Who should open with Alastair Cook this summer

Who should open with Cook?

• Total voters
Think they will stick with Hales and Compton, especially now Taylor isnt playing, and then Ballance or Bell to replace Taylor

I think Hales will stay in the team, but I think he might be down the order. Ballance will most probably replace Taylor and bat at 3.

I'm with Hales. England have been brave and emphatic in their ODI selection, they need to do the same in tests. Hales is a guy who could become our Hayden and I'd love that. Some excitement at the top order in test cricket. Cook and Root are all very good at holding the fort.

Well it looks like this selection committee have gone for Compton. I reckon that's what will actually happen.

Alex Hales might open with Cook
and Compton will bat no.3

So the battle for this spot hots up.

The man in the seat (Hales) is taking a break for a few weeks.

The favourite (Compton) bags a first ball duck today.

Adam Lyth is currently 90 n.o

Sam Robson hits a century.

Lyth and Robson have done it before, so could see either of them coming in if they continue their good form.

I think Hales' decision to take a break from the game is interesting. Big risk in that his rivals might have a great start to the season. However, he might be better for it, as he's played non-stop for the whole winter.

Robson has taken advantage of some awful bears bowling today (we are without Woakes and Rankin through injury-looking toothless), Compton fell to a great catch at backward point, but was playing away froom his body. Itll be between Lyth and Hales for opening, Compton will bat 3 i think, although interestingly Ballance batted 3 for Yorks, but i think itll be between bell and ballnace for #5

I think Nick Compton might be playing himself out of the team. He's got no form and is batting so slowly.

Sam Robson is obviously the form batsman in county cricket. Wouldn't be so against him getting a recall to be honest. Especially if he's worked on the technical issues he had.

I think England will look to stick with either one of Hales or Compton, so Hales may be given another series to prove himself as an opener. Probably fair enough to give him a home series.

Nick Browne is being mentioned by quite a few journalists as someone who might be given a debut. Although I like him and he may end up being the new Cook, I can't help but think a debut would only be because Cook had some influence over selection.

One name not in the poll is Daniel Bell-Drummond. He's been talked about for 3 or 4 years as a special talent. Scored a hundred today. Will he finally step up in Rob Key's absence.

Well this is a really tough one now. I thought Compton a few weeks back but I've been persuaded that his approach to batting isn't great for the team and he's in dreadful form. I think I'd stick with Hales for a summer, but he's chosen to rest instead of score runs in the championship.

Sam Robson, Daniel Bell-Drummond, Ben Duckett and Alex Lees have all scored good early season runs. DBD and Lees are both very young and have been 'future England players' for a while now. Is it time for one of them to step up? Robson had technical issues last time he played test cricket, but if he's sorted then out then there's no reason that he shouldn't get a recall.

Adam Lyth, Mark Stoneman and Rory Burns haven't done enough so far his year. All journalists seem to think that Nick Browne will be named in the squad, but I don't see how he's done enough to warrant selection.

So, it's still pretty open.

Nick Browne would be in my squad, but he would have been at the start of last summer too.

I don't much about current England domestic players but I just came across the profile of Tom Westley. He bat at 3 but he's been amazing of late. Why not try him?

I don't much about current England domestic players but I just came across the profile of Tom Westley. He bat at 3 but he's been amazing of late. Why not try him?

He's a good player, but he doesn't really open so would be a big risk to open in a test match. He's done it on occasions and does it a lot in one day cricket. Don't think it'll be long before he gets and ODI or t20 cap.

Users who are viewing this thread