What cricketers would you like to have seen play?

I'm not sure, but it might have been South Africa, led by Graeme Pollock ?

South Africa beat Australia 31 in South Africa 3-1 in 1967 and then South Africa beat Australia again 4-0 in 1970. South Africa were then banned from International cricket afterwards and then Australia were the dominant figure through the 70 when they were captained by Ian Chappell and then his brother Greg until the West Indies took over their long rein of domiance in 1976-77.

The Windies batsman/captain Frank Worrell

Very inspirational crickter indeed. He changed the face of West Indies cricket and help build names such as Gary Sobers become legends in their own right.

Last edited:
I would of loved to see Jimmy Laker the English Off-Spinner. I would love to see an Offspinner with a legit action actually rip through lineups seeing as Im an off-spinner myself.

I would of also loved to see the apparent "Black Bradman", George Headley.

Well who was the dominant side in between? I only really started watching cricket in my teen years.

Nobody domianted world cricket for long time before Australia just became unbeatable. Every team was good in there den in those days.

SA was the dominant side in ODI in terms of winning% till 1998 before loosing out to Australia.

I would of loved to see Jimmy Laker the English Off-Spinner. I would love to see an Offspinner with a legit action actually rip through lineups seeing as Im an off-spinner myself.

Saqlain has best Off spinning action. Infact hes one who made off spin famous just as Warnie made leg spin famous. Infact he has contributed more than Warnie by bringing in DOOSRA to world cricket.

Last edited:
'Demon' Spofforth, WG Grace, Victor Trumper, Don Bradman, Bill O'Reilly Richie Benaud, Garfield Sobers. For later years, say after 1975 there's quite a few video's/dvd's available.

Saqlain has best Off spinning action. Infact hes one who made off spin famous just as Warnie made leg spin famous. Infact he has contributed more than Warnie by bringing in DOOSRA to world cricket.

I would say that Laker's 19 wickets at Old Trafford is more of a contribution to world cricket simply because he has set a record that nobody will ever be able to beat. If Jim Laker had a doosra, then he would of been unplayable on turning wickets (if he wasn't already).

Saqlain has made a contribution to cricket by not only bringing in the doosra but also for making spin bowling and finger spin bowling as a more wicket taking option particularly in ODI's, when the spinners is usually introducted in the middle of the innings and used to keep runs down while wickets usually go to the faster men.

I would say that Laker's 19 wickets at Old Trafford is more of a contribution to world cricket simply because he has set a record that nobody will ever be able to beat. If Jim Laker had a doosra, then he would of been unplayable on turning wickets (if he wasn't already).

How can a record be contribution to game. What contribution did Lara's 400 did to game. Even WI could not win that game. That score did not contribute to WI then how can it be contribution to cricket.

A guy introduces new ball which is so difficult to art and that only 3 bowlers in world can bowl it successfully and you say its not a contribution. :eek:

How can a record be contribution to game. What contribution did Lara's 400 did to game. Even WI could not win that game. That score did not contribute to WI then how can it be contribution to cricket.

A guy introduces new ball which is so difficult to art and that only 3 bowlers in world can bowl it successfully and you say its not a contribution. :eek:

I suppose we'll take away Tendulkar record run scoring records etc shall we and you'll have the same opinion?

More than 3 bowlers in the world can do it. A lot of off spinners have it in their armory these days. Alex Loudon, has/had it, and he was a very average county cricket. In England we have 4 spinners between the ages of 16 and 19 who can bowl it at England skills sets, and I can promise you that because the First Team Coach at the club is the England Youth Spinners coach. Essex's have a 20 year old offie who bowls it and can't get a game for their seconds in the previous summer.

To break the world record highest individual score is something special against a good bowling attack regardless of how the matched finished.

Jim Laker took 19 wickets against a good Australian side and broke a record that nobody will beat with orthodox off spin.

These performances are contributions to the game because only the most special player can archive them and they need a fair amount of skill.

Saqlian doosra was a great thing to come in with for off spinners but if you said whether that or Lakers 19 wickets was more of a contribution to cricket, they would of said the latter.

I suppose we'll take away Tendulkar record run scoring records etc shall we and you'll have the same opinion?

More than 3 bowlers in the world can do it. A lot of off spinners have it in their armory these days. Alex Loudon, has/had it, and he was a very average county cricket. In England we have 4 spinners between the ages of 16 and 19 who can bowl it at England skills sets, and I can promise you that because the First Team Coach at the club is the England Youth Spinners coach. Essex's have a 20 year old offie who bowls it and can't get a game for their seconds in the previous summer.

Yeah I forgot how much you guys love records in PC. I love watching Tendulkar for the game he has not for records. How many records in batting does Gilly have. I still love to see him bat.

And I dont like to talk about past players much as I cannot comment on anyone I have not seen play. If Clarke were to retire today then 50 years down the line everyone will say he was one if greatest left arm spinners not to bowl much but when the truth is that he has got some cheap wickets on one very dogy wicket and once when Indian tail foolishly got out in one over.

To break the world record highest individual score is something special against a good bowling attack regardless of how the matched finished.

Jim Laker took 19 wickets against a good Australian side and broke a record that nobody will beat with orthodox off spin.

These performances are contributions to the game because only the most special player can archive them and they need a fair amount of skill.

Saqlian doosra was a great thing to come in with for off spinners but if you said whether that or Lakers 19 wickets was more of a contribution to cricket, they would of said the latter.

Read the lines, it says sucessfully. Every leg spinner can bowl googly but that does not mean that they all deserve to be playing in first 11. Good that England have found some spinners but im sure even kid playing gully cricket in subcontinent can bowl well than most of spinners in England.

Last edited:
Read the lines, it says sucessfully. Every leg spinner can bowl googly but that does not mean that they all deserve to be playing in first 11. Good that England have found some spinners but im sure even kid playing gully cricket in subcontinent can bowl well than most of spinners in England.

Are you saying that child spinners in India are better than Laker?

Look I don't see what your getting at. Saqlain invented the doosra and used it to great effect himself as well as others who added to their game such as Murali and Harbahjan but Saqlain nor anybody else is going to take 19 wickets in a test match ever again. Tell me who left their mark on cricket the most?

Users who are viewing this thread