• Broadband

Votes: 28 93.3%
  • Dial up

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • Go to Cyber cafe

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
The Champ said:
lan is different from connection if ur lan is around 512 then may be urs will be at around may be 1-10mdps depending that too on the traffic in ur lan

Um...what ?

What're you trying to say ?

dayne said:
it cannot possibly be ONE HUNDRED MEGABYTES PER SECOND..! lol, i dont know what that means, but i am still not convinced... youd be able to d/load a full feature film within half an hour at that rate..!

It would be 100 megabits per second with there being 8 bits in a byte. Therefore the maximum download speed would be 12.5 Megabytes per second.

I'm confused, my network connections thing says 10.0 Mbps and 400.0Mbps but the test download speed said 284 kbps. Which one is most important value when judging speed?

Also, my "integrated fast ethernet controller" is unplugged. What is this?, what does it do and should it be plugged in?

Last edited:
themuel1 said:
I'm confused, my network connections thing says 10.0 Mbps and 400.0Mbps but the test download speed said 284 kbps. Which one is most important value when judging speed?

Also, my "integrated fast ethernet controller" is unplugged. What is this?, what does it do and should it be plugged in?

COMPUTERS! Can't live with em, can't live without em :mad

indiancricketer said:
100MBps is the speed of your network not your modem
I second that point.

There is no such thing as 100MBps DSL. Even DSL 2 doesn't even match up anywhere near that.
The maximum DSL connection that you can get in Australia is 512/256 upstream/downstream in KBps. Some expensive plans have 1500 (around 1.5mb) upstream.
Most cable plans run at 1024/512 KBps.

Last edited:
duffarama said:
I second that point.

There is no such thing as 100MBps DSL. Even DSL 2 doesn't even match up anywhere near that.
The maximum DSL connection that you can get in Australia is 512/256 upstream/downstream in KBps.
Most cable plans run at 1024/512 KBps.
You can get upwards of 8MB DSL in Australia (iibroadband2 with iinet), DSL connections of 3MB plus are standard in some parts of Europe

To everyone: 100/400MB readings are the speed of your network card, basically transfer speed over a LAN, and as ADSL modems connect to the PC through this card, this is the speed shown for the connection in the taskbar- ignore it. If you test your connection speed (there's sites for it), your download speed will be roughly 1/8 of that- for example my 512/128 connection has an actual speed of around 420 kb/s, and downloads at around 50kb/s. I must say, I find it amusing how many people are paying for DSL without even knowing what speeds they're paying for :)

Last edited:
brad352 said:
You can get upwards of 8MB DSL in Australia (iibroadband2 with iinet), DSL connections of 3MB plus are standard in some parts of Europe.
That just proves to you that you simply just cannot get 100Mbit DSL connections. Added to that, you would rarely find even a 10Mbit plan. ;)

Lucky my the speed of my cable plan is uncapped. Haha.
On the bill it says uncapped/512. ;)

Ste said:
It would be 100 megabits per second with there being 8 bits in a byte. Therefore the maximum download speed would be 12.5 Megabytes per second.

Damn, you beat me! Yes, here's a little primer. Computers cannot understand the decimal system--therefore they use a little thing called the binary system. Everything is stored in little things called bits. Each bit can represent one of two states--1 (on) or 0 (off). Everything is made up of bits. 8 bits has been defined to be called a byte. A kilobyte is NOT 1000 bytes--it's 2^10 = 1024 bytes. The reason we call it kilobyte, using the SI prefix, is because 1024 is approx. 1000. Its just easy on us.

There was once a little movement which wanted to differentiate the SI prefixes and name the byte denominations things like kibibytes and mibibytes or something like that. Didn't work out, for obvious reasons. USUALLy when connection speeds are given, they are quoted in Megabits per second (Mbps) or Kilobits per second (kbps) for dialup modems. So you take your generic 56 kbps dial-up modem. Your maximum download speed, technically, is 56/8 = 7 kilobytes per second (kBps). This is basically the speed you get in downloading software et al. Things such as hardware performance can affect this speed. Another factor that affects this is net congestion. Basically the internet signals have to wait before they can get through.

As most of the people on this thread have already mentioned, 100 Mbps (100 megabits per second) is the network connection speed of your connection. A local area network is basically a network of computers close to each other. If your building has a LAN, for example, you could probably exchange data at that rate (you would of course have to convert to megabytes per second by dividing by 8). The standard ethernet network cards come with a speed of 100 Mbps. Wireless cards (802.11b) came at the speed of 11 Mbps.

What's the moral? Don't use dial-up. I am still trying to follow that moral. Failing miserably.

sohummisra said:
A local area network is basically a network of computers close to each other.
The computers do not have to be close to each other mate. ;)
Just to let you know.

In its simplest form, a network is at least two computers (eg desktops, laptops) connected together with wireless or wired technologies. That's it.

Users who are viewing this thread