Your Cricket whats the best grip for a seam bowler

shammy

School Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
i am a fast bowler and was wondering what is the best grip to use for maximum swing and pace :yes

Place your fingers comfortably and nicely spread apart on the seam.

A useful tip bowlers have told me is if you want to bowl an inswinger, put most of the energy from your 1st finger. And for an outswinger use the 2nd finger the most.

How important is your wrist action/movement and what should it ideally be like?

I will tell you how i do it but i bowl sling, so it may be of no use. To bowl a swinger i just grip the ball how i normally do and if it swings it swings i can get it to go either way.

But my cutters are my best weapon, i bowled leg spin for a while and could turn a ball a long way, so for a leg cutter i just flick my fingers similarly to when i bowl spin. For a off cutter i drag my fingers down the right hand side of the ball.

You shouldn't move your wrist, ideally you need to have most of the momentum going through the ball.

You do move your wrist. It helps swing bowling if you flick your risk when releasing the ball.

You do move your wrist. It helps swing bowling if you flick your risk when releasing the ball.

Exactly, just look at the footage of Asif and Aamer, they both do a wrist flick upon release of the ball.

Place your fingers comfortably and nicely spread apart on the seam.

A useful tip bowlers have told me is if you want to bowl an inswinger, put most of the energy from your 1st finger. And for an outswinger use the 2nd finger the most.

Oddly enough, I was taught the opposite from my coach. Right hand bowler to right hand batsman, to swing the ball in you angle the seam towards legstump and force it out with your middle finger, and for an outswinger angle the seam towards the slips and use your index finger.

well, if u want the ball to nip into the batsman off the pitch use the outswinger grip with a powerful follow through. u may loose a bit of pace, but on a dry dusty wicket it works quite nicely.

Oddly enough, I was taught the opposite from my coach. Right hand bowler to right hand batsman, to swing the ball in you angle the seam towards legstump and force it out with your middle finger, and for an outswinger angle the seam towards the slips and use your index finger.

Well that is wrong. Because if you are going to use your middle finger, then you are rotating the ball in your hand and delivering it sideways.

The #1 rule for pace bowlers is you need to have most of the energy going through the ball, whether be it the wrist posting or rotation of the arm or you run-up.

TumTum added 2 Minutes and 45 Seconds later...

But you will lose the pace. Just because Asif's getting the ball to talk, doesn't mean you will too. Otherwise coach's should start saying bat like Sehwag and have no footwork, it just doesn't work that way.

I've tried it, but the ball doesn't rotate on it's seam...

Maybe the way you've been shown to hold the ball is different from mine? I hold it with the tip of the middle finger on the seam (inswinger) and both fingers pressed together, and tip of the index finger on the seam (outswinger) with both fingers pressed together.

I've tried it, but the ball doesn't rotate on it's seam...

Maybe the way you've been shown to hold the ball is different from mine? I hold it with the tip of the middle finger on the seam (inswinger) and both fingers pressed together, and tip of the index finger on the seam (outswinger) with both fingers pressed together.

Probably. The tip of my index finger is on the edge of lhs of the seam and my middle finger is on the rhs edge of the seam. So it wouldn't work with my grip but would with yours.

But you will lose the pace. Just because Asif's getting the ball to talk, doesn't mean you will too. Otherwise coach's should start saying bat like Sehwag and have no footwork, it just doesn't work that way.

All international class seam bowlers flick their wrist. Waqar Younis, Michael Holding and Ian Botham all agree with me so...

All international class seam bowlers flick their wrist. Waqar Younis, Michael Holding and Ian Botham all agree with me so...

But you are talking about international level, those are guys well trained and professionals. They have great accuracy so they do rely on little wrist adjustments and make a ball behave differently.

But really at just club level, it doesn't make any difference what you do with your wrist, because every batsmen has a technical deficiency, every bowler has an accuracy problem.

Best way is to keep it simple and stick to the basics.

Users who are viewing this thread