Who will host the 2009 Champions trophy now?

The Age reported today that it was going to be held in Sri Lanka, didn't even mention Australia as a possibility. Don't know if it's accurate, but they didn't even say it was a discussion, just said Sri Lanka.

Oh god! Sri Lanka is getting boring... The same slow and low wickets!!

cricinfo says they are thinking about it.

what i dont get is, how come India can hold all those series after bombing and every thing, why cant Pakistan?

You mean 26/11? Look mate, in Pakistan, in average two suicide-bomb blasts happen everyday. And in India.......well, nearly 3 months have passed since 26/11. And in these three months NOT A SINGLE BLAST has happened in WHOLE INDIA. So I think this clearly shows which is a safer country and which is a terror infested country.

Like you I can also say mate, "If England can hold cricket matches after 7/7 and US can hold baseball matches after 9/11 why can't India?"

.....Or just have it in Australia. Bigger and better stadiums = more profit. Why 17 years since a tournament??

Expected that.

I wish if SA was given the chance, that'll be amazing! Australia too is an opinion... But for some reason I'm rooting for SA to get the golden chance.

Oh god! Sri Lanka is getting boring... The same slow and low wickets!!
Yeah, not again!

In fact the entire CT is a waste of space, and time, and should be scrapped, especially now that T20 WC is conducted every two years.....

Not to mention the fact that Sri Lanka had the CT already this decade.

However, it seems that the dates are non-flexible, so it wouldn't be viable to hold the tournament in Australia during September. Attendances, as Sean said, would be very low with NRL and AFL finals on.

Are the ICC clinically insane if the rumours of Sri Lanka are true, they can't not go to Pakistan on safety grounds then go to Sri Lanka which is currently in the midst of the biggest military exercise in recent years against the Tamil Tigers.

Has to be Australia, if England hadn't got the World 20/20s this year I think we'd be the best place, but has to be Australia and/or New Zealand.

Are the ICC clinically insane if the rumours of Sri Lanka are true, they can't not go to Pakistan on safety grounds then go to Sri Lanka which is currently in the midst of the biggest military exercise in recent years against the Tamil Tigers.

Has to be Australia, if England hadn't got the World 20/20s this year I think we'd be the best place, but has to be Australia and/or New Zealand.

They are true. :(

I agree with you. Australia was the best place. Well, anyway, we must not expect any sensible decision from an organization run by mentally challenged people.

Yeah I agree with you wholeheartedly on it. The SL government and army are carrying out a huge genocide type operation against the LTTE and lots of Tamil civilian people are getting destroyed in it. And there have been instances where teams have refused to play games in Sri Lanka due to bombings. India playing there doesnt mean its safe.

Absolutely, i was shocked when i saw this. Its just like deploying the event in an open mine field instead of a battlefield.

Obviously it would be rescheduled to October/November if it was in Australia Sean, we wouldn't leave it in AFL and NRL finals time.

Australia does seem the obvious host, since we missed out on the 2011 World Cup. We certainly have the grounds and the fans to do the tournament well.

We're playing in India for 7 ODIs. I read somewhere that they won't budge on this. And in November, we are playing Pakistan for 3 Tests, followed by WI for 3 tests (according to cricinfo).

But how long will the tournament take?

Gilly Fan added 2 Minutes and 58 Seconds later...

But they had the 20/20 World Cup? Surely its our turn to have 'something'.

Lol they didn't give it to us when the were dominating, now they could give it to us when we may fail.

But yeah, if SA get it. That's all 3 tournaments in 6 years. We aren't due to hold another major tournament until the 2015 World Cup.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_Cricket_World_Cup

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread