Who should open with Alastair Cook this summer

Who should open with Cook?

• Total voters

bigred

Club Captain
Online Cricket Games Owned
I'd personally go for Nick Compton. I don't think the guy is amazing, but he's prepared to see off the shine and with our hard hitting middle order, that's a pretty good thing.

A lot of my mates want either Mark Stoneman or Nick Browne. I haven't seen enough of them yet to make a judgement.

Markkkkk

I have waited 10 years for this!
Profile Flag
South Africa
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
James Vince. Who'll keep? James Vince. Open the bowling? James Vince? Opening with James Vince? James Vince. Replacement for Anderson? James Vince. In for Ali? Liam Dawson.

bigred

Club Captain
James Vince. Who'll keep? James Vince. Open the bowling? James Vince? Opening with James Vince? James Vince. Replacement for Anderson? James Vince. In for Ali? Liam Dawson.

Are you implying that England fans are hyping up Vince too much?

bigred

Club Captain
I'd like them to go with Hales or Roy, keep Compton at 3.

I think it's inevitable that Roy will play in the test team, and I don't think that's a bad thing. Bayliss is slowly building a very exciting team. If Compton and Taylor keep scratching around and failing, it might be better to get guys in who will fail on occasions, but when they get gong for a session, can take a game away from you.

However, I'm not sure he'll open. I think he'd have to demonstrate that he can do that for Surrey first. It's more likely that he'd come in for Taylor at 5, if he has a bad series against SL.

Matt Price

School Cricketer
Profile Flag
England
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
I'm a Yorkshire fan, and Adam Lyth may of failed in the ashes. But I watched the England vs NewZealand game at Headingly Stadium and Adam Lyth and Alistair Cook had an amazing opening partnership, and it looked like Adam Lyth could of been Cook's perfect partnering batsman. So I think England should give Lyth another chance.

bigred

Club Captain
I'm a Yorkshire fan, and Adam Lyth may of failed in the ashes. But I watched the England vs NewZealand game at Headingly Stadium and Adam Lyth and Alistair Cook had an amazing opening partnership, and it looked like Adam Lyth could of been Cook's perfect partnering batsman. So I think England should give Lyth another chance.

Well if you read what Alastair Cook said yesterday, I think he's got no chance. He named 5 cricketers in the frame for a test call up:
1. Nick Browne
2. James Vince
3. Gary Ballance
4. Craig Overton
5. Ben Foakes

Matt Price

School Cricketer
Profile Flag
England
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Xbox 360
Well if you read what Alastair Cook said yesterday, I think he's got no chance. He named 5 cricketers in the frame for a test call up:
1. Nick Browne
2. James Vince
3. Gary Ballance
4. Craig Overton
5. Ben Foakes
Ok I didn't hear what he said.

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
I haven't seen much of Browne, but averaging 40 in Division Two isn't exactly tearing it up. I think they'll go with Compton. Has experience at Test level and always look tidy technique wise, which is useful if the ball is nipping around early season. He should be OK for this Summer before Tom Abell takes over, anyway. ;)

bigred

Club Captain
I haven't seen much of Browne, but averaging 40 in Division Two isn't exactly tearing it up. I think they'll go with Compton. Has experience at Test level and always look tidy technique wise, which is useful if the ball is nipping around early season. He should be OK for this Summer before Tom Abell takes over, anyway. ;)

He went down to Australia and did very well playing first grade cricket. Many have gone and failed in Australia.

MUFC1987

Panel of Selectors
I did hear about that and I'm sure it's great for him, but it's still club cricket. He wouldn't even be in the discussion if he put up those numbers for Northamptonshire or Gloucestershire, rather than for Alastair Cook's Essex.

bigred

Club Captain
I did hear about that and I'm sure it's great for him, but it's still club cricket. He wouldn't even be in the discussion if he put up those numbers for Northamptonshire or Gloucestershire, rather than for Alastair Cook's Essex.

Perhaps, but Graham Thorpe has also said he's a star in the making.

SpitfiresKent

ICC Board Member
ZIM...
Profile Flag
England
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
  2. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - Steam PC
  3. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS4
I'd like to see Hales get given more time to prove himself.

dp458

Club Captain
  1. Don Bradman Cricket 14 - PS3
Think they will stick with Hales and Compton, especially now Taylor isnt playing, and then Ballance or Bell to replace Taylor

Users who are viewing this thread