West Indies (70's-80's) vs Australia (2000's)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel the great West Indies teams would beat the modern Australians, but it would be a close match. The West Indies sides were feared. The Australians were clinically professional, but the West Indies frightened other teams.

A video of Malcolm Marshall bowling is a favourite on my YouTube channel.
He was far from a medium pacer, he was quick and he got a lot of swing. He really was an amazing cricketer.
http://www.youtube.co.uk/hardboard25

After watching that video, it's safe to say that Marshal was a pretty fast bowler.

Doesn't compare to Ambrose or Holding, but easily 150's.

After watching that video, it's safe to say that Marshal was a pretty fast bowler.

bishop when he started was much quicker than ambrose untill he was injured

I never downplayed everything Malcom Marshall accomplished during his career, I just questioned how his bowling would fare in the modern day.

For me, if Glenn McGrath created so many problems until as recently as last year, I believe Malcolm Marshall would be just as good today as he was then.

skater added 0 Minutes and 45 Seconds later...

Marshall would have been 50 years old this year.

For me, if Glenn McGrath created so many problems until as recently as last year, I believe Malcolm Marshall would be just as good today as he was then.

skater added 0 Minutes and 45 Seconds later...

Marshall would have been 50 years old this year.

You mean as recently as this year as he played in the IPL.

are you nuts ?

the video is fast,not marshall .they slow down the vidoe broadcast
today other wise you could not, see the ball at 145+,

marshall was the slowest he bowled around 130-140,
if you look at all of 4 bowlers only garner,roberts looked quick,

still the quickest at that time was 147 km/hr.

its just hype about how quick they were,but they were very skilled
marshall may not have express pace but he had a great bouncer
and swung the ball.garner used his height fully,roberts had a quick arm action

also curtly ambrose was fast medium not fast

Cricket_god added 15 Minutes and 11 Seconds later...

I don't know where did you see the video 'read' the speed off the hand. Just because they stopped a bit at that instant? And I think you are assuming too much and think that you knew everything beforehand.

And, I'm finding it difficult to control -ve repping ben as he gets involved in too many debates, and baselessly and arrogantly 'tries' to get his point across.

look however hard it is for people to accept that todays bowlers are quicker than previous bowlers,the facts never change.
1-pitches were quick then so we saw even medium pacers getting good bounce,while today pitches except south africa are flat .
2-todays bowlers are more physically more fitter than in 70' or 80's
they can sustain there speeds longer
3-even in 90's people told that waqar,akram were express fast bowlers
but in reality they were not as the speed guns showed.
4-west indies fast bolwers are categorised as fast as at that time
of all the teams they had quickest bowlers.
5-in 1979 study was conducted hwo fast are they really and it was found
most of them had higest of around 142 an dthomo touched 147 even
at nets and bowling full tosses.
6-bowling coaches,biomechanist today have lead to more simple actions
and greater pace.
7-if you ever watch the footage of 70,s just watch the keeper you will get the message
8-most a fast medium bowlers of 70,80, like botham,kapil,hadlee
could have been medium fast in this generation
9-one thing is they had natural abilities like height ,skill
which made the fearsome foursome great.
10-westindies of 70's versus australia in 2000 australia to win it 3-2

wetsindies of 70's versus australia of 2000 in 70's westindies to win it
4-1

and i will not compare the era's any more as its degrading for some fans
no more posts from me

1) Pace of pitches have nothing to do with the speed of the bowler. It won't affect how quickly a bowler releases the ball.
2) They are fitter? No, they have more complicated regimes. But, just as many bowlers are getting injured now, as they did then. They bowled a lot more overs then, that compensates for the difference in physical regimes
3) Waqar and Akram regularly bowled at 90mph, that is express pace
4) They were categorised as fast, because they were fast. Snow and Willis were quick, Thommo and Lillee were quick.
5) Those speed gun calculations were later proven to be showing slower speeds than the bowler actually bowled.
6) Like Shaun Tait?
8) That's only because we have new phrases. Back in the 70s/80s there wasn't as much emphasis on speed. It was, Fast, Swing, Seam bowlers.

3-even in 90's people told that waqar,akram were express fast bowlers
but in reality they were not as the speed guns showed.
4-west indies fast bolwers are categorised as fast as at that time
of all the teams they had quickest bowlers.
5-in 1979 study was conducted hwo fast are they really and it was found
most of them had higest of around 142 an dthomo touched 147 even
at nets and bowling full tosses.
6-bowling coaches,biomechanist today have lead to more simple actions
and greater pace.
7-if you ever watch the footage of 70,s just watch the keeper you will get the message
8-most a fast medium bowlers of 70,80, like botham,kapil,hadlee
could have been medium fast in this generation
9-one thing is they had natural abilities like height ,skill
which made the fearsome foursome great.
10-westindies of 70's versus australia in 2000 australia to win it 3-2

3) Waqar and Akram regularly bowled at 90mph, that is express pace

Indeed. Waqar timed 147kph as late as Natwest Series 2001; although his pace was nearer 130kph throughout that series, it showed that he was holding back due to the fragilities in his body and to concentrate on accuracy rather than an inability to bowl quick. His seven wicket haul showed the advantages of slowing down for him. Wasim was only fast-medium though, as far as I recall, timing 145kph in 1992/3 season but never consistently bowling above 140kph post-1998 in the era of speed guns - this being said, Wasim's advantage was never raw pace, but rather the quick arm. Cricket_god, I don't think you can use Wasim's estimated pace as an example of the mislead assumptions of the time, simply because Wasim's unusual action and occasionally frighteningly late swing added the illusion of pace, like no other.

6) Like Shaun Tait?

Check and mate. Shaun Tait, bowling over 150kph in the era of speed guns in every game is proof that unorthodox, untaught actions can bring about pace - just as they did in the 1970s.

8) That's only because we have new phrases. Back in the 70s/80s there wasn't as much emphasis on speed. It was, Fast, Swing, Seam bowlers.

Furthermore, Kapil was regarded as the quickest bowler to have come out of India by many. In my opinion, his pace is only second to Javagal Srinath. Ian Botham was sharp in his prime, but agreed that he was medium-fast by the time he put on all that weight and lost his bowling form. Richard Hadlee was most certainly right arm fast, from all reports, in his earlier days and slowed down for accuracy - rather than lost his pace. Presumably, he was still able to crank up the speed if the situation demanded such.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread