Your Cricket whats the best grip for a seam bowler

It most certainly does; they had a section in the last test match where they talked about how important having a flexible wrist was generating pace, keeping accuracy and allowing swing.

Seriously even club players need a smooth albeit uncomplicated flick of their wrist on delivery.

Yup I remember the video and they were talking about how Aamir and Asif flick the wrist but Broad does not.

That ain't a flick. That is simply the momentum of the ball. As you start swinging your arm the ball moves back (simple physics) and after it reaches the speed of the arm it moves forward, but obviously Brett Lee is not putting any effort in the wrist. You don't even need to watch that video to know that.

Well you may say it isn't but Ian Botham and Holding were talking about it yesterday and that it does aid you greatly when bowling. Although he may not be thinking during his action "I'd better flick my wrist" I'm sure he's practiced it at some point and does specialized exercise to keep a strong yet supple wrist.

Obviously if it doesn't come naturally and you can't really train yourself into doing it you're better just bowling naturally and practising from there.

If you don't do during the session in the 3rd test they did say that it can make it alot harder to get any swing and it can be harder to keep you accuracy hence the Broad example which was given. Another example for me would be Johnson; has a very stiff wrist which often causes him to bowl where his action takes him and can't swing the ball at all.

I don't think the wrist is Johnson's problem (many people have stiff wrists but accurate like McGrath) but more to do so with his release point. It is horrible to see in slow-mo.

Yeah i agree with tum tum, but.. themer has a good point i suppose if you used the right kind of action you could flick your wrist and generate a-bit more pace but it would be hardly noticeable.

Best way to generate pace, bowl sling.

I agree with the sling comment. The more roundarm and whippy your action, the more pace you are likely to get.

Not exactly 100% correct but your on the right track. Just youtube Jeff Thomson and you will understand real sling not the flicky crap that Malinga bowls.

Oh, I understand what you mean, but I just can't do that :p I've tried. For me it turns out the closer I get to being roundarm/side-arm, the faster I can bowl. But I can't manage the full slingy action.

I use Thomson's bowling action when I really get pissed at the batsmen :p Not really for line-length, I don't mind if it comes out a full-toss either ;)

It depends on a number of things. What make of ball? How many overs bowled with it? The wicket and air conditions? State of the game..are you bowling to win or bowling not to lose? Is it reverse swinging? Is it seaming? Is it cutting? Is it a slow ball? Is it a "lifter"? Seam pointing to 1st/2nd slip for outswinger...seam up straight but inverted shine for reverse swing? Scrambled seam for changes in lateral movement and bounce height......I could go on.

I believe there's nothing like universal best grip. The best grip of the ball varies from bowler to bowler having different actions.

Users who are viewing this thread