What cricketers would you like to have seen play?

RoboRocks

Chairman of Selectors
Online Cricket Games Owned
Victor Trumper is at the top of my list. Skill wise they said he was as good as Bradman but would entertain the crowd like no other. ODI and Twenty20 cricket would be taylor made for Trumper since (Twenty20 at least) allows you to play with freedom, which is the way Trumper approached batting. Also I think his trademark shot where closes the face of the bat and is able to squirt a yorker away behind square would come in handy today! ;)

Also I would love to see Sydney Barnes bowl. Of course Sydney Barnes would use genuine off spinners and leg spinners instead of bowling seam up.
It would be interesting to watch him bowl in person to see this way of bowling used to effect. It certainly worked for Barnes since he took 189 test wickets at 16 and on the days of uncovered pitches, batsmen had no answer to him.
Plus Barnes was also described as quite as a bit of character on the field especially against South Africa's Herbie Taylor.

I would also like to have seen Wilfred Rhodes and see how someone like him can turn into a destructive slow left arm spinner into a opening batsmen for England. Rhodes took 1287 wickets and averaged 14.40 in his first 5 seasons at Yorkshire and batting in the lower order (even number 11 at the start) and then going on to open the batting for England with Jack Hobbs. Its sad that he didn't bowl during the time he was opening but still its quite a change from those first 5 seasons.
Plus he played until he was 52 so he played county and test cricket for a good 30 years and someone with that abilty I would love to have seen in action.

Another interesting cricketer was Gilbert Jessop who according to an article on cricinfo, I read that Jessop's averages 79 runs per hour, which is actually a lot higher than Afridi's, which you would think was possible. Of course his strike rate was not recorded in those days. As well as his batting, he was a good bowler of genuine pace and was lighting around the field so he would always be in the game so a very good alrounder. He made his only test hundred in 77 minutes to win at test for England when they were in deep trouble at 48-5 at England went on to win by 1 wicket. I would love to have been at that test. :cool:

Of course there are others such as Bradman, which of course everyone would of liked to have seen play but above are the players who are a unsung heros in a way.

Post here which cricketers you would like to have seen but couldn't since they were before your time and they were not recorded on film.

Last edited:
Mohammed Azharuddin. If you mean live, that is.

Obviously Bradman, other than that probably Thomo ive never seen him bowl before all i know is that he bowls fast.

EDIT: just watched this

Last edited by a moderator:
I would have liked to watched Fred Trueman play.

a test match involving Roberts, Holding, Marshall, Garner. and Sir Viv.

Ofcourse sir viv richardson!
I would like to see Mcgrath bowling to viv.its always intresting to see who gonna win that battle.

I'd obviously like to see bradman play aswell. Watching him get those double hundreds and of course his triple hundred. I wish they had good quality footage back in those days. That would be cool.:)

Nobody from black and white era. If anything I would have loved to see WI in prime.

Yeh, the WI for sure. Espeically the transistion phase between WI and Australian dominance.

Users who are viewing this thread