but again I think that the rule is such that the host nation will get this advantage. I might be wrong, as I am not really aware of the CL rules, and anyway, all the countries don't have 1 team, England, Australia, SA- they can send two teams. The rule of 1 team is applicable for the rest of the countries.

I don't see why the host should get the advantage. NZ or one of the other nations should have got a second team. This is obviously Modi trying to get more cash by putting in a 3rd Indian team but doesn't seem fair to me.

I think that 3rd Indian team should have been a Pakistan team, but they weren't allowed to go to India.

I don't see why the host should get the advantage. NZ or one of the other nations should have got a second team. This is obviously Modi trying to get more cash by putting in a 3rd Indian team but doesn't seem fair to me.
All the teams outside of India are only there to make up the numbers, they aren't expected to win. It's not a tournament its an IPL exhibition.

The teams have changed too. Poll needs updation.

hosts always gets advantages ... they usually plays the 1st game, they dont even have to qualify to be in it. for ex UAE, for next T20 qualifications. and you dont even have to do any thing, you can fail badly, but still make it, IF your USA!

All the teams outside of India are only there to make up the numbers, they aren't expected to win. It's not a tournament its an IPL exhibition.

Sorry, but I don't agree. This tournament is like soccer's UEFA Champions League. Where teams from all over the world will compete and fight for the ultimate glory. Why are you labelling it as an IPL exhibition? In the UEFA league also, the English teams get some advantage. Here too the same thing..

And the list of teams....

1. New South Wales Blues (AUS)
2. Victoria Bush Rangers (AUS)
3. Deccan Chargers (IND)
4. Royal Challengers Bangalore (IND)
5. Delhi Daredevils (IND)
6. Cape Cobras (RSA)
7. Diamond Eagles (RSA)
8. Trinidad & Tobago (WIN)
9. Otago Volts (NZL)
10. Wayamba (SL)
11. TBC (ENG)
12. TBC (ENG)

Last edited:
List the teams and I will update the poll.

Looks like McCullum could play for NSW. Otago twist in Blues' T20 bid for McCullum - Cricket - Sport - smh.com.au

Promising thing is we get our international stars back so Clarke, Clark, Haddin, Katich and Lee will be back for NSW.

Cricket: NSW offering $400,000 for McCullum's services | CRICKET News

Getting McCullum for 400,000 is a pretty good deal and the chances of Otago winning this thing are pretty low, I suspect Otago would take the deal as the money would be spread out amongst all the state teams which is really good to here.

Sorry, but I don't agree. This tournament is like soccer's UEFA Champions League. Where teams from all over the world will compete and fight for the ultimate glory. Why are you labelling it as an IPL exhibition? In the UEFA league also, the English teams get some advantage. Here too the same thing..
Ok, here's my reasoning. IPL teams are allowed more overseas players than their counterparts. English teams won't even be allowed new signings in their teams despite the fact that an off season would have passed and players would have joined and left. Your key player may have moved on to another county and you might have made a great signing to replace him but he won't be allowed to play.

But what really annoys me is that players who play in both IPL and another league will turn out for the much richer Indian team. You could have a ludicrous situation where a player such as Ryan McLaren who did nothing but sit on the bench during IPL turning out for an IPL team and not Kent Spitfires where he is seen as absolutley critical to the team. The IPL side obviously wont need him, they have a much larger squad but they'll take him because the whole thing is set up so the IPL teams have the greater advantage.

Don't see where English teams get an advantage in the UEFA Champions League either. All the teams in that competition follow exactly the same rules, they don't mix and match the rules to suit.

It's unfortunately true. As much as people wish to see this as a meaningful event, it really can't be fought on fair grounds because the IPL sides get first dip into their opponents' player pools. Then again, maybe they feel that's the only way to give the IPL sides a chance.

What serves to make it even less meaningful in future is that teams may well take after NSW's lead and make late signings just to ensure they qualify.

Cricket: NSW offering $400,000 for McCullum's services | CRICKET News

Getting McCullum for 400,000 is a pretty good deal and the chances of Otago winning this thing are pretty low, I suspect Otago would take the deal as the money would be spread out amongst all the state teams which is really good to here.

McCullum did say he is loyal to Otago but yea that deal is too hard to reject and McCullum would have no problem putting his loyalty aside for the cash injection into NZ cricket.

Users who are viewing this thread