Where to learn CSS/HTML?

Lucky

International Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
Well, I have a problem at the moment.

I was looking around the web for a few companies who could design a website for me. I got a quote of about $1500AUD, and in most cases above $1000, and I can't afford that.

So, that got me thinking, why don't I actually buy a decent computer instead and then design the website myself?

The main thing I would need to learn would be CSS and HTML, I already know basic HTML but still.

I would to know of any sites/books etc that you guys recommend, or just some help in general from those who know about this stuff already.

Would be appreciated.

Thanks
Lucky

MattW

Administrator
Admin
Big Ant
PlanetCricket Award Winner
Melbourne Stars
Profile Flag
Australia
Well, I have a problem at the moment.

I was looking around the web for a few companies who could design a website for me. I got a quote of about $1500AUD, and in most cases above $1000, and I can't afford that.

So, that got me thinking, why don't I actually buy a decent computer instead and then design the website myself?

The main thing I would need to learn would be CSS and HTML, I already know basic HTML but still.

I would to know of any sites/books etc that you guys recommend, or just some help in general from those who know about this stuff already.

Would be appreciated.

Thanks
Lucky
If you PM me with what you are wanting in the site I could probably give you a quote which would be way less than those figures. I designed the current layout for PlanetCricket and have quite a bit of other coding experience as well as some good graphical design skills.

As for answering your question, looking at the code of existing websites and the huge amount of free templates available and then having a play around with changing stuff on it is a much easier way of learning. You learn what things do what and from that you'll be able to develop an understanding of the structure of the code and what tags achieve what purpose. To fill in the gaps w3schools is quite good, but hands on learning worked better in my experience.

viral1991

International Cricketer
I agree with Matt. Tweaking the templates in different ways & thus, gaining first-hand experience is the best way to go. :)

Lucky

International Cricketer
Yeah, That's exactly what I did. I'll get there eventually, in no rush to get it all done :p

Kshitiz_Indian

Executive member
I'll offer a quote lower than Matt! :p

Now to end this bidding scenario, on a more serious note, I would say what other's said before me lol, trying it yourself is much better way of doing it, rather than first mugging all the theory part and trying to apply it.

Lucky

International Cricketer
Yeah, I read through some HTML examples and stuff and played around with it, just to see what the different parts of the code do what.

sohum

Executive member
Profile Flag
India
Are you looking at a dynamic website? Otherwise the quotes are quite ridiculous! A static website should take no more than 10 hours or so to build for a professional, and that's almost AUD150 per hour...

Lucky

International Cricketer
You want to know how much I got quoted? (for a dynamic site), one company told me $5000AUD and another a whopping $15000AUD!

I'm probably just going to try using Joomla and design the site that way, might be the most cost effective option and still look half decent.

Users who are viewing this thread