Who should be India's number three batsman ?

Who should be India's new number three batsman ?

• Ajinkya Rahane

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Virender Sehwag

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Atharv

Club Cricketer
Online Cricket Games Owned
With Dravid's impending retirement , the number three slot will be open. Who are the possible candidates for number three slot ?

Here is a small list

Cheteshwar Pujara .
Ajinkya Rahane
Virat Kohli.
Virendra Sehwag.

Sehwag has been demanding that he be sent down the order for quite sometime now. So there is a possibility that he might be number three with Kohli at six or they might swap places . But six is too low a number for Sehwag unless Laxman is retiring anytime soon. If Sehwag and Kohli swap places then Rahane might get a look in as an opening partner for Gambhir and Pujara might lose out .

What do you think ?

SLICKR392

Club Captain
As per for me. There is no one to fill that slot. Kohli is more of a No.4 batsmen.
On your list..I would go for Pujara any day.

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
PlanetCricket Award Winner
CHETESHWAR PUJARA it would be for me too! Solid bat, has the technique to survive tough conditions, and most importantly has a very calm and composed personality just like his predecessor Rahul Dravid!

Rahane is a good choice, but considering that we have a dearth of good backup of openers (only Mukund is in the horizon), I want Rahane to slot in as an opener in test cricket. He has been a solid No.3 for Mumbai and a No.3 can always slot in well as an opener (due to the technique required). Rahane and Gambhir to open, with Pujara and Kohli at No.3 and 4 would be ideal. Sehwag at No.3 is a silly proposal. We have been trying to get him away from the new ball in test cricket, and you want him at No.3 when many a time you might walk out with the scoreboard reading 0/1 in the first few balls? If at all Sehwag continues in test cricket, it should be at No.5 or No.6

Atharv

Club Cricketer
What do you think dude? Who would you like to see as the top 3?

It depends a lot on Sehwag's call . If Sehwag wants to get shift lower down the order then he might probably choose number 5 (Kohli's place) . Probability of Sehwag coming at number 3 is quite remote . So Kohli might be up at number three. In that case Rahane will be a good choice as an opener .If Sehwag continues as an opener then Pujara might be number three or number six. But I think that Kohli might like to come at number three . There are a lot of permutations and combinations .

As per for me. There is no one to fill that slot. Kohli is more of a No.4 batsmen.
On your list..I would go for Pujara any day.

Any specific player ? There is a fifth option for that in the poll

CHETESHWAR PUJARA it would be for me too! Solid bat, has the technique to survive tough conditions, and most importantly has a very calm and composed personality just like his predecessor Rahul Dravid!

Rahane is a good choice, but considering that we have a dearth of good backup of openers (only Mukund is in the horizon), I want Rahane to slot in as an opener in test cricket. He has been a solid No.3 for Mumbai and a No.3 can always slot in well as an opener (due to the technique required). Rahane and Gambhir to open, with Pujara and Kohli at No.3 and 4 would be ideal. Sehwag at No.3 is a silly proposal. We have been trying to get him away from the new ball in test cricket, and you want him at No.3 when many a time you might walk out with the scoreboard reading 0/1 in the first few balls? If at all Sehwag continues in test cricket, it should be at No.5 or No.6

Yes , Pujara would be a good choice . I don't think Sehwag will want number three slot. I was just trying to cover all bases .
Rahane is actually an opening batsman . He started his career as an opening batter and was successful . I guess, to get into the Indian team he started slotting himself as a middle order batsman . He has being successful both as a middle order batsman and as an opener .
There is also that Dark Horse Rohit sharma.

IMO , Pujara or Rahane should be in the team, provided BCCI does not spring a surprise , like Raina at number three spot or as an opener.

puddleduck

Chairman of Selectors
Obviously I'm not as much in the know about Indian domestic cricket, but I admit to liking the look of Rahane when he played. Seems like he could have a good future, although he'll need the chances. I can definitely see him as an opening batsman.

6ry4nj

International Coach
Sehwag is not a number 3 imo. If he doesn't want to open, and still gets in the team, he needs to go down to 5 or 6. Given that Gambhir is needed at opener, and number 3 is not a position for noobs, that only leaves Kohli or Sachin (funny no-one's mentioned him).

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
Sehwag is not a number 3 imo. If he doesn't want to open, and still gets in the team, he needs to go down to 5 or 6. Given that Gambhir is needed at opener, and number 3 is not a position for noobs, that only leaves Kohli or Sachin (funny no-one's mentioned him).

Did you watch Pujara when he played against Australia? He is certainly not a noob. And we are talking about a long term No.3 and Sachin doesnt figure in that plan (his international career might be another 1 to a max of 2 years).

Rohit Doshi

International Coach
Well for me the lineup for the next test match should be this which will also state my no 3.

Gautam Gambhir
Ajinkya Rahane
Cheteshwar Pujara
Sachin Tendulkar
VVS Laxman
Virat Kohli
MS Dhoni
Harbhajan Singh
Umesh Yadav
Zaheer Khan
Praveen Kumar/Ishant Sharma/Ashok Dinda

SaiSrini

Respected Legend
CSK
Looks like the non-Indians here rate Kohli higher and want him to be our No.3 after Dravid.

Rohit Doshi

International Coach
Well it could be possible Just swap Pujara's and Kohli's position and still this will be fine.

AbhishekS

Chairman of Selectors
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
Pujara at 3 and Kohli at 4 looks perfect to me.
If Sehwag wants to move down to the middle order, then he should be at number 5 with Gambhir and Rahane opening. But I feel that Sehwag should continue opening for us, no one else can have that kind of an impact at the opening slot which Sehwag has.

Users who are viewing this thread